This category is for anything in the realm of covers. Covers of game music, non-game music, whatever you want, as long as it is a cover of something.
This category is for original songs of any kind. Anything goes as long as it's original work.
Entries to this category must follow a specific rule set by myself. The challenge this time is:
- Port or compose a song using ONLY samples from the SNES SDK sample pack available HERE. You may use as many or as few as you like, but nothing outside of this pack, including vanilla SMW samples. You may NOT rename or alter the samples in any way.
- All content must be made for this competition. You're free to finish up an unreleased old song or whatever, but if material has been previously released in any form, it may not be submitted. It follows, of course, that you may not upload somebody else's work (excluding collabs - see below).
- Your submissions must be kept anonymous and must not be revealed until results are posted. You should avoid putting identifying information in SPC tags, but I will strip tags before voting begins anyway.
- You may collaborate with up to two others on any given submission. If you choose to do so, tell me as such when you submit.
- You may use any tool that generates SPC/SFC output, as long as it is not a tool that converts directly from source to MML (in the case of covers). This means no SPC2MML, nintspc, etc. Examples of tools that are allowed are AddmusicK, AddmusicKFF, AddmusicFR, C700, SNESGSS, IT2AMK, PetiteMM, SNESMOD, XMSNES, and so on.
- For the cover category, please refrain from submitting 1-to-1 ports of existing SNES songs. While it may be technically impressive if you transcribe a complex Tim Follin song to MML, the SPC output is all that matters here, and a 1-to-1 port is not distinguishable as a "cover". You are of course still allowed to cover SNES songs in your own way.
- Joke and/or low-effort entries are allowed, but please be reasonable. Any entry that contains slurs or is otherwise offensive or breaks site rules in any way will result in total disqualification and an immediate site ban.
All entries should be sent to me directly via PM on SMWCentral (this account), or by DM on Discord (username "sincx"), or by email to superfamicompo (at) gmail (dot) com. All you should submit is either an SPC file or SFC file (either an audio file or a ROM file). In addition, for the challenge category, please also include a list of the samples you used from the pack. If you choose to submit SFC, there is a size limit of 2MB, and it MUST be your own content, that is, it must not contain any copyrighted material - no Super Mario World ROMs or anything like that. This year, to avoid potential issues, all ROM submissions will (attempt to) be made into BPS patches for Super Mario World before voting begins, regardless of content; I will handle this part, so you are free to submit as you normally would. Please do not upload these files to your file bin - either use an external service or send them via Discord. You must also tell me which category you are submitting to, and if it's a cover, you must include the name of the original song and game/source media (if applicable). You can submit as many times as you want and whenever you want for as long as the submission period is open. There is no cap whatsoever on the number of entries.
There will be SMWCentral trophies available to the top 3 in each category, as well as participation trophies to the rest, for those who have an account at the time of results. If you don't have an account at the time of results, you will not receive a trophy. Note that if your account is brown-banned on SMWCentral, you will not be eligible for SMWCentral-related prizes (but you can still enter).
The deadline for submissions is