Language…
11 users online:  Alex, Alex No,  Anorakun, Connnnair, Daniel_mi_bb_fiu_fiu, Dzing,  Fernap, FrozenQuills, Katerpie, Naturalking, Scags - Guests: 128 - Bots: 115
Users: 65,905 (2,184 active)
Latest user: Yo'ster the Toaster

The Bombs or Explosives from Gunstar Heroes, SEGA ©1993

CompleteASM

Tittle: The Bombs or Explosives from Gunstar Heroes, SEGA ©1993

Type: ASM & Sprite.

Description:
Good day guys of the SMW Central Net! The purpose of this is that I am perhaps in search of a recreation of the bombs or explosive that are in Gunstar Heroes, to be specific (because in certain point there are several explosive in this game) that acts as this of here:





How you can see, just I need these, a version to throw and one that falls slowly, I plan to use them in shooters and enemies that throw them, and like in the original game, it will inflict damage to the player and the sprites will be killed, another detail that I wanted to stand out it is that if Mario or a sprite touches it, it also explode.


And already everything would be clear, he would not need of more details!

Here they have the graphics for that:

https://bin.smwcentral.net/u/49146/GunstarHeroesBombs.zip

References:
Here they have a couple of images, one of each frame of the explosion, and the other one is an image of the GFX and, by the way, a video where we can observe that these sprites appear in JUMP 1/2 in the boss of Battlesuit Morsel :P





Here a video ^.^":
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0LljGgX-Ct4
I might claim this, but first I need a few clarifications.

In the video of Jump ½ there are the following variations:

  1. Skull Bomb, thrown: This bomb is throw with customizable horizontal and vertical speed (in a parabolic trajectory). Explodes when touching ground.
  2. Skull Bomb, falling: This bomb falls slowly, with a parachute. Explodes when touching ground.
  3. "Poké Ball" Bomb: This bomb starts flashing and explodes after a specific countdown.

From your description it seems you are requesting only (1) and (2), but not (3). The parachute (not included in the graphics) will be the same as the para-goombas. The included Walking Bomb graphics don't seem to be relevant.

About the Skull Bombs behaviour: they explode when either Mario, another sprite, or the ground touches them. They should have a "radius of explosion" (lasting until the last explosion graphics disappears), sprites in that radius are killed and Mario takes damage.

TL;DR You are requesting the Skull Bombs (thrown and falling), exploding on touch (ground, sprites, Mario), the explosion hit box lasts until the explosion animation is visible.

Did I understand everything right?
ROM Hack Manager - SMW Resources - SMW Toolbox
Hey, It's me again!

Thanks for answering this request zuccha (and for gave me the name of the bombs sprites!)

Good, for the bombs sprites versions, I've requested the version 1 & 2, but for some reason, I forgot to include the version 3 ("Poké Ball" Bomb), sorry for not updating this submission, you can include/made this version, I include the graphics for it's anyways :V

For the graphics for the version 2 (Skull Parachute Bomb) I made the propeller graphics from the original game (to make this same at the Gunstar Heroes), but you can replace it's for the parachute graphic seemed in GFX02 (Forest), it's would not be a problem.

For the Walking Bomb-omb graphics, it's don't to be relevant like you said. #smw{^_^;}

For the behavior of the version 1 (Skull Bombs) you correctly understood the behavior, it's will inflict damage to the player & sprites during the explosion if they are in the radius of damage. For trigger the explosion, if the sprite touch a wall/ground, Mario & Sprites, run to the explosion routine.

And for last, if you reach to complete the request, you would can submit this to the sprites section, it's will be great to share this. :O

If you need another thing, you can ask me, I hope that this achieved clear your questions. #smw{^_^}
Alright, I'll see what I can do then.

You might have to wait a little before I'm done though, as I need to find the time. I would guess maybe a couple of weeks max, maybe less, we'll see :|
ROM Hack Manager - SMW Resources - SMW Toolbox
No problems! Thanks you for claim this :D
Heya, update here!

I finished working on the sprite, you can download it here. Tell me if there is anything broken or that needs to be changed; once it's good I'll submit it.

