"Huh? No, retro consoles are like the Magnavox Odyssey and Pong TV games. The NES and Master System are still pretty new..." - Albert Einstein
In the beginning, there was a ball and a stick. The idea was that someone would throw the ball to you, and you'd hit it with a stick. This barbaric practice is what people called "video games" for decades, until finally Shigeru Miyamoto invented his first console, the Atari 2600. This revolutionized video games forever, and put them on a path of computational progression that has been funneled into sixth generation point and shoot games that have reminded us, as a species, that video games are just as violent as they were in the 1970s. But, before the violence, there was an era of peace. An era of prosperity. An era of bleep bloop pulse generators. Today on 120hoSPC, we will be exploring what happens when you port songs with so much less substance than the platform you're using to make fancy schmancy sample based music, and then turn it into (technically) sample based music.
Your challenge for 120hoSPC #11 is to port or remix any song you like from any game that appeared on the NES, Sega Master System or Game Boy. Derivatives such as the SG-1000 or Game Boy Color are allowed, but expansions beyond the base capabilities of these consoles are forbidden (such as Famicom expansion chips, or the Sega FM Sound Unit).
Due to the simplicity of the songs provided, it is encouraged that you arrange your music to fill some of the channels that will invariably be left empty, but if you think you can make a 1:1 port sound amazing, nothing is stopping you from doing this either. No technical restrictions are employed whatsoever, so be creative, be cool, be you!
- Your submission must be compatible with AddmusicK 1.0.9 which can be found by clicking this very long hyperlink. You may omit vanilla samples to your heart's content; if the song can insert, it's eligible.
- Converting with programs such as PetiteMM or it2amk is allowed; essentially, if you put effort into creating/modifying source files and/or the MML, and the resulting SPC is distinctly the result of your work, it's still eligible. I don't know how you'd employ it for this contest specifically, but SPCtoMML is still forbidden.
- You may work with one other person for your entry. If you have collaborated with someone and your job was to submit, tell me who your partner was.
- Send your submission to my PMs or on Discord (my tag is found in my profile) in a .zip, .rar or .7z archive. Your submission must contain your MML file, the generated SPC, and any samples you used in a separate folder.
- Do NOT reveal your submission in any capacity to other people until voting has ended and the results have been posted. Entries found to have been previously revealed to voting parties will be disqualified.
- All entries should be created specifically for this contest, with any work having been done during the submission period. Honor system.
- Be nice.
You have 120 hours from now to make your entry, which puts the deadline at Wednesday, November 29, 2023, at 4:00 PM PST (or for a less America-centric timezone, November 30th at 12 AM UTC). After that, public voting shall begin for the submitted entries, and judged by the court of public opinion to determine which is the most deserving of praise, admiration and the most valuable prizes of all (participation/ranking trophies). Lastly, if you have any questions, ask me directly or post in this thread and I promise I'll respond to them in a timely manner.
Have fun! Or don't. I'm not your mom.