Anyway, I finished yet another level. Now, there is only one more level to finish. After that, I have to make the title screen demo and test out the entire hack (which probably won't take very long, since it's only 10 levels). Then, Georgevssonic and Corruptendo will get to test it. Afterwards, I'm thinking of putting the hack in my file bin, since there are going to be a few glitches in the hack that make it very doubtful that this would get accepted that I have no idea how to fix (the main one being the Game Over Glitch). I want others to see what I've been doing, though, so that's why I am going to upload it to my file bin, even though there will be a few glitches with it.
Also, remember the glitch SolidSnake141.35 found, where Yoshi still holds an egg after dying? I tested that out a bit. The negative effects of the glitch only happen when Yoshi dies (if Yoshi leaves a level without dying, Yoshi will still be holding the egg, but nothing negative will happen when you press down or throw the egg). Also, when the game crashes because of this, sometimes it crashes so hard, that the emulator itself crashes.
I finally finished the current demo! Now that I finished testing, I'm going to let georgevssonic and Corruptendo test it. Afterwards, I'm going to fix up whatever glitches they find (provided it isn't realted to Yoshi Abilities, since I have no idea how to fix most of the glitches with that). Once that's done, I'll upload the hack to my file bin (there are some glitches in it that make it doubtful this would get accepted that I can't fix. That's why I'm not going to upload it to the Hack section) for others to play, make a video of, TAS, etc.
Yoshifanatic: I'm quit esorry to disappoint you, but GvS left from the hacking scene for about a month or 2. I speak to him daily on MSN, though. Maybe try to find another person to beta-test it? I wish I could've brought only good news... sorry =\
Oh, I didn't know that. Well, since he is going to be away for a while, I'll take him off the list of playtesters for this hack. He'll be able to playtest the next version of YSQ if he wants to, though. So, for now, Corruptendo is the only one who is going to playtest the hack. If anyone else wants to playtest YSQ, let me know. I'll let up to five people playtest the hack at once.
Ok. Both ToonLinktheFairy and Bleaghhh can playtest YSQ.
So now, I've got four playtesters:
Also, I should note that if you want to be able to download YSQ, I have to be online when you answer the PM (which isn't really a problem, since I'm online most of the day) and the person I sent the PM must be online as well. I've sent a few PMs already that were useless because the other person answered my PM and didn't download the file or they answered my PM while I wasn't online. Just thought I would mention that.
Also, while playing YSQ, it certainly feels like MSQ in several ways. I definitely have some odd ideas at work. I'm trying push the strangeness to a new level with YSQ. Already, I have one idea implemented that's pretty bizarre (though some of the other ideas are nothing to sneeze at, in terms of strangeness). A couple of the ideas I implemented also revolve around the fact that the player plays as Yoshi, so that's working in my favor.
You bring up a good point, xlk, but I would rather do this my way. I prefer to have a few people who are willing to playtest the hack, than to have a bunch of people who may or may not point out the flaws. However, thanks to a something Teo17 said to me in a PM, I'll be changing the way I upload the hack for the playtesters.
Also, Teo17 is the fifth playtester for YSQ. So, if anyone else wanted to playtest YSQ, you're out of luck.
Edit: All five playtesters have a copy of YSQ. I'll be waiting to hear from all five of you when you finish. Also, if you guys don't want to spoil something in YSQ, feel free to tell me whatever it is you have to say in a PM.
I've got another update for YSQ. While waiting for the playtesters to playtest YSQ (None of the playtesters have said anything since they got the hack, by the way), I decided to do a little more work on YSQ while I wait to hear from them. None of these things I've done in YSQ after giving the playtesters a copy of the hack will be a part of the current demo, so they won't need to retest the hack.
So far, I made two more submaps for the overworld, and I started working on a level called "Burger Pass".
Me: Yoshi. Don't even think about eating this level.
Yoshi: Yoshi sorry, but Yoshi is hungry.
This is a standard level that is food themed. The ground is made of burgers and soda cans, and the enemies I currently have in the level are evil soda cans (Thwomps), Beanies (Goombas), and Ketchup (a Falling Spike that comes out of the ketchup bottles). I also plan on having other hazards in the level, like forks (just like in Level Ate from Earthworm Jim 2). Like I said before, this level isn't going to be a part of the current demo, even if I finish it, but it's likely going to be a part of the next demo.
Also, as a note to Teo17, to help you out with testing out the glitches, I put in a test level in the current demo that you can use to test out the glitches with the Yoshi Abilities patches. It's level 3 in Lunar Magic, and the level tile for it is located on the lower right cliff in the cave submap. One thing I must point out though is that the triangle in that level doesn't work right. To fix it, simply change the Z order of the triangle so that's it is in front of the ground.
