Language…
8 users online: AyGaAlPa, EvilLuma, Foxtrot200, LuigiTime, margot,  Teows,  TickTockClock, Tiozinho - Guests: 75 - Bots: 499
Users: 54,987 (2,175 active)
Latest user: EvilLuma

World 9 Boss: Doc Croc - YCZ, cstutor89 (ASM), WhiteYoshiEgg (GFX)

Complete

Eh?


Used the tiles from 131.
Not too sure about the Musical Mechanisms BG there (which I always thought looked extremely out-of-place in 131 as well), as it seems to me that Doc's lab ought to be a bit better maintained (which the shiny silver floor and walls seem to suggest as well). Other that that, it looks serviceable enough, though rather a bit basic--if it were at all possible to make it look like the room could conceivably at other times serve another purpose besides just simple boss arena, that could be a plus as well.
I think an overly complex lab-ish BG would work faboulus here.Still, it ain't up to me.
Your layout has been removed.
Any closer?


Uh... don't actually know which level that foreground is from. Also, does this background work? Or should I look around for/draw another? I'm trying not to have to add any more gfx to the hack if I don't have to.

Extras



I should have something witty to put here (even if it's just to update dated info), shouldn't I?

Advertising Space

As far as World 8 goes, all that's really left is for a laboratory BG.

Originally posted by sunwarrior25
Any closer?


Uh... don't actually know which level that foreground is from. Also, does this background work? Or should I look around for/draw another? I'm trying not to have to add any more gfx to the hack if I don't have to.


Might I suggest making it use a red palette? The rooms I made prior to the boss room that use a blood red color with the lab tileset mixed with the factory stuff.

Something similar to this.
I think a post layout goes here somewhere...

Like so?
That looks so much better in my opinion.
I think a post layout goes here somewhere...
Here is the stage(s level file). Uh... It currently overwrites 105. How do I get it to overwrite whichever sublevel yoshicookiezeus is using?

He should be able to take care of that on his end when the save dialog asks him what level number to save it as.
Layout by LDA during C3.

*Lightvayne Kicks yoshicookiezeus and the shin*

WHERES MY UPDATE!?
Layout by LDA during C3.
Just started work on the graphics routine; I have a decent idea of how to set it up to avoid making it unnecessarily complex. Expect screenshots soon.
My YouTube channel
Get the official ASMT resource pack here!

So I now have what ought to be a fully functional graphics routine done. Next step: add code to the sprite so that it uses the routine properly rather than just displaying the same frame all the time, so that I can actually test if it works.
My YouTube channel
Get the official ASMT resource pack here!




Yeah

Anyways, do you have anything for show-n-tell this week? :P
Layout by LDA during C3.
I am the worst procrastinator D:



When I actually tested it, it turned that my graphics routine wasn't as "fully functional" as I'd hoped it would be. As you can see in the screenshot I've managed to fix the most glaring errors (the initial version displayed all the tiles as 8x8 rather than 16x16 and made Mario disappear), but I'm still trying to figure out why I can't get the sprite to display any pose other than the default.
My YouTube channel
Get the official ASMT resource pack here!

Do you have a recent version of this? Now that I actually have some time, I can test it and give some thoughts on things (and hopefully it'll encourage you to pump out an update).
You can find a playable version here; it doesn't have the graphics (speaking of which, still trying to figure out why that graphics routine doesn't work as it should), but I'm fairly certain I haven't done anything to the actual behaviour since then.

I'd be very thankful for criticism on the attacks; I personally find that they turned out pretty terribly, but I'm not sure what to do to improve them. (A big part of the reason why I lost motivation with the boss is the fact that it turned out so much worse than I initially imagined it.)
My YouTube channel
Get the official ASMT resource pack here!

Okay, I do in fact have some feedback for this:

1. The first attack (diagonal bullets) is fine overall. It's a fair introduction to the boss battle.
2. The second attack (white ball that drops and spreads into two waves) comes on a little fast and it's fairly difficult to dodge the first time. Might be worth slowing it down a little bit and then speeding it up later on in the fight.
3. I really don't like the green orbs. They're way too unpredictable and I found that I got hit by them more than anything. Couple them with yellow orbs, and the battle turns downright nasty.
4. The homing enemy idea is a good one. It would be kind of neat if it self-destructed or something after a few minutes.
5. Obviously the graphics aren't fully in yet, but when they are, will Doc Croc's little pod get gradually more cracked as you hurt him? Since you don't have an HP bar and since he takes a fair number of hits, I'd suggest some sort of indication to show he's getting weaker.
6. I'd toss the player a mushroom partway through the fight.
7. Additional attack idea: have the Doc throw beakers (similar to the KooPhDs). The guy is supposed to be a mad scientist after all, so it would be nice to see something a little more creative beyond the laser balls.

I hope that's enough info to help you. Let me be honest though - you've been working on this for a very long time and you really only seem to post progress when I nag you to. Will you actually be able to use this feedback and start to post some fairly regular updates? If not, I'd suggest passing it on (though I'd hate to see that happen), or else this thing will never get done. I just don't want another Sonikku situation, especially when we're so close to finishing the hack.
Originally posted by S.N.N.
1. The first attack (diagonal bullets) is fine overall. It's a fair introduction to the boss battle.
2. The second attack (white ball that drops and spreads into two waves) comes on a little fast and it's fairly difficult to dodge the first time. Might be worth slowing it down a little bit and then speeding it up later on in the fight.
3. I really don't like the green orbs. They're way too unpredictable and I found that I got hit by them more than anything. Couple them with yellow orbs, and the battle turns downright nasty.
4. The homing enemy idea is a good one. It would be kind of neat if it self-destructed or something after a few minutes.
5. Obviously the graphics aren't fully in yet, but when they are, will Doc Croc's little pod get gradually more cracked as you hurt him? Since you don't have an HP bar and since he takes a fair number of hits, I'd suggest some sort of indication to show he's getting weaker.
6. I'd toss the player a mushroom partway through the fight.
7. Additional attack idea: have the Doc throw beakers (similar to the KooPhDs). The guy is supposed to be a mad scientist after all, so it would be nice to see something a little more creative beyond the laser balls.

2. Sure, I can do that.
3. Unpredictable? They always aim straight for you once they turn yellow; as long as you keep moving, they'll always miss. :V Although I'll definitely admit that the final attack needs some work.
5. Yes, the glass bubble gets more and more cracked as you deal damage to the boss. (speaking of which, I finally figured out why the graphics routine wasn't working)
6. Fair enough; I'll have him spawn one once the initial four waves are done.
7. That's a really good idea, but I don't think I have that sprite. Could you send it to me?

Originally posted by S.N.N.
Let me be honest though - you've been working on this for a very long time and you really only seem to post progress when I nag you to. Will you actually be able to use this feedback and start to post some fairly regular updates? If not, I'd suggest passing it on (though I'd hate to see that happen), or else this thing will never get done.

...to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. Give me two more weeks and I'll try to make one final push to get this thing done; if that doesn't happen, feel free to pass it on to someone else.
My YouTube channel
Get the official ASMT resource pack here!

The sprite in question is called "ThrownVial.asm" and it's included in the base ROM ZIP. I'll send you the password in a PM if you don't already have it.

Complete