Language…
13 users online: amaro,  AmperSam, Apple Boy, Green, Green Jerry, Heitor Porfirio, lobby, MiracleWater, mtheordinarygamer, RZRider, Sammmoo, ShoopDaWhoop, TCgamerboy2002 - Guests: 139 - Bots: 197
Users: 65,555 (2,173 active)
Latest user: amaro

SMW Central Hall of Fame - Discussion & Feedback

Event



The Hall of Fame was a new, permanent addition to the site that came about in 2024 to honor and showcase the long history of SMW Hacks in the community.

In this thread you can discuss inductees past, present and future or leave your thoughts about the process, the write-ups or any other feedback you may have to the organizers or the committee.
Hello fellow nerds:

I am a member of the Hall of Fame Committee -- I typically have tried to keep to myself but it was really nice to give back in some way to this community. Below are links to my personal nominating documents. I am publishing them here because I do not feel right judging others without being fully transparent about my process -- to me this is similar to contest judging. For more context, I am mostly a standard player now so my nominations reflect that a bit.

Please Note: These are my initial nominations before any rules were set in place surrounding qualifications for the hall of fame (notably, we did not allow filebin or off-site hacks to be included). They are not particularly well-written documents, but just something I could build off of later if I needed to. I will also NEVER reveal any of the discussions that took place between the committee publicly or privately, so don't even bother asking. If you want to discuss something in my nomination list you can find a way to privately message me.

2023 nominations
2018 nominations
Originally posted by cardboardcell
Hello fellow nerds:

I am a member of the Hall of Fame Committee -- I typically have tried to keep to myself but it was really nice to give back in some way to this community. Below are links to my personal nominating documents. I am publishing them here because I do not feel right judging others without being fully transparent about my process -- to me this is similar to contest judging. For more context, I am mostly a standard player now so my nominations reflect that a bit.

Please Note: These are my initial nominations before any rules were set in place surrounding qualifications for the hall of fame (notably, we did not allow filebin or off-site hacks to be included). They are not particularly well-written documents, but just something I could build off of later if I needed to. I will also NEVER reveal any of the discussions that took place between the committee publicly or privately, so don't even bother asking. If you want to discuss something in my nomination list you can find a way to privately message me.

2023 nominations
2018 nominations


Thanks for the kind words and for publishing your process. I think that goes a long way with how we've decided to honor some of the great hacks the community has to offer. #smrpg{y}
NewPointless
I'm flattered to know that Eh was considered as a nomination by someone. Though I can see why it didn't get the chuck award. Maybe next time!!
So, I have a question: Here's a hypothetical scenario. Let's say a hack gets recognized in the Hall of Fame, but it was published in 2022, but then, it received an update this year.

What version of the hack is the one elegible in this case? Which year will it be elegible for HoF: 2022 or 2024? What's being considered here?
Originally posted by Anorakun
Let's say a hack gets recognized in the Hall of Fame, but it was published in 2022, but then, it received an update this year.

What version of the hack is the one elegible in this case? Which year will it be elegible for HoF: 2022 or 2024? What's being considered here?


Granted, small sample size, but we are focusing on a hack's initial year, not in years it receives updates. In your example, we would consider the hack as a 2022 hack. We did that with multiple hacks that received significant updates in 2023. There may be exceptions, but we by and large will direct committees to follow this idea.

Once a hack is in, it's in. One hack can't be a two-time inductee.
I'm not a doctor.

Okay so for feedback: I'm glad that the Hall of Fame exists as a formalized return/successor for Featured Hacks. I think it is a positive to spotlight the best and most interesting hacks to play within a given year of their release. However, there is one major concern that I have that I do want to bring to your attention - Why is it that the average userbase has no say in the nomination process? I think that is a major flaw I have in the execution is that the hacks that deserve consideration by the committee shouldn't simply be decided by the committee on what is worth spotlighting. It should also be on what the userbase at large experience which hacks they believe are worthy for consideration to be in the Hall of Fame within a given year and therefore, a nomination thread for the userbase to spotlight the hacks should be made to help out with the process, especially when committee members may miss a few hidden gems within their discussions. Because as it is currently, the userbase doesn't have an explicit say when they should because of having no nomination thread.

