Language…
18 users online: Alexdroide177,  Anorakun, AntonioDosGames,  Atari2.0, Aurel509, Dark Prince, deported, gabriel09213535, GrenCarret, Hayashi Neru, Heitor Porfirio, Jolpengammler, katun24, Maw, Russ, SubconsciousEye, Teaser, Vini2019huebr - Guests: 139 - Bots: 195
Users: 58,145 (2,438 active)
Latest user: 2lonelyjp

Lunar Magic suggestions and discussion (LM v2.52)

Link Thread Closed
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 143
  • 144
  • 145
Originally posted by imamelia
Originally posted by Kaijyuu
I use conditional map16 for my collectible coins and it works well enough. Problem is I've lost over a full map16 page to said coins since I sometimes need to change their graphics based on the level. Each new coin with unique graphical settings costs me 2 tiles (one for "normal" graphics and one identical to a normal coin on the next page). Close to trivial for mere coins, yes, but if someone were to do something more ambitious than I...

Wait...over a full Map16 page? How many different coins do you have?! Can't you just use ExGFX for GFX33 or overwrite the original animation with ExAnimation on a per-level basis?

I added these coins after I had built the majority of my levels. So, I had to go through every level and figure out where in the hell I could fit 4 tiles and a workable palette to use for them. I wasn't going to change the exgfx if I didn't have to. Also, I do different behavior with them based on the low three bits of the map16 number, so each new version potentially uses up 8 (16 counting the "collected" version) tiles.

And it's barely over half a map16 page, but since I have to put normal coins on the next page for the "collected" ones it doubles the amount of space I use.
CTRL+SHIFT+S is a really handy feature. However, as long as it is checking for overlapped bad RATs, is there a reason it can't also do some accounting and report where they are? That would be really handy. I have one overlapped tag and I have no idea where it is or what caused it.

[?] Miscellaneous Helpful Hints
If I moderated your hack, there was apparently a 90 percent chance it was rejected.
All right, FuSoYa, I finished the animation revamp...at least, I think. I haven't tested it too extensively (or set all the addresses and other data to match the settings in SMW), but it *should* work.

----------------

I'm working on a hack! Check it out here.
Originally posted by andy_k_250
CTRL+SHIFT+S is a really handy feature. However, as long as it is checking for overlapped bad RATs, is there a reason it can't also do some accounting and report where they are? That would be really handy. I have one overlapped tag and I have no idea where it is or what caused it.


Alright, will keep it in mind as a possible addition at some point.


Originally posted by imamelia
All right, FuSoYa, I finished the animation revamp...at least, I think. I haven't tested it too extensively (or set all the addresses and other data to match the settings in SMW), but it *should* work.


Took a quick glance at it... don't hijack those JSLs to the original animation code, you'll disable ExAnimation. It'd be better to insert a JSL at the start of the original code.

Once you have someone do up a program for editing the frames and have it all tested, let me know.
Okay, here's a suggestion/issue for Lunar Magic... fix how it inserts ExGFX. I've seen quite a few cases (and experienced it myself) where just inserting the same ExGFX files a few times causes the ROM to crash when loaded in an emulator, with just a black screen.

I honestly think something's bugged about how the tool inserts ExGFX files, it doesn't seem to remove the older versions or something. I think it might be related to these threads:

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=27303

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=30921

And a few others I can't remember.
For gaming news and Wario discussions, check out Gaming Reinvented and Wario Forums respectively.

As for Mario's Nightmare Quest? Well, it's currently on Fusion Gameworks, ROM Hacking.net or the GCN at the moment.
Something's busted in your rom if inserting exgfx breaks it. It's not LM.
Yup, that's not LM. Most likely SPC related. Carol's more.bin was confirmed to cause exactly that a long time ago, as it has a partially broken SPC upload that will randomly fail depending on what any program stores after it.
Any thoughts about the Layer 3 stuff, Mr. Ayosuf?