Thou asked, and thou shalt receive. Note that this is an incomplete copypaste of my beta testing notes as far as I have gotten into the hack.
As a note to yoshifanatic I'm writing these as playing and therefore they may sound brash. They shouldn't be, I'm just doing it quickly.
Levels will get up to three runs.
1 - normal run, go through without searching for stuff.
2 - other exit run.
3 - dragon coins I missed run.
Nice title screen, made me smile.
Yoshi speaks in 3rd person, continued through hack? (it's happening as of yoshis house.)
Not fond of yoshi facing camera sprite, personal opinion.
Eyebrows go off screen top left, makes me sad.
Holy shit, while trying to alt tab, I hit windows key tab. That's where they hid the shiny interface crap from the TV adverts.
Very nice music.
Very nice looking overall, except one rock placed on a tile above a hill, looks like it's balanced on it, slightly odd looking.
Path from Cookie crisis to the castle looks a bit funky.
Not so fond of this overworld, looks way too generic. Very similar to most other cave layouts.
Yoshi's New Home:
Grammar error. Did you know that since you are a Yoshi, that you have abilities yada yaa... second that
Nice idea with the switch replays if they're gonna be actual levels.
How the f#ck do I shoot eggs?
Same grammar error with double thats.
Everything looks very nice, ggraphics wise. Awesome as all hell background. Nice music.
I hate the Yoshi patch. That is all. It just feels weird to control to me, but know you didn't make it so no blame to you there.
No idea how to get second dragon coin, cant seem to flutter far enough. Could be me being retared with the Yoshi mechanics.
P-switch can't be picked up, vaguley remember ou saying some glitch made you do that, but the p-run to get final dragon coin was too hard for level 1.
Abrubt normal ending, move goalpost a bit further from pipe.
Why is side exit enabled? No issue, just wondering
Took me until searching for the secret exit and to notice green coins are health.
Nice secret exit, took a bit of exploring but nothing too major.
Correction on second dragon coin, it isn't that hard, just took time to get used to the yoshi flutter mechanics.
Please make the gap between the invisible coin blocks more than two blocks high. its annoying to jump up.
Egg firing still no good so no access to pipe. Was that where dragon coin was?
Not a bad level by any means, but it doesn't quite feel like a first level, especially with mechanics people (like me) may have not experienced before.
Why pink bricks?
Nice idea, made me rush, but I wasn't even remotely close to the time limit.
Not fond of the cookie sprite. Why is it green. And no answering with "it's a Yoshi cookie", he's not a cannibal. Or is he? Is that the twist you sicko?!!! Sorry, it's 5am here....
Wow, savestates all over the place to get that bonus. I coud probably do it legit eventually, but I'd add 20 seconds at least to the par time for ths early in the game.
That was a really fun level with a good gimick. (sp)
Wouldn't change much there except the time limit.
Is milk really that addictive? :p
I like the fact that enemies can walk through the hazards after you said about nonyoshis being safe.
Damnit, I went straight for the cookie after they were used as the goal sphere in the other level.
Easy to fly over a lot of the level.
Odd background transition from main level to exit sublevel.
Music graphics background all good.
Waaay too much work for that 1up.
I have EGGS. Finally I got them, apparently i hadn't eaten any of hte right enemies at all in the other levels.
GLITCH - Jump into the ceiling ith something in Yoshi's mouth and you die.
GLITCH - Invincible Yoshi with tongue out.
I love the platter of foods =D
I couldn't find five dragon coins there, only three =S
Pretty nice again, pity i couldn't find the dragon coins. It's starting to annoy me how patchy Yoshi's tongue grab is though, led to a few deaths there.
Two plain levels in a row =/
Another rush level.
Thought it was hard on the first attempt. But by second go, much easier when you know routes. Reminds me of those coin collect time levels.
Time blocks seem to act a bit funny.
Good place for a secret exit. Not too obvious, but you're likely to see it. and have to try to get it.
boo ring at the end is completely nullified by giving me 20 extra seconds, no sense of panic there like there was in the rest of the level, reduce it to just one 10 second block.
blocks act strange, sometimes they trigger from the side, sometimes not.
Fine except for the blocks acting a little strange. Nice difficulty.
Ruby Switch Palace:
Can't shoot eggs after grabbing the springboard.
Can't do the puzzle =S
Not fond of the background.
Red Yoshi's Mansion
Sometimes green coins don't give me a health point.
Very nice graphics use.
Good flutter testing level.