Why I say this? The first reason is that Featured Hacks being its direct predecessor had a working nomination system in which the userbase nominate the hacks they played for featuring. The userbase gave their reasons why they believe a hack deserved featuring and the process worked as intended for the most part. The problem that doomed Featured Hacks came from the periods of inactivity from the hack mods to read, play, and consider what was said alongside their respective moderation duties. Consequently, it created a backlog that was unsustainable to clear. It is that precise reason why I argued that hack moderators need not apply in my thread I made months ago when I suggested Featured Hacks to return. The current committee however, I see it as a solution to the problem with the inactivity of the hack moderators that were tasked to maintain Featured Hacks in the past because the committee is specifically tasked to play and discuss the hacks to be considered instead of other duties that hack moderators had to do.

The second reason is that the Cacowards in which the Hall of Fame also owes its existence to still has its nomination thread actively maintained by the Doom modding community that the Hall of Fame could have pulled from what is argubly the best aspect of the Cacowards. The Hall of Fame is meant to be SMW hacking community's own Cacowards and therefore, taking that wouldn't hurt the identity of Hall of Fame at all especially when you look at how the Cacowards nomination thread's own rules aren't all that dissimilar to how Featured Hacks for SMWC worked in the past.

The summary is that the Hall of Fame needs a nomination thread because it shouldn't just be limited to the committee having all the say, the userbase should be allowed to nominate hacks for the committee to consider in case of hidden gems they miss in their discussions, because it is the draw of how the Cacowards worked for the Doom Community, and how the good aspect of the previous Featured Hacks system worked.
Modern Redrawn Mario Bros. 1.5 (last update - February 14, 2023, some new bonus frames, tons of minor touchups to various poses)

On Pixel Art Requests: Depends on what it is and if I have the time for it. If its complex and I don't have the time, don't expect me to accept it.

Projects I support:


Late, but TDW, I do have my questions regarding this.

What if somebody biased or acts differently than others decided to nominate in the thread? It would affect which hacks make into the HoF, and can result in for example: a rather undeserving hack making it into the podium.

The second, is how would the nominating be split if users were allowed to nominate. Not everyone has the same mindset, and depending on how things are split, can affect what hacks make it into the HoF as well.
Originally posted by TDW
I think that is a major flaw I have in the execution is that the hacks that deserve consideration by the committee shouldn't simply be decided by the committee on what is worth spotlighting. It should also be on what the userbase at large experience which hacks they believe are worthy for consideration to be in the Hall of Fame within a given year and therefore, a nomination thread for the userbase to spotlight the hacks should be made to help out with the process, especially when committee members may miss a few hidden gems within their discussions. Because as it is currently, the userbase doesn't have an explicit say when they should because of having no nomination thread.


I think this is entirely fair to ask, but I would also add that it assumes the committee members aren't members of the userbase. I can assure you, they are. They are hack moderators, makers, players, streamers, and creators, and they participate in the discussions here on the forums and in Discord. They do not operate in a vacuum, and they are some of the users we trust to know which of those "hidden gems" deserve merit. Indeed, were it not for the suggestions of multiple committee members, some hacks would not be in the HoF now simply because they were unknown to the majority.

If you have a hack you think deserves merit for HoF consideration, then I would suggest you talk about that hack. Leave it a 5* rating, and write a glowing review. Talk about it in the Discord server. Our Committee members see those ratings, reviews, and conversations, and they know what hacks are eligible and deserving of recognition by participating in the community.

Also, the committee members are listed in the HoF page.

Originally posted by Green
What if somebody biased or acts differently than others decided to nominate in the thread? It would affect which hacks make into the HoF, and can result in for example: a rather undeserving hack making it into the podium.


Every hack released within a year is considered. Nominations would only be an extra data point for the Committee's consideration; the ultimate decision would be theirs. If an "undeserving" hack is added to the HoF, it will be because the Committee came to a consensus that it was deserving, not because of outside pressure or ulterior motives. We strive to have a diverse Committee for this very reason; to avoid groupthink and to ensure multiple perspectives from across the community are represented.
I'm not a doctor.

Event