So, here is a tutorial on how to use Romi's SpriteTool.
In this example, I will use the Boomerang Bro. and the Boss Bass.
You will need:
- Romi's SpriteTool
- Your ROM Hack
- Lunar Magic
- Windows XP/Vista/7
1. Backup you ROM
2. Move it to SpriteTool's directory.
3. Create a new text file.
4. Type HEX numbers, then a space and the sprite's *.CFG file. In our case, we will type in:
See how I set this up? If a sprite uses a sprite that's not in the game, then you need to put it DIRECTLY after the sprite. In our case, we will use the Boomerang Bro., so we put the boomerang RIGHT AFTER the sprite's *.CFG. Here is how does the list look in my Rom hack:
5. Save the text file.
Note: Sprites that are normal go into the "sprites" folder. Sprites, that are shoooters go into the "shooters" folder and sprites, which are generators go into the "generators" folder.
Note 2: If you're using a sprite
, then its number must be between 01 and BF. If you're using a shooter
, the its number must be between C0 and CF. Generators
can only use numbers between D0 and DF.
Note 3: The sprites CANNOT have spaces in their names, so beware.
How to insert the sprites
1. Open "sprite_tool.exe".
2. Enter your Rom's filename and hit <ENTER>. If SpriteTool accepts the name, you can continue.
3. Enter the Sprite List's filename (In my case, sprites.txt). It cannot have spaces in it. Hit <ENETER>.
If there are no errors in the process, your sprites are semi-ready to use.
Almost forgot about that! Go to the "tilemaps" folder, and copy the ExGFX file in your Rom's "ExGraphics" folder. The filename should tell you what slot to use. See another tutorial, if you don't know how to use ExGFX.
Using the sprites
Now our sprites are set up correctly! But, how do we use them? Well, here is how:
1. Open the level you want to put the sprites into.
2. Use the Super GFX Bypass dialog, to load the sprites in the corresponding slot.
3. Switch to Sprite Editing Mode.
4. Press <INSERT>.
5. In the "Sprite Command" textbox, type in the sprite number. If your sprite uses an extra bit, then type 3 in the corresponding textbox. If it doesn't use extra bit, then type 2 in the textbox.
6. Hit <ENTER>, and should get a "null" sprite on creen 00. Don't panic! You sprite is working properly. Lunar Magic can't display the custom sprites correctly.
Huge and fat note: Do NOT place any sprites in slots E0-FF! Doing so
may will freeze your game!
Test you ROM and your sprite(s) should be working!
EDIT: Disabled my layout, for better reading.