Oh, I should probably include getting 3-star rankings on every cup in Mario Kart Wii. Oh god, my sanity definitely slipped while I was attempting that. "You drive off-road, bang into a wall, or don't come in first even one time? OH HO HO NO 3-STAR RANKING FOR YOU." Especially annoying when that happens at the last second during the last race of the cup.
1. Making the jump from the Labyrinth to the jazzy monster area of the Labyrinth in Cave Story. You know, the part where Booster just suddenly comes out of nowhere and falls down.
That part is like, the most hardest part of the game, right there.
2. Finishing Syobon Action without dying.
I tend to disagree. Monster X on 3 HP is very hard and I still haven't done it. I just can't do it. That jump is a breeze really. It just takes a few tries is all! Especially with the save point right there.
Originally posted by Vic Rattlehead
As far as self-imposed challenges go, the task that gave me the most trouble is definitely the minimalist run in Cave Story. Imagine, if you will, a 3-hp Quote, and only the forced weapons on hand. With the best available weapon being the level 1-2 knife, and going through the Hell stage, my death count had to hit 4 digits easily. In the end, I conquered the challenge, and it was easily one of the most satisfying moments I'll ever have with a game. After doing this, I now breeze through Hell without even breaking a sweat on a regular, max HP run.
Holy shit dude! I need to get better at that dang game.
Beating Ballos for the first time was pretty hard. Now my best time is 3'48'1.
Getting all 120 starts twice in SMG was really tough! Those green star worlds man...
-Completing Red Faction on normal for the PS2. The guards have rail-guns later on, which are a 1-hit kill. The last boss is particularly nasty, especially escaping the auto-destruct after you've beat him. I've not dared to try hard mode.
-Completing all the vs challenges on Perfect Dark on N64.
-Gaining 18 platinum medals on Blast Corps (N64). The times are incredibly strict.
-Beating the 3rd boss on Henry Hatsworth, normal difficulty. I haven't got much further than that...
-Playing Donkey Kong Country Returns, and not throwing the wii remote out the window in anger.
- 100% Kirby Super Star Ultra was quite hard, especially clearing Helper to Hero With every helper.
- Getting the best ending in Cave Story. Beating Ballos for the first time was really hard, since I hadn't read about the "glitch" where you jump into his eye and spam the missile launcher. I can do the sanctuary easily nowadays, though.
- Boss battles on intense in SSBB. Took a while but I finally managed it. Now the only challenge left for me is to get every sticker, but my Wii won't play Brawl now so I doubt I'll be doing that any time soon.
That's all I can think of for now, I might edit this post later if I remember something.
Edit : Although It wouldn't be hard to do nowadays, I beat smb:ll when I was 6 years old (smas version, though).
Getting within 1 second of the lead car in the final driving mission in Gran Turismo 4 with a controller. I raged(people say winning it with a controller is impossible), but it's really REALLY hard, so I was kinda happy as well.
Basically, you have to drive a Mercedes SLR McLaren(w/shitty tuning) around the longest car circuit(Nürburgring Nordscheife), where 1 lap = 8 minutes if you're quick.
The hardest thing I've ever done was Sephiroth also, but he was much easier once I found out I had 99 potions, because I forgot to use any the whole game.
Currently I am doing an all A run of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, which isn't too hard, just annoying.