It's hard to get the boss to end. I had to shoot a remaining shell with an egg and then eat one the other Yoshi was summoning. Is there any way to make it end by just killing the three eggs?
Also, you're in a bit too much danger straight away with the boss fight, I'd change initial position slightly.
Emerged cutsccene in egg throw mode, deliberate joke?
Uhh, wow, I started the level with he shell i had in my mouth from the boss fight.
Like the second p-switch part to get dragon coin, i would lower invisible block one row though.
Quite a hard level, i guess you're going for a harder hack overall.
How do you get that first dragon coin? The one underwater.
Luck based invisible coin blocks for secret exit, really easy to miss.
Problems getting chuck to spawn up there to let me through.
Key can be got straight away from the side, no need to go up and over.
Why not just use a key exit, rather than open door and walk through.
At one point, i was full of eggs, i tried to eat a fish and all that happened was i pulled it towards me to hit me.
Lava Cavern 2:
Why 2? We haven't seen a 1 have we?
Not a bad level at all.Good use of layer 2.
Edit - Cleaned up layout slightly and removed extremely hopeful spoiler tags.
Thanks for telling me all that, Bleaghhh. I'll be waiting to what you have to say for the remaining levels. Here are my comments to some of your comments (in order).
- The layer 3 on the title screen was one of the ideas me and my brother came up with. The ending of the title screen demo was a case where I almost break a hack submission guideline, but don't.
- Yes, all Yoshi's in the hack will speak in third person.
- The Yoshi overworld sprite was the only one I could find.
- Thanks, the overworld music is SMRPG - World map.
- That rock doesn't look odd to me.
- I'll try fixing that path
- I'll try to make the cave submap more interesting.
Yoshi's New Home
- I'll fix that typo.
- Thanks, that idea was present in MSQ, though I may expand upon it a bit.
- It's explained in the readme.
- I'll fix this typo as well.
- Thanks. The music is SMG2 - Yoshi Star Galaxy, though I noticed that song was removed for lack of looping and for sounding a little empty. It didn't sound that empty to me.
- Yeah, Yoshi feels a bit odd to control. When I played MSQ again, it felt awkward to control Mario, since I got used to controlling Yoshi.
- The P-Switch part is optional. I may adjust this part a bit, though.
- Side Exits are enabled in case the player didn't go to Yoshi's house first to learn about the Yoshi abilities. Moving the goal post further to the right may cause Yoshi to sometimes leave the level without clearing it.
- The purpose of green coins is mentioned in the readme, though I probably should explain what they do in game.
- I'll see what I can do with the invisible coin blocks.
- The cement blocks are pink for variety. Notice how the cement blocks are a different color in each level?
- Thanks. If you are trying to beat this level normally, the time limit is fair, but if you are going for the prize at the end, you don't have much time to reach it.
- It's the same cookie graphics from MSQ. It's a sugar cookie with green and red sprinkles.
- It takes almost 110 seconds to reach the end if you do it quickly, which is barely enough time to get to it. Considering what the prize is, it makes sense to make it difficult to get.
- Yes. the milk in this level is addictive. At least it's not radioactive.
- Would you believe that wasn't intentional? In retrospect, that makes sense.
- lol . No cookies for Yoshi!
- At least it's impossible to flutter jump through the entire level.
- The background at the end of Fattening Plains is the background at the start of the next level.
- Thanks. The background is from Mario and Wario, and the music is SM64 - Bob-omb battlefield.
- Yoshi shrinks when he has something in his mouth, even though it doesn't look like he did. The death ceiling thing needs to be fixed anyway.
- I know about that glitch already. I guess it's like doing barrel rolls in the star fox games.
- Thanks. It's like an all you can eat buffet that Yoshi isn't allowed to eat.
- I checked, and it looks like I only put in four. Whoops.
- Those time blocks trigger when you touch them; you don't have to hit them from below everytime.
- Maybe I should make the boo ring go in the other direction.
Ruby Switch Palace:
- This level isn't part of the demo.
Red Yoshi's Mansion:
- That seems to be a glitch with the green coins, unfortunately.
- You have to make sure there are no sprites on screen, otherwise the mess isn't fully cleaned up (at least that's my explanation). Just put the last shell in Yoshi's mouth to end the battle after defeating the eggs.
- You can still control Yoshi during most cutscenes. In fact, that's part of the joke for the first part of that cutscene.
- That's a glitch that needs fixing.
- Yeah, it is kind of hard. It's actually going to be a level in world four or five in a later version. And yes, I'm trying to make YSQ harder than MSQ.
- You need to take advantage of the level gimmick to reach it.
- Just move to the right a bit to make the chuck respawn.
