Language…
17 users online: AllexGG, BearAndBoarFan, Children's Digest 1950-2009, deporteed, Domokun007, GrenCarret, jollyball77, Mr.Man, MrInstigation,  PermaBan, PPAP,  quietmason, Ringo, SAMYR DUTRA ARAUJO, Storm Kyleis, Tiozinho, Yoshi Master - Guests: 82 - Bots: 436
Users: 54,985 (2,175 active)
Latest user: FantasticFox

Proof of Concept for my Arcade Style Hack

Super Mario WorldStandardWork in ProgressDemoScreenshots

RADICAL COOL GAMING

This one's on the house. *Slides you a quarter*

---> DOWNLOAD THE DEMO <---

About

I'm currently working on a new project that explores retro arcade games. The focus is on high score gaming.

The demo is just one game. Intended difficulty is standard: normal. The level can't be "beaten", and it should only take a few minutes to see what it's about. It's SA-1.



Please excuse the lack of bells and whistles (title screen, music, overworld, etc.) Since I just released a major hack, I haven't had time to really flesh out this concept yet, but here are some ideas I'm exploring for other features:

+Randomized overworld and levels
+Different game modes (adventure, endless)
+More score mechanics like coins, dragon coins, bonus games, etc.
+Original soundtrack

My current plan is to have 10 games, each with a sibling level that creates some kind of twist, like a different level, enemies, gimmick, or direction.

Credits

+Playtesting: Heraga
+Thanks: AmperSam, Heraga, lx5, meatlof, Runic_Rain, TheBiob

Post your high scores

+Glitchcat7: 159,400 (in 5 lives)
+NewPointless: 18,200
+Nicoke42: 10,600 points (in 1 life)
+Lungfish: 10,000 points
+Idealiter: 20 coins (at least 4,000 points)
NewPointless
Such a genuinely charming concept! Even if it's a bit simple for the time-being (proof of concept and all), it's got my attention. Love the idea of taking a couple of SMW's mechanics and bending them into their own little mini-game, and more of these would be great! Controls were a bit clunky playing a keyboard, though I imagine playing on controller would feel much more natural and you'd be able to get much farther than I was personally able to :P
Not every day you see the score actually getting used for something, so that's a nice thing to see. I think it's a really neat idea overall, good luck finishing it up!
What a really novel idea! Frankly, a minigame compilation hack is way too rare, so I'm excited to see where this goes. This particular game could've been a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm guessing it's specifically based on Berzerk? And do you plan on making the rest of the games have a sort of counterpart, or are you hoping to make some that are more invented?

Originally posted by icrawfish
Not every day you see the score actually getting used for something, so that's a nice thing to see. I think it's a really neat idea overall, good luck finishing it up!

Scores are also a really rare thing to utilize, and I think there's a lot of potential here. Even in this one, the hazards could dynamically change depending on your score, and previously harmless obstacles could become dangerous after achieving a certain score. The sky's the limit, really.

Currently working on Æther: The Infinite Library!

Other Submissions of mine!
Originally posted by Deeke
What a really novel idea! Frankly, a minigame compilation hack is way too rare, so I'm excited to see where this goes. This particular game could've been a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm guessing it's specifically based on Berzerk? And do you plan on making the rest of the games have a sort of counterpart, or are you hoping to make some that are more invented?


I was thinking of something more like Asteroids, but I could see Berzerk. Every game is going to have a counterpart. For this I'm thinking of having the same shooting mechanics, but with Mario physics. But it's still really early in development, so no guarantees! #smrpg{sick}
NewPointless
I expect to see online leaderboard functionality integrated within the games menu's by the time this releases ;)
Originally posted by Chondontore
I expect to see online leaderboard functionality integrated within the games menu's by the time this releases ;)


Have you checked out Scary Bosses and Nice Sprites? I think it's up your alley.
NewPointless

Super Mario WorldStandardWork in ProgressDemoScreenshots