You can craft whatever bomb you want via extra bytes (e.g., you can have a skull bomb that goes off on a timer, one that explodes when interacting with sprites or Mario, etc.). Settings are independent from each other, you can freely combine them. This is a list of features you requested that I implemented:

  1. Choose between skull or pokéball graphics for the bomb
  2. Detonate the bomb when touching any of the following: player, other sprites, Mario's fireballs, solid ground.
  3. Detonate the bomb when a timer goes off (you can customize the timer). A bomb on a timer blinks (alternates palette).
  4. A bomb that explodes due to interacting with another sprite immediately kills that sprite.
  5. You can set initial X and Y speed. With this you can have the bomb fall with a parabolic trajectory, go up a little bit before falling, etc.
  6. Add a parachute to the bomb. The parachute will open only when it's falling and it sets a maximum falling speed (configurable).
  7. You can sort-of easily change graphics and/or the SP graphics slot.
  8. You can insert the bomb sprite directly into the level, or have a generator spawn it for you.
  9. Damage occurs when the player hits one of the four orbiting explosion blasts. The hitboxes can be customized for each animation step (e.g., the blast first and last animation are smaller compared to the middle ones).
  10. You can change the rotation speed of the blasts and their distance from the center.

A few additional notes:

  1. I included the parachute to the graphics you provided and removed the unused walking bombs. The file now has 12 8x8 free tiles.
  2. For performance reasons, the blasts have been implemented as cluster sprites and they don't interact with other sprites (they don't kill them). I could make them check for collision with other sprites, but it might become very expensive in terms of computation, especially considering that you always have at least four of them, and more if you drop several bombs at the same time.
  3. It's SA-1 compatible.
  4. Developed with PIXI 1.40, might not work with older versions.

Here a few gifs


Edit: Fixed an issue with the setting controlling the maximum falling speed when the parachute is open. Updated download link.
ROM Hack Manager - SMW Resources - SMW Toolbox
Originally posted by zuccha
Heya, update here!

I finished working on the sprite, you can download it here. Tell me if there is anything broken or that needs to be changed; once it's good I'll submit it.

You can craft whatever bomb you want via extra bytes (e.g., you can have a skull bomb that goes off on a timer, one that explodes when interacting with sprites or Mario, etc.). Settings are independent from each other, you can freely combine them. This is a list of features you requested that I implemented:

  1. Choose between skull or pokéball graphics for the bomb
  2. Detonate the bomb when touching any of the following: player, other sprites, Mario's fireballs, solid ground.
  3. Detonate the bomb when a timer goes off (you can customize the timer). A bomb on a timer blinks (alternates palette).
  4. A bomb that explodes due to interacting with another sprite immediately kills that sprite.
  5. You can set initial X and Y speed. With this you can have the bomb fall with a parabolic trajectory, go up a little bit before falling, etc.
  6. Add a parachute to the bomb. The parachute will open only when it's falling and it sets a maximum falling speed (configurable).
  7. You can sort-of easily change graphics and/or the SP graphics slot.
  8. You can insert the bomb sprite directly into the level, or have a generator spawn it for you.
  9. Damage occurs when the player hits one of the four orbiting explosion blasts. The hitboxes can be customized for each animation step (e.g., the blast first and last animation are smaller compared to the middle ones).
  10. You can change the rotation speed of the blasts and their distance from the center.

A few additional notes:

  1. I included the parachute to the graphics you provided and removed the unused walking bombs. The file now has 12 8x8 free tiles.
  2. For performance reasons, the blasts have been implemented as cluster sprites and they don't interact with other sprites (they don't kill them). I could make them check for collision with other sprites, but it might become very expensive in terms of computation, especially considering that you always have at least four of them, and more if you drop several bombs at the same time.
  3. It's SA-1 compatible.
  4. Developed with PIXI 1.40, might not work with older versions.

Here a few gifs


Edit: Fixed an issue with the setting controlling the maximum falling speed when the parachute is open. Updated download link.


Hey, It’s me again guys! Did you miss me? (Okay, let’s begin with this now!).

First of all, this work seems to be awesome! Thank you zuccha!

I've finally fixed the PC a day ago, I encountered downloading some resources and these things... it's really took me a while, sorry!

Today, I had the chance to test these, in LOROM & SA-1, also, thanks for making thoses “three in a one kind” (or more in a one kind jajaja!).