- Yoshi can't pick up keys with his hands, and the keyhole doesn't activate when the key is in Yoshi's mouth.
- That's another glitch that needs fixing.
Lava Cavern 2:
- It's a sequel to Lava Cavern from MSQ.
And here's the final part of the testing. I know it's probably not the best testing ever, but I'm trying to give my thoughts as I play through.
Not Scary House:
Nice pallete, I would'nt've thought green would look that good but it does.
Man, I have conflicting opinions on this level. On one side, it's really well designed and fun. On the other hand, it's fucking hard. It's length plus eeries made this level much harder than the previous ones. I'd say cut it down, but there's no filler to get rid of. I'd say split it into two, maybe lengthen the sections a bit, and you've got two good ghost houses.
The first half is Really hard. The second half is Really easy. Seems a little bit backwards to me. The first area also looks a little barren at times, there could be a bit more going on.
I really liked your take on the boss (I did do a sigh when I saw it was homing thwomp, but then I cheered up when I noticed it was different), and I was having fun defeating him the normal way, kicking shells at him i assume, when i noticed something you should probably fix. He goes down to one egg. at any time. unless this is deliberate it needs fixing methinks.
I didn't realise how much i relied on spinjumping before, rotodisks are a whole new threat without it.
Also, first line of cutscene, theres a gap in the black between the ... and the ?!. It looks a little odd, why not fill it in? Ahh, i kinda see what you did it for now.
And with that we end, I think. Overall, it's pretty good. Definately aesthetic-wise, everything looks and sounds very good. I also didn't find any cut-off (though I wasn't specifically looking for it.).
Level-design wise, it's also pretty solid, it just gets difficult slightly too fast in my opinion. But then, that's difficult to judge in a two world demo. If the difficulty continues on a steady ramp then there's no problem at all.
There's not really any major cleanups to do here.Mainly just try and work on glitch fixing, and I know you're aware of most of those already. I'd just say work on the cave submap, and even that's because it only seems lame because the first map was awesome. Also, I'd possibly like to see a different level, or a changed level as of now, as the first level, as yours doesn't really feel like a first level, a world one level, yes. But not the very first one.
Thanks for letting me beta-test, I'll definately be playing this hack through when the final version comes out!
Thanks for playtesting YSQ, Bleaghhh. Like your previous post, I'm going to comment on your comments in order. Also, I made a mistake in my last post. I double checked Fattening Plains and it turns out I did put five Yoshi coins in that level; I didn't notice one of them when I checked the first time.
Not Scary House:
- You know, splitting that level in two might be a good idea.
- I think I'll swap the two sections so that the second part comes first. It shouldn't be too hard. Also, the difficulty of the first part makes sense, since that part is based off of the level Castle Crush in Donkey Kong Country 2.
- Since I'm using custom bosses that may or may not be overused, I have to get creative so that they are new again. Also, the Thwomp Boss I used was the one that was downloaded fewer times. Also, before I forget, I know about the one hit kill weakness it has. I want to make it get hurt by eggs only (which, by the way, I found out are basically fireballs. If an enemy can be hurt by fireballs normally, it can be hurt by eggs).
- The fact that spin jumping is disabled makes for interesting situations when the player encounters an obstacle that they would normally use a spin jump to get past. Of course, it wasn't my idea to disable spin jumping, but I don't mind it being disabled.
- Some of the levels in the current demo will be put in different places in a later version.
- The difficulty is alright for now, I suppose. World 1 is fairly easy, while world 2 is more difficult.
- I'll be sure to fix the glitches I can fix.
- I'll work on the cave submap a little to make it more interesting.
- The first level might be moved to a different place in a later demo.
- I'm glad you enjoyed playtesting YSQ.
Also, as a secret, did you know you can interact with the radio in Yoshi's house? Press up while in front of it a few times and see what happens.
Edit: I fixed some of the minor problems with YSQ that Bleaghhh found.
I also changed the first message of the first level to this:
"If you don't know what abilities you possess, go back to your house. Also, if you are low on health, pick up green coins."
That way I explain what the green coins do while still having the message serve the purpose it originally had. Also, I checked out the boss of the first castle, and I found out that Yoshi is safe where he starts. The boss can't hit Yoshi if you don't move from your starting position (but you also can't hurt the boss).
Another Edit: I've edited the second submap, so that it is a little more interesting. How's this:
Wow, the submap is cool. Did you really make it yourself? If yes, you're pretty good in making OWs, why were you that shy about it? You're going to be good in it, like Corruptendo, but yeah, this submap is free of perspective errors. (well, there are two small ones, but I won't tire you with that as almost every OW master makes something like this)