Language…
20 users online:  Alex, anonimzwx, ASMagician Maks, bd90492, Children's Digest 1950-2009, edgar, gemstonezVA, h.carrell, Hamilton64, JupiHornet, kiki79250, MarsAmpere, Mohamad20ZX,  NopeContest, OEO6, Ondore's Lies, skyekun, Super_Siege7, TS_N, WIKIDNEZ - Guests: 94 - Bots: 197
Users: 55,635 (2,428 active)
Latest user: franklinbm15

The best Anti-Virus

I need to add an Anti-Virus to my PC but I don't know which to add. I need suggestions. :)
Not Norton. Not only are they as useful as putting a slew of viruses directly on your computer (in my experience and opinion) they are SO annoying as well. if you didn't activate it during installation every five minutes a pop-up appears and says you have to activate it.
Try Kaspersky or something like that. Ignore Symantec and Norton, same shit - different name.
I will become alive again sometime soon.
I've hear Avast is really good, but I use Panda Antivirus to help my computer. It's pretty good. Try both, if you want.
I have no idea what to change my layout it to...

i use mcafee security center. its definitly the best(in my opinion), but its not free.



I might put some sort of signature here once. I guess.
My friend uses Komodo, and he delibratly downloads things that have viruses on to prove it's power. Pretty cool I guess.
I will become alive again sometime soon.



Yeah, don't use symantec or norton, they really annoy me, and since they're really popular, viruses will often disguise themselves as those, or mess with those programs. I used symantec in vista until I switched to Linux, and it really didn't help me at all. And you can't really trust most free ones.

Originally posted by Bloop!
Yeah, don't use symantec or norton, they really annoy me, and since they're really popular, viruses will often disguise themselves as those, or mess with those programs. I used symantec in vista until I switched to Linux, and it really didn't help me at all. And you can't really trust most free ones.

Yeah as I said before Symantec and Norton basically put viruses on your computer, that and they are a ripoff.
Symantec = Bullshit.
Norton = Scam.
I will become alive again sometime soon.
I recommend getting multiple AV programs. You should get Avast!, AVG Free Edition, and Spybot: Search & Destroy. If you are worried about Adware, you may also want to get Ad-Aware. All of these are available for free and have proved to be reliable to me.
I've been using the latest builds of AVG ever since I got my laptop here back in July of 2009 and I haven't encountered a single virus. A couple of trojans, yes, but a quick scan pretty much gets rid of all of them. So I recommend that (since it seems to be working like a charm for me).

I also use AVG in conjunction with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, because I encountered a "virus" back on my desktop that no AV program could get rid of and Malwarebytes was the only thing that would actually dispose of it. So yeah, if you won't get AVG make sure to download Malwarebytes incase the same thing happens to you.
Originally posted by K3fka
I recommend getting multiple AV programs. You should get Avast!, AVG Free Edition, and Spybot: Search & Destroy. If you are worried about Adware, you may also want to get Ad-Aware. All of these are available for free and have proved to be reliable to me.


I've heard that 2 anti-viruses in 1 computer doesn't go good.
I'm still thinking about installing avast! tought.

Any more suggestions?


Malwarebyte's anti-malware is one of the best free antivirus programs out there, it's helped me several times

Hmm...before you go and install Avast! you may want to hear what happened to me. I installed both AVG and Avast! two days ago and everything was fine. The next day I was having issues with my internet, and I thought avast! may have been causing the problems, so I uninstalled it (which was nearly impossible, by the way. I had to download a special program and everything to get rid of it.) and the problems persisted. I later got my connection working and all of a sudden I had a virus that gave me the BSoD, so I had to format my HD and reinstall windows last night. Anyway, the last things I downloaded were AVG and Avast! and this was my first time installing Avast! after hearing good things about it from friends, and I hadn't visited any suspicious websites that would give me viruses, so I don't know. I can't say for sure it was Avast!, and if it was, I wouldn't say the developers did it intentionally, but something's not right here.
Originally posted by K3fka
Hmm...before you go and install Avast! you may want to hear what happened to me. I installed both AVG and Avast! two days ago and everything was fine. The next day I was having issues with my internet, and I thought avast! may have been causing the problems, so I uninstalled it (which was nearly impossible, by the way. I had to download a special program and everything to get rid of it.) and the problems persisted. I later got my connection working and all of a sudden I had a virus that gave me the BSoD, so I had to format my HD and reinstall windows last night. Anyway, the last things I downloaded were AVG and Avast! and this was my first time installing Avast! after hearing good things about it from friends, and I hadn't visited any suspicious websites that would give me viruses, so I don't know. I can't say for sure it was Avast!, and if it was, I wouldn't say the developers did it intentionally, but something's not right here.


That just happened because you had 2 anti-virus.
By the way, what's BSoD?
BSoD is a "blue screen of death". It's proper name is stop error if I recall correctly, and when a Windows system experiences some major error in the system that might cause irreversable damage to your computer (like losing all your files, not being able to log on etc) it pops up, gives you a brief technical error sum up and a stop code, eg: "0x00000505", which usually defines where the error is.

But yeah, as long as you don't get attacked by a extremely harmful virus or do something to your computer that'll potentially cause a BSoD, you're good.
Originally posted by Blumiere
BSoD is a "blue screen of death". It's proper name is stop error if I recall correctly, and when a Windows system experiences some major error in the system that might cause irreversable damage to your computer (like losing all your files, not being able to log on etc) it pops up, gives you a brief technical error sum up and a stop code, eg: "0x00000505", which usually defines where the error is.

But yeah, as long as you don't get attacked by a extremely harmful virus or do something to your computer that'll potentially cause a BSoD, you're good.


Once I got a .wmf virus that installs WinHound (a fake anti-virus)

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqXmd_5egs
I run on a Mac, but my friends typically suggest getting MacAfee. Norton is TERRIBLE! It's probably better not having antivirus programs than getting Norton. It's weak and requires to many pointless updates.



3 letters.
AVG.
It's one of the best out there, and it also protects a bunch of other stuff than just computer files.

Hi! I'm dead!
 
i'm still not decided.
If you want something very thorough, go for Norton. It's worked great for me, but it costs money.

If you want something good but free, then go for AVG. It's not as good as Norton Antivirus, though.
Originally posted by Tom Servo
If you want something very thorough, go for Norton. It's worked great for me, but it costs money.

If you want something good but free, then go for AVG. It's not as good as Norton Antivirus, though.


Have you lost your mind ? I will never trust the new symentec team after norton antivirus 2004.
Their nothing but a lazy eating galoot galoot money sucking fools...

Either try avast free edition, Microsoft security edition which works as best as avast pro or NOD32, or try NOD32 5.0.
You'll have to pay for nod32 though and they are expensive if you decide to use them...