The way that you implemented all this is amazing, you can craft/combine via extra bytes any type of bomb and the triggers/flags for activating the explosion & blast cluster routine, about the implementation of the blast in a cluster, don’t worry for it, making this possible of use it’s the important purpose. Thanks once more, for adding a README file that will explain all about inserting, editing, changing the sprite & other type of useful information for those wanting use this sprite.

Actually, I don't have founded nothing bad, in others words, these don't have any bugs, glitches or something like it, works everything fine how I wanted :O

But now I’ll talk about some details that I thought that adding to this amazing work will be nice to complete:

Adding a option to make the bomb shakes the screen during the explosion, like a thwomp, and also, modify the frames/time of the shake (a tiny detail).

Correct, read & see some parts of the README to see if all is fine, I encoutered a part saying: `gunstar_heroes_bomb_blast.json` :P

Oh.. and please, add this JSON file that I provided here, the appearence (Lunar Magic Display), I've fixed it's to a preview, by default, to the tiles of the second graphics page, specifically in SP4, the file include a custom list with the following configured versions made by me, this is for those wanting insert/place the sprite directly to the editor (Lunar Magic) more easily:

1.- Gunstar Heroes Bomb (no extra bytes configured): The version that you provide for customize it's with your preferences, this can be used for thoe wanting craft their own version, this sprite can heavily customize their behaviours, for more, check
`gunstar_heroes_bomb.asm` & `gunstar_heroes_bomb_blast.asm`, where all
customizable settings have been documented...

2.- Gunstar Heroes Bomb: Bomb that explode on contact with everything (Player, Sprites, Ground/Wall/Solid Objects & Player Fireballs) in a big blast, this don't have X/Y speed configured in their extra bytes (X speed correspond to extra byte 3 & Y speed correspond to extra byte 4).

3.- Gunstar Heroes Parachute Bomb: Bomb that falls slow with a parachute and explode on contact with everything (Player, Sprites, Ground/Wall/Solid Objects & Player Fireballs) in a big blast, this don't have X speed configured in their extra byte, and the Y speed is set to the value seemed in `gunstar_heroes_bomb.asm`, specifically in the define `!parachute_speed`.

4.- Gunstar Heroes "Pokeball" Bomb: Bomb that explode in a big blast when a timer goes out (when the "Pokeball" behavior is set, you need to connfigured/set the timer in the extra byte 2), this don't interact with: Player, Sprites, Ground/Wall/Solid Objects, but if the sprite if touched by a player fireballs, explode. This don't have X/Y speed configured in their extra bytes, by default, the timer is set up to the value "BE".

5.- Gunstar Heroes "Pokeball" Parachute Bomb: Bomb that falls slow with a parachute and explode in a big blast when a timer goes out, this don't interact with: Player, Sprites, Ground/Wall/Solid Objects, but if the sprite if touched by a player fireballs, explode. This don't have X speed configured in their extra byte, and the Y speed is set to the value seemed in `gunstar_heroes_bomb.asm`, specifically in the define `!parachute_speed`, by default, the timer is set up to the value "BE".

And there are the new palette (Correct a color that doesn't use the sprite, specifically in palette 4 or global palette C, in the palette ID destination "C8") & added a .palmask file to the included palette (to avoid replace the entire palette row & the Background Layer 1 Color, just someone needs modify only the corresponding palettes that the sprite uses, in this case, palette 3 & 4 or global palette B & C).

Here are the link to got it's:

https://bin.smwcentral.net/u/49146/ZucchaGunstarHeroesBomb_SomeFiles.zip

These are the things that I have notice that this don't have, I want to add to this a custom SFX of the explosion from the original game (Gunstar Heroes) that will fit better that the original SFX of SMW (none of them (except 09 Bullet Bill & 18 Thunder SFX from sound bank 1DFC) fit properly to be the SFX explosion for this sprite) but it will be to a update cooming soon, when I obtained/code the custom SFX, I will text you a PM, to include it's to the ZIP file, I'm not a expert using AddmusicK, so I might give a try to see but in other occasion. #smw{^_^;}

Once that everything is done, you can send me once more the sprite to test it’s again, and you will can submit this to the sprites section for moderation, be sure to update the README! (for the new features, the changelog, these things…). #smw{:TUP:}
Thanks for all the inputs!

