Hello, everyone. I'm here with a tutorial, on how to make custom Backgrounds out of any old image you find on the web. No third party programs required.
You will need:
edit1754's BG Ripper | null
DynamicDrive's online image optimizer | http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/imageoptimizer/
Google Images | http://www.google.com/imghp
Paint(or any other program that can resize an image) | In your accessories folder.
Lunar Magic(1.7 and above works best) | I'm assuming you have it...
1. Firstly, find an image. Google images is good for that. If you want to have your BG repeat, you should include in your search that the BG repeats. "i.e. repeating bg forest" or "forest tile". A repeating BG will not have cutoff.
2. Once you have your image, open it in Paint, and resize to something like 64x64, 128x128, or 256x256. These sizes are perfect for tiling.
3. Open up the IMG optimizer. Select your image in the browse box, and select "Convert to PNG", if it's not a PNG already. Once the page appears, find the 16 color image, and save it to your desktop. This is crucial, for SMW's graphics are 4BPP (they can only have 16 colors max.).
4. Open Lunar Magic, and find an empty test level (i.e Level 174). Go to File > Save Level to File, and give it a name(i.e mycustmbg1.mwl). Save it.
5. Go to edit1754's tool, and select the PNG file in the top browse button, and the level(mycustmbg1.mwl), in the next one down from the top. Hit Submit.
6. Select the palettes, the 8x8 tiles(don't ever use tile F8!!!!), and the Map16. Hit Create ExGFX. Download it, and unzip the files.
7. Insert the Graphics and palettes normally, and if the BG repeats, edit the BG in the BG editor window. This is the finished product:
Thank you for reading my tutorial. I hope you have learned successfully, and you make some really good backgrounds!