EDIT2: Added additional rules - one entry per person and no partners.
EDIT3: Added rule about using NMSTL.
Welcome to the 2022nd edition of ASM Mad Scientist! Unlike previous contests, there's no more multiple rounds. You will have one theme to work with and one week to prepare your submission.
- You are allowed to use the original code of the two sprites you are mixing up for your entry. However, you should not plagiarize significant amounts of existing code made by other users. Any evidence of this will disqualify your entry.
- That being said, you are not required to use the original sprite code if you don't want to. The theme of the contest is more about the concept of mixing sprites rather than a literal mixing of code. I have decided to go this route to allow the most flexibility for entrants.
- You may only submit ONE (1) entry to this contest.
- You may not work with a partner on your entry.
- Other than NMSTL and modifications from Lunar Magic, you must be able to insert your sprite into an unmodified SMW ROM.
- All sprites have to work with the latest versions of Lunar Magic, Asar, GPS, PIXI, UberASM (it's up to you whether you want to use the tool or patch) and SA-1 Pack.
- Your entry must also work in the latest versions of both SNES9x and BSNES. Do not abuse emulator inaccuracy..
- You cannot use Open Bus, as it does not work with SNES9x.
- Do not obfuscate code. Any code which is executed should stand in plain text and may not be unreadable for the sake of being unreadable! If you need a piece of code to be obfuscated, use it sparingly and provide a comment/explanation. (Obfuscated code includes but is not limited to: Inserting precompiled code and then executing it, pushing precompiled code onto the stack and then executing it, and excessive use of macros and defines.)
- You are not required to use custom graphics/music with your submission, but you are allowed to use them if you want.
- All entries must be anonymous, so please make sure to remove your name from anywhere in your submission.
To submit your entry, please write a PM to DeppySlide under a title along the line of "Mad Scientist" or "ASM Contest" and the name of your submission (e.g. "Mad Scientist - Pitchin' Chuck Lotus Bastard"). You must include a zip (or similar) file which includes all resources used (including any graphics or music), a ReadMe file, and a BPS patch to provide a demonstration for your sprite. (An IPS or ROM will result in disqualification!)
Like previous ASM contests, there will be ranked user judging for all the entries. However, in addition to that, we also have a pair of judges: Major Flare and Donut! They will provide qualitative comments for each of the entries and then provide their top 3, which will get special trophies. Speaking of which...
The following are the trophies all participants will receive:
In addition, the top three entrants will receive a game code of their choice (from this list)!
And that's that! Please submit all your contest questions to this thread and I (and others hopefully ) will do my best to answer all of them. Happy coding!