I added the palmask and replaced the palette and JSON files. I like the addition of the bomb presets in the config file, and I'm glad you actually managed to find the correct tiles for the bombs, I tried to, but failed miserably and decided to give up.

I added a define to control for how many frames you want the screen to shake when the bomb explodes. I used a define as I thought it's not something you need to change for every bomb, but let me know if you think it would be more useful as an extra byte.

About the custom sound effect, right now I don't know how to implement it. If you provide me the sound file I can look into it, but we can keep it for a later update of the sprite.

You can download the updated version here, I hope everything works well.

Also, glad to hear you solved you PC problems :)
ROM Hack Manager - SMW Resources - SMW Toolbox
Originally posted by zuccha
Thanks for all the inputs!

I added the palmask and replaced the palette and JSON files. I like the addition of the bomb presets in the config file, and I'm glad you actually managed to find the correct tiles for the bombs, I tried to, but failed miserably and decided to give up.

I added a define to control for how many frames you want the screen to shake when the bomb explodes. I used a define as I thought it's not something you need to change for every bomb, but let me know if you think it would be more useful as an extra byte.

About the custom sound effect, right now I don't know how to implement it. If you provide me the sound file I can look into it, but we can keep it for a later update of the sprite.

You can download the updated version here, I hope everything works well.

Also, glad to hear you solved you PC problems :)


Cool! Thanks zuccha

Good, first to begin, all this well, at the moment I was requesting some help to make the port for the custom SFX and others more that are of Gunstar Heroes, although possibly the implementation of this can have problems in ARAM, and to limit some musics/tracks if this planned to use at global level, (i.e. if the bombs are used in around several levels with the respective sound, it is possible that you sew strange when they are listened), therefore I am thinking if implementing or not this. Although being sincere, probably want to make the intent, but for this can that I will take a long time a lot, soon I will send you a PM with those details if you ends up being possible this.

And... for the case of the option of the shake screen during the explosion of the bomb sprite, if you think that to add this option to a extra byte this better than making that ALL the versions make that the screen shakes during the same value, I suppose that I agree with this, it is the best thing after everything.

It will possibly be necessary to modify all the bomb presets in the JSON file, putting in the future extra byte 5 the value (by default) "40".

To make this, just opens the CFG Editor, then opens up "gunstar_heroes_bomb.json" and then, you go to the section "Custom List".

Once there, make sure of selecting each one of the configured versions (except Gunstar Heroes Bomb (not extra bytes configured)) and of putting him in the respective one extra byte 5 the default value.

So that you make sure that the versions already have the extra byte 5 configured, just have enough with seeing the column "Ex5."

Man, really this work this super brilliant! (I feel like a boy in a store of candies XD), when you have made this, you could already go up it for moderation.#smrpg{y}
Oh, I don't think using an extra byte for the screen shake is better. If set via extra byte, you would have to specify it every time you place a bomb, which might be slightly annoying. Personally, I would set all the bombs to shake the screen equally, thus a define is more suitable than the extra byte. So, just for confirmation, do you want me to change the screen shake duration to an extra byte, or keep it as a define? Making the change won't take me long, so it's up to you.
ROM Hack Manager - SMW Resources - SMW Toolbox
Originally posted by zuccha
Oh, I don't think using an extra byte for the screen shake is better. If set via extra byte, you would have to specify it every time you place a bomb, which might be slightly annoying. Personally, I would set all the bombs to shake the screen equally, thus a define is more suitable than the extra byte. So, just for confirmation, do you want me to change the screen shake duration to an extra byte, or keep it as a define? Making the change won't take me long, so it's up to you.


It's better make this equally shakes the screen, don't make the define a extra byte if it's will be annoying like you are saying. Sorry for the bad idea #smw{-_-2}

The sprite works now really cool, so I think that it's don't require more changes for now.

Thanks for give your help fullfilling this request zuccha, I think that it's better that mark this thread complete, but, if you are sure that I can make it's. #smw{^_^}

I will PM you soon for the custom SFX of the sprite if I made it's possible.

CompleteASM