Banner
Views: 845,194,546
Time:
31 users online: 7 up,  Anorakun, BlueZy, ChrillePan, codfish1002, diego2007, Fiblizo, GaloombaCat, Green Jerry, h.carrell, Haruda, Kusrry, kyasarintsu,  MarioFanGamer, mariosr, MirrorReflect, RPG Hacker, Rykon-V73, Sancles, Sariel, SimFan96, SLBros., Sping bot, Super Maks 64,  Tahixham,  Teows, TheMarioEnthusiast1, Thiago678,  Thomas, TorbiBoy, TSian7 - Guests: 70 - Bots: 90 Users: 46,482 (2,728 active)
Latest: TSian7
Tip: The first column of the palettes list is the transparency. Don't change it.Not logged in.
Kaizo Hack Submissions - Edit: Most recent list of May 1st
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Kaizo Hacks - Kaizo Hack Submissions - Edit: Most recent list of May 1st
Pages: « 1 232 33 34 35 36175 176 » Thread Closed
Originally posted by Noobish Noobsicle
Kaizo hack submission rules

MIND = BLOWN

Kaizo hacks are supposed to be rule-breaking in almost every way. Creating rules for them is like neutering a dead cat.



And besides, why do we need to make everything shitty with rules?

--------------------
Vah'Neela's Mansion coming soon.
Originally posted by Gladel
Originally posted by Noobish Noobsicle
Kaizo hack submission rules

MIND = BLOWN

Kaizo hacks are supposed to be rule-breaking in almost every way. Creating rules for them is like neutering a dead cat.



And besides, why do we need to make everything shitty with rules?


I agree, ID think there should be any rules. If any, it could be this one:


Originally posted by Noobish Noobsicle
Hacks that are easy will be removed.

That's the only rule that I think needs to be addressed. @[email protected]
It IS a Kaizo submission thread afterall...
meh
Originally posted by Kyurel
Stacked/floating munchers are also major turnoffs. Please keep this in mind while submitting your hack.


... What? How are floating/stacked munchers turnoffs in a KAIZO hack?

--------------------
Good fucking bye.
A ton of Kaizo hacks have stacked munchers, and all of them have muncher abuse. You're not saying that any further submissions will abide by these rules and ones already submitted will be allowed to stay? Nonsense. I know there must be rules, but the one mentioned in this statement is ridiculous, even though it was mentioned as a turnoff.

Also, some people have easier times doing kaizo than others. Any hack that has people using like, 5 savestates on single obstacles, or ones that require a lot of precision jumping and invincibility frame use should be and are considered kaizo. Obviously, easy and bad patch rules are fine.

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
Artsy2 - Indeed, that is true. There should be no rules that say that there can't be stacked/floating munchers, cutoffness, or whatever. This is a KAIZO thread and that's what alot of these kaizo hacks are about. If you make these rules official, that defeats the purpose of this thread. :P
meh
...Yet you can never have a kaizo hack that's neat (meaning no cutoffs, stacked/floating munchers, etc.). I mean, try to look at my hacks: neatish eh?

--------------------
Look at this 8 year-old layout that I should probably update.
Originally posted by PangaeaPanga
...Yet you can never have a kaizo hack that's neat (meaning no cutoffs, stacked/floating munchers, etc.). I mean, try to look at my hacks: neatish eh?


But, really, Kaizo hacks don't really feel like Kaizo hacks if it doesn't have stacked/floating munchers, cutoff, etc. You can submit neatish Kaizo hacks, but this isn't really a Kaizo Hack Submission thread without those kinds of hacks in there. The only rules that should be enforced are no easy hacks (duh) and bad palletes.

--------------------
Good fucking bye.
Originally posted by SpikeyRat
Originally posted by PangaeaPanga
...Yet you can never have a kaizo hack that's neat (meaning no cutoffs, stacked/floating munchers, etc.). I mean, try to look at my hacks: neatish eh?


But, really, Kaizo hacks don't really feel like Kaizo hacks if it doesn't have stacked/floating munchers, cutoff, etc. You can submit neatish Kaizo hacks, but this isn't really a Kaizo Hack Submission thread without those kinds of hacks in there. The only rules that should be enforced are no easy hacks (duh) and bad palletes.


Agreed, there is no sense in not having cutoffness, stacked/floating muncher infested, etc Kaizo hacks. >_>
meh


It's not a rule, it's just a reminder that there are ways to not abuse munchers. Just look at my hack. I use deadly black blocks. It's okay to add munchers. I also think that most of the rules are okay. Who would want to play a hack that's impossible? The short rule is not really good for a kaizo. I once made one that was only one screen long. It used exactly 3 munchers. It also didn't take much effort. That's another rule that should be done away with. It's okay to make a hack with little effort, just make sure it's not n00B land. That's all I have to say. The only official rules of this are the ones in the first post, and the ones Ultimaximus made. In case you can't find the ones he made, it was basically about impossible hacks that make you die half way through. Also, remember that kaizo translates to hack, not crappy hack. My first hack, Masochistic Mario, I had removed. It is the very definition of a bad hack. Just look and play it as an example.
Balloon Party.
At times like this, you need to step back and say, "Where's the Balloon Party?"
Made this hack a while ago: Level of Doom

Not the hardest hack out there, but it'll still need lots of savestates.
Originally posted by PangaeaPanga
...Yet you can never have a kaizo hack that's neat (meaning no cutoffs, stacked/floating munchers, etc.). I mean, try to look at my hacks: neatish eh?