----------------

I'm working on a hack! Check it out here.
I don't think that ExGFX bug is just SPC-related, it happened to me a while ago on a 1 MB ROM after I patched 3 files and loaded it in BTSD.
Originally posted by Ayosuf
Yup, that's not LM. Most likely SPC related. Carol's more.bin was confirmed to cause exactly that a long time ago, as it has a partially broken SPC upload that will randomly fail depending on what any program stores after it.


That's weird, I didn't use carol's more.bin, just the most recent version of AddMusic they recommend to use here, and then it only caused problems when ExGFX was inserted, never music.

It just seems strange how this bug is apparently caused by third party tools, but only actually occurs after the ROM is modified in Lunar Magic afterwards.
For gaming news and Wario discussions, check out Gaming Reinvented and Wario Forums respectively.

As for Mario's Nightmare Quest? Well, it's currently on Fusion Gameworks, ROM Hacking.net or the GCN at the moment.
My guess would be a RAT tag issue. All your patches have them when using freespace, right?
All patches I used came from this site. So I presume they would, otherwise they'd be rejected.

The only thing I can think about is sprite tool screwing up dynamic sprite graphics insertion, since those tend to run into problems when placed further down the sprite list. But I doubt it, that patch probably had RAT tags and what not.
For gaming news and Wario discussions, check out Gaming Reinvented and Wario Forums respectively.

As for Mario's Nightmare Quest? Well, it's currently on Fusion Gameworks, ROM Hacking.net or the GCN at the moment.
Originally posted by imamelia
Any thoughts about the Layer 3 stuff, Mr. Ayosuf?


It's something to consider for the future, just not the next version as I'm planning to do a new release around fall and have been rather busy lately.

Originally posted by Iceguy
I don't think that ExGFX bug is just SPC-related, it happened to me a while ago on a 1 MB ROM after I patched 3 files and loaded it in BTSD.


The first place to start would be with the patches then. Use the restore feature to get back to just before applying them, then reapply one by one to see where the problem might be.

Originally posted by cheat-master30
That's weird, I didn't use carol's more.bin, just the most recent version of AddMusic they recommend to use here, and then it only caused problems when ExGFX was inserted, never music


Well the last time I looked into this for someone, it turned out that whichever music tool the person was using overwrote areas towards the end of the last bank (0x7F19F and on) in the original ROM with SPC data, which is used by Lunar Magic for various tables like ExGFX pointers, ASM, and checksum adjusting. So naturally when LM updated in that area, the SPC upload blew up. So you might want to check that.

You can also use Ctrl+Shift+S in LM to see if there are any bad/overlapped RATs or non-RAT protected data in the expanded area. I really wonder if I should just stick that in a menu somewhere, maybe File or Help...
Originally posted by Ayosuf
Originally posted by imamelia
Any thoughts about the Layer 3 stuff, Mr. Ayosuf?


It's something to consider for the future, just not the next version as I'm planning to do a new release around fall and have been rather busy lately.

Originally posted by Iceguy
I don't think that ExGFX bug is just SPC-related, it happened to me a while ago on a 1 MB ROM after I patched 3 files and loaded it in BTSD.


The first place to start would be with the patches then. Use the restore feature to get back to just before applying them, then reapply one by one to see where the problem might be.

Originally posted by cheat-master30
That's weird, I didn't use carol's more.bin, just the most recent version of AddMusic they recommend to use here, and then it only caused problems when ExGFX was inserted, never music


Well the last time I looked into this for someone, it turned out that whichever music tool the person was using overwrote areas towards the end of the last bank (0x7F19F and on) in the original ROM with SPC data, which is used by Lunar Magic for various tables like ExGFX pointers, ASM, and checksum adjusting. So naturally when LM updated in that area, the SPC upload blew up. So you might want to check that.

You can also use Ctrl+Shift+S in LM to see if there are any bad/overlapped RATs or non-RAT protected data in the expanded area. I really wonder if I should just stick that in a menu somewhere, maybe File or Help...


I did check that, it said there were no overlapped RAT tags.
For gaming news and Wario discussions, check out Gaming Reinvented and Wario Forums respectively.

As for Mario's Nightmare Quest? Well, it's currently on Fusion Gameworks, ROM Hacking.net or the GCN at the moment.
Alright, then check that your SPC tool isn't inserting in that location as I mentioned.
Originally posted by Ayosuf
It's something to consider for the future, just not the next version as I'm planning to do a new release around fall and have been rather busy lately.

I see. Eleventh anniversary release? Are you planning to include the animation rewrite option?

Also, how hard would it be to rewrite all or most of SMW's Map16-related code? For things like interaction, it pretty much goes through a spaghettified mess of if-else checks, instead of simply using a pointer table (which would a) make a lot more sense and b) be a lot more customizable). I don't even know if a pointer table like that would be compatible with Lunar Magic if a third-party program were to hack that.

----------------

I'm working on a hack! Check it out here.
LM's custom block codes touches the JSLs to $00F545 and checks some stack stuff. As long as you only touch code that runs after the $00F545's, I doubt LM will touch it.
<blm> zsnes users are the flatearthers of emulation
Originally posted by imamelia
I see. Eleventh anniversary release? Are you planning to include the animation rewrite option?


Support for LM reading your tables, you mean? Perhaps, if you can get a GUI utility and the code finalized and tested in a reasonable amount of time.

Originally posted by imamelia
Also, how hard would it be to rewrite all or most of SMW's Map16-related code? For things like interaction, it pretty much goes through a spaghettified mess of if-else checks, instead of simply using a pointer table (which would a) make a lot more sense and b) be a lot more customizable). I don't even know if a pointer table like that would be compatible with Lunar Magic if a third-party program were to hack that.


Shouldn't be an issue, since LM wouldn't need to be aware of the table at all. Although I don't think many people are looking to adjust the original blocks, so rewriting Nintendo's code just to look pretty doesn't serve much purpose. Might be more useful as a reference when creating new blocks. But I guess if you're bored and looking for more to do... ;)
Originally posted by Ayosuf
Support for LM reading your tables, you mean? Perhaps, if you can get a GUI utility and the code finalized and tested in a reasonable amount of time.

I'll do my best. I still don't know who would do the GUI part, but I'll tryt to make sure that at least the ASM part is working correctly.

Originally posted by Ayosuf
Shouldn't be an issue, since LM wouldn't need to be aware of the table at all. Although I don't think many people are looking to adjust the original blocks, so rewriting Nintendo's code just to look pretty doesn't serve much purpose. Might be more useful as a reference when creating new blocks. But I guess if you're bored and looking for more to do... ;)

I, at least, would like to change the original blocks, since probably three-quarters of the tiles on page 0 are useless for my main hack. The problem is figuring out where to hack...SMW's tile-processing code is a mess, although if I know where all of Lunar Magic's hijacks are, I might be able to just insert stuff at or right after those positions. Does Lunar Magic reinsert hacks like those if they get overwritten? And are all of the hijacks for Map16 numbers just a JSL $06F5A8?

Also, I came up with an idea for what we could do with level modes 12-1D: have alternate BG modes. SMW only ever uses Mode 1 and Mode 7, but I know for a fact that Modes 0, 2, 3, and 5 have been done before. Why not make, say, level mode 12 put the level in Mode 0 or something? More likely than not, such hacks would be too complex to implement into Lunar Magic, but it's within the realm of possibility to make a patch for them, or even include them in another editor.

----------------

I'm working on a hack! Check it out here.
Originally posted by imamelia
words about custom block codes

The custom block code is four JSLs to constant locations at the following places (and, of course, some code at the JSL targets):
%hijack("org $00F4DD : JSL BlockMarioTile")
%hijack("org $019533 : JSL BlockSpriteTile")
%hijack("org $02961A : JSL BlockCapeTile")
%hijack("org $02A6EB : JSL BlockFireTile")
I don't remember exactly where the targets are, but they're the same for all ROMs and close to each other (and yes, they're in bank $06). Open it in a hex editor or something if you need to know the details.
As long as all four of those are still JSLs (22), I think LM will leave them alone, but I never tried it. Let's just see what FuSoYa has to say about it.
<blm> zsnes users are the flatearthers of emulation
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 143
  • 144
  • 145
Link Thread Closed