Banner
Views: 794,780,460
Time:
8 users online: buggy789, HamOfJustice, Insanit, JamesD28, Kusamochi, levelengine, MM102, ThePat545 - Guests: 36 - Bots: 165 Users: 41,483 (1,492 active)
Latest: GBSDYP
Tip: Don't put a coin over a question block. It will create an invisible solid block above the ? block if the block is hit first.Not logged in.
The "What should I use" thread - READ THE FIRST POST
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Display Case - The "What should I use" thread - READ THE FIRST POST
Pages: « 1 2 3 431 32 » Thread Closed
Use this thread to ask for suggestions of what to use for you hack. Basically if you can't find a good song, ExGFX, Sprite, Gimmick, or w/e, ask here what can use. THIS IS NOT A REQUEST THREAD!

Rules:

1- Try to answer a question when you present a question yourself.
2- Don't suggest items that aren't on SMWC (namely because you'd probably link to stuff you shouldn't)
3- Describe as much as you can about what you have and what you need. For example, "An icy song" is really general. Asking for "An icy song that would fit well into a cave where the water drains your time and there are Hammer Bros everywhere" may seem too specific, but it helps give people an idea that you'd need it to fit into a cave and not be too calm.
4- Tell people any limitations you have (for example, not wanting to use a sample bank).

Again, THIS IS NOT A REQUEST THREAD!
I like this.

And. . .I have a question. I'm working on a water level for my new hack and am so tired of always using Cheeps and Urchins. Are there any interesting underwater sprites people would recommend? The level is going to have narrow passages and may be auto-scrolling, so nothing too hard to avoid.

Thanks!
Originally posted by Kadyastar
And. . .I have a question. I'm working on a water level for my new hack and am so tired of always using Cheeps and Urchins. Are there any interesting underwater sprites people would recommend? The level is going to have narrow passages and may be auto-scrolling, so nothing too hard to avoid.


Yeah, underwater sprites could be hard to find. I'd recommend the following:

1. Bloopers. They come with the original Sprite Tool.
2. Blooper Nannies, as seen in SMB3.
3. SMB3 Lava Lotuses
4. Maybe some graphical edits of existing sprites, such as Underwater Chucks.


Originally posted by Jacob
3. Volcano Lotuses

Only if you edited their fireballs to look like rocks. Fire underwater just seems wrong.

Anyway, I have an underground level filled with lava, Dry Bones, Spike Tops, and the beetle things (forget their names - not Boney Beetles). However, its a rather calm and easy level, as its near the start of the game. What would be a good song for it? Not something rapid or loud, nor completly calm and peaceful.

Professional frame-by-frame time wizard. YouTube - Twitter - SMW Glitch List - SMW Randomizer
I also think this was a good idea.

Kadyastar: What Jacob said. As far as the Volcano Lotuses go, how about using the SMB3 version? Bloopers could be a bit hard to avoid with auto-scroll and tight passages, though.... There's always the YI Ball 'n' Chain; it fits in almost any level. (That is a severely underused sprite, seriously.) The YI Piranha Fish could also work, as could plain old Piranha Plants.

Kaizoman666: Hm...boy, I don't know. My first thought was Earthy Caverns from my Chocolate Level Design contest soundtrack, but none of the music in there is really all that great.
Kaizoman666: how about the SM64 Hazy Maze Cave port S.N.N. made ages ago? It fits calm underground levels to a tee.
Great thread idea! Music suggestions, here I go! =)

Originally posted by Kaizoman666
Anyway, I have an underground level filled with lava, Dry Bones, Spike Tops, and the beetle things (forget their names - not Boney Beetles). However, its a rather calm and easy level, as its near the start of the game. What would be a good song for it? Not something rapid or loud, nor completly calm and peaceful.


Maybe Mystery Deeps by MidiGuy, it's an awesome track, however, still not overused (as far as I know).
Or if not that, Meteos from Kirby: Superstar could fit too.
Well I was looking for a song for a first overworld, it's basicly a grassland but dark and plauged in darkness forever feel.The Game
You just lost.
Originally posted by LuigiYoshi112
Well I was looking for a song for a first overworld, it's basicly a grassland but dark and plauged in darkness forever feel.


If you're looking for an evil but still somewhat happy song, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Clock Town day 3 is a good choice, I think. As Jimmy said: "Might work for "evil" grasslands or forests.".

offtopic: your layout makes your post almost impossible to read...just saying.
Originally posted by Hadron
Originally posted by LuigiYoshi112
Well I was looking for a song for a first overworld, it's basicly a grassland but dark and plauged in darkness forever feel.


If you're looking for an evil but still somewhat happy song, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Clock Town day 3 is a good choice, I think. As Jimmy said: "Might work for "evil" grasslands or forests.".

offtopic: your layout makes your post almost impossible to read...just saying.


Thanks :)
And I just fixed my layout ^^
The Game
You just lost.
what song should i use for my OW for my last world for my hack?
Come help save Super Mario World Central Production 2 here!
Originally posted by falconpunch
what song should i use for my OW for my last world for my hack?


Could you be more specific? We don't know what type of environment your last world takes place in, thus we can't find a fitting track for you. I'm assuming it's just your typical dark/volcanic underworld, but I could be wrong.
(Skip ahead to 5:44) Any song suggestions for that area?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NhLWQ0F-l_c?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NhLWQ0F-l_c?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Btw, awesome thread idea, had the same idea some time ago. :)

--------------------

Originally posted by foop2164
Any song suggestions for that area?


Kadyastar's "The Big Hurt" perhaps?
Nice thread.
Hm, this might be too vague, but does anyone know any good tracks I could use for the Boss Defeated/Goal Sphere theme? Im looking for something calm and/or triumphant, and I would like it NOT to require the N-SPC patch or anything else that might cause incompatibility with the more accurate emulators if possible.

--------------------
Mario's Greatest Adventure! <- My hack thread, where I make magic.
Originally posted by TheDestroyer
Hm, this might be too vague, but does anyone know any good tracks I could use for the Boss Defeated/Goal Sphere theme? Im looking for something calm and/or triumphant, and I would like it NOT to require the N-SPC patch or anything else that might cause incompatibility with the more accurate emulators if possible.


Mega Man 3 - Boss Selected is great for a Boss Defeated music (kinda ironic, hehe). It's triumphant and doesn't require the N-SPC patch.
The Final Fantasy 4 Victory theme is also a great boss victory theme, though, I'm not sure if it's overused or not (Only seen it in a couple hacks like Roy's Armada and Krypto Moon IIRC)

--------------------
Originally posted by imamelia
As far as the Volcano Lotuses go, how about using the SMB3 version?


That's what I meant, the SMB3 Lava Lotuses. They were used underwater in SMB3.

Extras



I should have something witty to put here (even if it's just to update dated info), shouldn't I?

Advertising Space

Though honestly, Volcano Lotuses could be used underwater as well.
Which reminds me that I should probably use them more in my main hack.

Uhh...



I need a music that fits the level.
Pages: « 1 2 3 431 32 » Thread Closed
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Display Case - The "What should I use" thread - READ THE FIRST POST

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 7

Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • SMBX Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • MFGG