Wait til you see my Focus or Die that I'm working on with Apollyon.

The parts that I create have no cutoff at all. (Maybe the parts that Apollyon creat do though.

--------------------
/{//))//))((\\((\\}\
(/[[//))))/\((((\\]]\)
{(//<//))\/((\\>\\)}
(///<(solduke)>\\\)
\([\\\({]//\\[})///])/
\{-]///][\/][\\\[-}/
([-)//\{/\}/\\(-])
Well, let's just say, that a Kaizo hack is hard, over-abuses munchers, and doesn't have glitchy sprite graphics. Let's just leave it at that.

On the plus side, my third level is done. I just need to play-test it.

On another plus side, the Kaizo-Level-Design-Contest is done. I just need to add the totals together.

--------------------
Look at this 8 year-old layout that I should probably update.
Originally posted by PangaeaPanga

On another plus side, the Kaizo-Level-Design-Contest is done. I just need to add the totals together.


On that note, Panga, what do we do, if we disagree with a judging score, for example, it was scored lower b/c of something that was inaccurate? Just curious.

Thanks, MapskingThanks, Mapsking
Originally posted by mapsking
On that note, Panga, what do we do, if we disagree with a judging score, for example, it was scored lower b/c of something that was inaccurate? Just curious.

Thanks, Mapsking

You swallow it like a man instead of whining about it.


Though maybe you should complain if it really IS something that's judged wrongly (like someone giving a level a bad score just because it's "unbeatable" even though it CAN be cleared).








and no it is not an innuendo

--------------------
Vah'Neela's Mansion coming soon.
Right...I have a question for you all.

I am making a kaizo Yoshi's Island hack at the moment, and at times during the game you'll have to use a glitch in the game engine in order to progress. Naturally, this is common in kaizo hacks, as well some other hacks; the VIP series come to mind. It's the kind of thing which is frowned upon by many on this site, but I figured it wouldn't be here.

Anyway...I'm using some glitches I found in Yoshi's Island, but the problem is this; in SMW people tend to know the glitches, which makes the hacks a bit fairer. Unless you've played Y.I. a lot, or you've hacked it, you almost certainly wouldn't know about this one particular glitch I am using. Do you think I should have a message block informing the player about the glitch or not? Obviously I am aiming for the hack to be unfair, but I don't want the player to have no clue whatsoever what to do. At the same time I don't want it to be too fair. Any suggestions? Do you think it is better for the player to be informed of particularly unfair glitches in kaizo hacks, or not? Super Mario Intrigue is an example of a hack which informs the player what he needs to do (or at least offers hints), yet there are many which leave you completely on your own.

Originally posted by yiddo, yiddo
Right...I have a question for you all.

I am making a kaizo Yoshi's Island hack at the moment, and at times during the game you'll have to use a glitch in the game engine in order to progress. Naturally, this is common in kaizo hacks, as well some other hacks; the VIP series come to mind. It's the kind of thing which is frowned upon by many on this site, but I figured it wouldn't be here.

Anyway...I'm using some glitches I found in Yoshi's Island, but the problem is this; in SMW people tend to know the glitches, which makes the hacks a bit fairer. Unless you've played Y.I. a lot, or you've hacked it, you almost certainly wouldn't know about this one particular glitch I am using. Do you think I should have a message block informing the player about the glitch or not? Obviously I am aiming for the hack to be unfair, but I don't want the player to have no clue whatsoever what to do. At the same time I don't want it to be too fair. Any suggestions? Do you think it is better for the player to be informed of particularly unfair glitches in kaizo hacks, or not? Super Mario Intrigue is an example of a hack which informs the player what he needs to do (or at least offers hints), yet there are many which leave you completely on your own.


If it were up to me, I'd create a semi-hidden side-path on the way which, if crossed, leads you to the message block. Then you can make him die to restart or lead a way back as you see fit.

...Of course, if you feel like being nice, you could just put the message block on the way. I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed "Newton's Second Law" from SMW Intrigue nearly as much if there hadn't been that message block in pretty-much plain sight.

--------------------
holy dear mother of christ this thing has been released
kaizo hacks are cool. THOUGH very fustrating :(
a long time ago, like 2 and a half years, when i played kaizo, im stuck in level 1. I STILL AM XD but lately, since i keep dying, i kinda lose intrest in it. sometimes anyway XD

--------------------
Oh...that was meant to be a joke?
It would be hilarious to have a Yoshi's Island hack that requires you to use the left/right warp glitch on the map to progress. Also, since I don't know what glitch you're referring to, I'd say it really depends on what it is. A lot of the common YI glitches are pretty well known now, so maybe if you set up a scenario in an early level that blatantly encourages the player to experiment their way into using it, it'll be fine. Of course, if you're worried about idiots being idiots, do what dainegai said and make them do some crazy flutter jumping or something just so they can die after reading the message block.
dainegai- that's a really good idea. Thank you.

romscout- what exactly is the left/right warp glitch in Y.I? I don't know that one. The glitch I am using is as follows; if there's a pirhana plant next to a wall (in this case it's actually sand blocks) and if you jump into the pirhana plant as it turns from right to left, it will spit you out the other side of the wall.
Why you guy TAS my romhack like that? without tell me huh??
Well.. i not hapyy what you guy doing.

TELLING ME AFTER DOING A TAS OF MY ROMHACK ! Seriously...
Pages: « 1 232 33 34 35 36175 176 » Thread Closed
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Kaizo Hacks - Kaizo Hack Submissions - Edit: Most recent list of May 1st

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy