Language…
4 users online: Darknubs, QuantumNate, Ryrir, Sir-Rayn - Guests: 63 - Bots: 189
Users: 58,128 (2,470 active)
Latest user: maczampieri

Lunar Magic suggestions and discussion (LM v2.52)

Link Thread Closed
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 91
  • 92
  • 93
  • 94
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97
  • 98
  • 99
  • 100
  • 101
  • 143
  • 144
  • 145
Fanatical like a Demon
Originally posted by MercuryPenny
If you can do it with ASM or pre-existing patches, why does it need to be in LM?

I think he was jx asking if it was possible with the already existing settings in lunar magic. I THINK... #tb{:?} There's two unused scrolls on both the vertical and horizontal, so maybe you can hijack that that spot with your settings so you can jx have the setting there implemented into lunar magic (probably).
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
Fanatical like a Demon
I wish there was a feature where in the palette editor that if you try to make a color in the ASM hardcoded spots without checking custom palettes on, instead of getting the "this is hardcoded" message, that it would allow you and change said slot globally (and maybe a warning message of are you sure, doing so will blah blah blah and all that good stuff). I really hate having to go to each level one by one having to copy my colors. An example Yoshi, my yellow Yoshis have green shoes, Blues have pink, Reds have blues, and Greens have red. Another is the Munchers, the black portions with reflections have different gradients than the standard yellow, and the list goes on. It's kinda tedious now having to go through every level and refilling each black spot I used (and worse when I come up with a new color for something that adds), especially now that I have 175 levels (some people probs have WAAYYYY more). I'm not sure if the patch imamelia made for a custom base would work for those extra black hardcoded spots.
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
If it's the one I'm thinking of (that I can't seem to find...), then yes, it will affect the hardcoded colors (which are really just colors that are never written to and therefore don't have locations in the ROM), since it's based on a custom palette rather than an original one.

----------------

I'm working on a hack! Check it out here.
Fanatical like a Demon
Originally posted by imamelia
If it's the one I'm thinking of (that I can't seem to find...), then yes, it will affect the hardcoded colors (which are really just colors that are never written to and therefore don't have locations in the ROM), since it's based on a custom palette rather than an original one.

This one?

Code
lorom

org $0EF600
	rep 512 : dl $07E565

org $07E565
	incbin base_palette.bin

org $00B2C8
	dw $63DF,$51FF,$0439,$415F,$6F3F,$069F,$07BF,$33FF,$4F5F,$7F0A

org $00B2F0
	dw $63DF,$027F,$0439,$01BF,$033F,$05F9,$069F,$333F,$4F5F,$23E0

How exactly do I use it? The last post confused me. Which address is which row etc...
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
Yep, that's the one. You want to open base_palette.bin in a hex editor. The first two bytes are the background color, and after that, each pair of two bytes is one color and they go in order from 00 to FF.

----------------

I'm working on a hack! Check it out here.
If the level is horizontal, can you allow mouse wheel scrolling, like vertical levels? Instead of having to click and drag the scroll bar.
Enabling ExGFX in Level 104 messes up the ending. All that appears to be happening is LM's bypass is taking priority over the game's.
Let's milk Sunny Milk. Then she'll have enough money to fund Sunny Milk Real Estate.
Everypony's digging with a shovel
Starting today, whenever I open Lunar Magic for a bit, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 shuts it down and deletes it, telling me it's infected. I tried redownloading it from the Tools section but the same thing happened. I even scanned it before I reopened it and Bitdefender said it was clean. Just did a full system scan and it said nothing was an issue.
Disable your antivirus when hacking, then.
I sent LM 2.32 and LM 2.31 to virus total test, none of the files were detected anything dangerous. Have you looked on what is the antivirus detecting on LM exactly, like dangerous behavior, trojan, worm, adware, etc...? Either way, you can add LM to the exception list, it should be available on your anti-virus's settings.
GitHub - Twitter - YouTube - SnesLab Discord
Originally posted by Vitor Vilela
I sent LM 2.32 and LM 2.31 to virus total test, none of the files were detected anything dangerous. Have you looked on what is the antivirus detecting on LM exactly, like dangerous behavior, trojan, worm, adware, etc...? Either way, you can add LM to the exception list, it should be available on your anti-virus's settings.

All it told me was the behavior could harm my computer. Hopefully it'll let me keep it in a Program Files directory after I exclude it so I can have .smc file associations.

EDIT: Still closes LM and deletes the file from its folder, even though it's on the exclusion list. ¯\(°_o)/¯

EDIT2: Got it working. Never mind the previous edit. Thanks for the help!

EDIT3: Again there's problems. My Mac (I'm using Parallels and Windows 7 to hack) popped up a window saying it found a virus called Trojan.GenericKD.2079664.
Originally posted by Vitor Vilela
If you're planning to add such feature, then please instead, make LM search for ExGFX including sub-folders, it'd be very useful since it would let people to organize graphics by whatever they want, for example organizing by level name/number or (for me) organize by GFX type, since I use ExGFX to store other stuff than tilemap and graphics.


I don't think you'd want to do it by level. If you use an ExGFX file in more than one level, you'll have quite a time trying to figure out where the file really is later.

Anyway, will have to think it over. I'm not sure that level of flexibility is worth the hassle that would arise from duplicates and not being able to see what's inserted just by looking in one directory.

Originally posted by GreenHammerBro
-Have a (optional) feature that when you save and exit the program, upon reloading, loads the level you last save (and moves the scroll-bar position also to last save), rather than always level 105 (yoshi island 1), similar to the option in google crome in settings -> On Startup and "Continue where I left off". Its also based on the mouse gestures remembering your last save (when not selecting anything (layers or sprites)).


Maybe, but don't really see it as being too important.

Originally posted by GreenHammerBro
GreenHammerBro
-when having an internal emulator inside LM, If you trigger something that examination uses (on/off, p-switch and silver, yoshi coins, manuel and custom triggers, etc) also have change the LM viewing on that trigger also so the game and LM viewing exanimation are in sync (for example, If you trigger the on/off switch, LM viewing also switch the on/off viewing). Although this can be an option also.


Would require remembering states before starting emulator and restoring afterwards so they don't get left the way they are in the game when you ended it. Might be rather odd in actual use.

Originally posted by allowiscous
Anyway, Lunar Magic is toggled to hide sprites, the banner for level entrances do not disappear as well as their sprite counterparts. I understand why this happens, but I think it will be a convenient fix to hide said banner as well.


Had thought about it, but there's already other view options for turning the labels off.

Originally posted by imamelia
Is it possible to make Layer 3 scroll half as fast as Layer 2 with just the settings in Lunar Magic?


No, none of the existing settings currently look at layer 2 instead of layer 1.

Originally posted by Snowshoe
If the level is horizontal, can you allow mouse wheel scrolling, like vertical levels? Instead of having to click and drag the scroll bar.


Sounds strange, so no.

Originally posted by Wiimeiser
Enabling ExGFX in Level 104 messes up the ending. All that appears to be happening is LM's bypass is taking priority over the game's.


I believe it's always been this way, as you shouldn't be bypassing things in there. But I could look into changing it.

Originally posted by trumpet24601
Starting today, whenever I open Lunar Magic for a bit, Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 shuts it down and deletes it, telling me it's infected.


Report false positives to your virus scanner vendor.
Originally posted by FuSoYa
I don't think you'd want to do it by level. If you use an ExGFX file in more than one level, you'll have quite a time trying to figure out where the file really is later.

Anyway, will have to think it over. I'm not sure that level of flexibility is worth the hassle that would arise from duplicates and not being able to see what's inserted just by looking in one directory.

maybe allow for filename comments (example: ExGFX80 [generic grass].bin), and then internally remove them

though i'm fine with the current setup; people can just have a txt file in the exgfx folder listing what each file is
Originally posted by FuSoYa
Originally posted by Vitor Vilela
If you're planning to add such feature, then please instead, make LM search for ExGFX including sub-folders, it'd be very useful since it would let people to organize graphics by whatever they want, for example organizing by level name/number or (for me) organize by GFX type, since I use ExGFX to store other stuff than tilemap and graphics.


I don't think you'd want to do it by level. If you use an ExGFX file in more than one level, you'll have quite a time trying to figure out where the file really is later.

Anyway, will have to think it over. I'm not sure that level of flexibility is worth the hassle that would arise from duplicates and not being able to see what's inserted just by looking in one directory.


Well, that was just an example. My idea is just make LM be able to search the files in sub-folders. The name of each sub-folder is up to the hacker. And if LM find some duplicate, just throw a warning while inserting (with OK/Cancel to avoid multiples warnings or just all at once), it should be good enough.

Quote
Originally posted by Snowshoe
If the level is horizontal, can you allow mouse wheel scrolling, like vertical levels? Instead of having to click and drag the scroll bar.


Sounds strange, so no.


Uh, what is strange here? As long there is no vertical scroll bar present, make the middle mouse button control the horizontal one...? Shouldn't be too hard to implement in my opinion. It wouldn't affect z-ordering since you can only scroll when there's nothing selected anyway.
GitHub - Twitter - YouTube - SnesLab Discord
Originally posted by Vitor Vilela
Uh, what is strange here? As long there is no vertical scroll bar present, make the middle mouse button control the horizontal one...? Shouldn't be too hard to implement in my opinion. It wouldn't affect z-ordering since you can only scroll when there's nothing selected anyway.

I've seen a lot of programs scroll the horizontal bar with the mousewheel as well, also if there was no vertical one there.
GIMP actually lets you scroll the horizontal one with the mousewheel too, while hovering that bar.

It'd really make scrolling around levels a LOT easier and more natural.
Your layout has been removed.
Fanatical like a Demon
I'd like to know if there's a way LM can detect which graphic files are not being used at all in the game. I've been working on a hack since 2010 and it's gone through a lot. There are so many ExGFX and I'm not sure which ones the game uses and doesn't anymore. I'd like to save the extra space. If not would you implement such a feature (unless some 3rd party tool already exist for this)
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
There's a lot of patches that load ExGFX files, which LM has no chance to detect, and I don't think FuSoYa would be too happy about adding unreliable features like that.

But if you know which graphics are used by patches, I made a tool for scanning the main ExGFX table for one of the SMWCPs. I don't have it anymore, but SNN or Lightvayne may still have a copy.
<blm> zsnes users are the flatearthers of emulation
Fanatical like a Demon
Originally posted by Alcaro
There's a lot of patches that load ExGFX files, which LM has no chance to detect... But if you know which graphics are used by patches, I made a tool for scanning the main ExGFX table for one of the SMWCPs. I don't have it anymore, but SNN or Lightvayne may still have a copy.

Oh sweet! And yeah I do know which ExGFX files I insert through patches so this tool would help out a lot.
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
Originally posted by Vitor Vilela
Uh, what is strange here?


It's counterintuitive (horizontal scrolling with vertical movement) and inconsistent (only available if vertical scroll isn't). Programs that do implement it tend to just put it on a modifier key instead to at least solve the latter issue.

Originally posted by leod
It'd really make scrolling around levels a LOT easier and more natural.


Don't really see how. For a long time, LM didn't even bother to support scrolling vertically with the scroll wheel. A scroll wheel is convenient when you're just reading through text, but the rest of the time I find it doesn't even come close to a scroll bar for speed and control.
It's not really counterintuitive at all, I sorta expected that to work when I first opened LM, because a lot of other programs I use(d to use) do the same.
It only makes sense to me anyway that the mousewheel would scroll "along" the level instead of having no function in 90% of levels (unless you for some reason resize your LM window so small that a second scrollbar pops up).


But eh, your program so if you feel it's too confusing for users that the mousewheel scrolls can scroll along two different axes in completely different level flows, then it's probably right.
Your layout has been removed.
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 91
  • 92
  • 93
  • 94
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97
  • 98
  • 99
  • 100
  • 101
  • 143
  • 144
  • 145
Link Thread Closed