Banner
Views: 934,361,193
Time:
10 users online: Daemontom, Duraner Hawkeye, Francium, GiraffeKiller, Hwailaluta,  JamesD28, Magmatic,  MarkAlarm, Qrtr The,  RussianMan - Guests: 69 - Bots: 134 Users: 52,123 (2,120 active)
Latest: Tommy89
Tip: When determining a time limit, remember that players won't be as familiar with the level as you are. If you normally complete the level with around 100s left on the timer, others might run out of time on their first try.
Not logged in.
023: Emerald Escapade - cstutor89
Forum Index - Events - Super Mario World Central Production 2 Completion Project - World 5 - 023: Emerald Escapade - cstutor89
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Link
Owner: cstutor89

World: 5
Exits: 1
Theme: Green Switch Palace
Music: Switch Palace
Additional ExGFX Recommendation(s): ExGFX 113 (Switch Palace w/ Slopes) [BG2]

Briefing: This is the second switch palace in the hack. All switch palaces in this are aiming to act as "real" levels rather than minor bonuses. Try to incorporate a puzzle into it which is appropriate for world 4's difficulty.

Special Note: Because the Switch Palace is aiming to be a level too, players may wish to replay the level. This means that there must be a way to end the level if the switch has already been pressed
Didn't Ludus reserve this level already?

--------------------
I'm sorry, but I'm not good at SMW hacking, so I gave up on it. That means I'm leaving SMWCentral. Bye!
Ludus already dropped a switch palace level, so uh...
Maybe I'll claim this level, or you'll offer this level to someone else.

--------------------
I'm sorry, but I'm not good at SMW hacking, so I gave up on it. That means I'm leaving SMWCentral. Bye!

Extras



I should have something witty to put here (even if it's just to update dated info), shouldn't I?

Advertising Space

You have never shown anything in another thread (like the WIP forum) since you lost your last level to suggest that you have improved (enough) to be given another shot with this collab.

Is it possible for someone like me to get this level? Part of the reason why I haven't asked before is because I don't feel like I have contributed enough to this project or site. Most of the SMW Hack stuff I do is primarily on my own and post level videos on Youtube but hardly ever on here. I'm okay with a 'no' answer if that's the case. I can't do the fancy things like Layer 3/Terra Stripe stuff but I do know ASM/Blocks/ExAnim/LM fairly well.

I did have a plan for the Green Switch Palace, kind of an exploration through a ruins in search of the ON/OFF button. New shooter would include trap-door Arrow Shooters. Step on the trap-door and it releases quick flying arrows from the wall-units that hurt and throw sprites (Mario and enemies) back a bit.

Part 1 (Outside the Ruins): This is a very short area, about 5 screens long. Mainly straightforward and avoiding normal enemies (Monty Moles, a few Munchers, and Pencil Traps as Spears) and Trap-Door Arrow Shooters.

Part 2 (Inside the Ruins): Some platforming and a line-guided tour. Mario must also avoid spears, arrows, crumbling floors, spike traps, pokeys (if possible), bats, and bottomless floors. Afterwards, a short moderately difficult puzzle with a save point; which should be a max of 12 screens overall.

Part 3 (Escaping the Ruins): Mario finds the ON/OFF switch, hits it and gets a message from a spirit saying "how dare he hit my switch". The earth shakes and a Spiked Wall comes down on Mario. Mario has to run out in time before 60 seconds are up while avoiding all of the enemies from Part 2 and falling rocks. Might need a generator, not sure yet. Blast out to Part 1 and now Mario can go down the first pipe blocked before by the ON/OFF switch to the Green Switch or Goal Roulette. Should be a max of 8 screens.

Plus 1 SMW Coin in each part.
You can give it a shot if you'd like, cstutor. At this point, I don't really see anyone else who wants/is qualified enough to take it, so I'd be interested in seeing what you could do.

Just make sure you read through the stickies in the main forum, and sign up for all of your resources in the Signups forum. Good luck, and don't forget that there's a pretty great graphical set in level 1EE that could probably help you get started.

The offer is open to anyone who wants it. I like your idea for this so far cstutor89 and it kinda shows you've been at least somewhat following the project.
You not being very active is the part that worries me a bit. You've been around since January and have only posted 9 times. If we give you the level, you need to be active and at least post weekly updates. Do you have any screenshots or videos of any recent work you have done?

Edit: S.N.Ninja'd
Layout by LDA during C3.
Originally posted by S.N.N.
You can give it a shot if you'd like, cstutor. At this point, I don't really see anyone else who wants/is qualified enough to take it, so I'd be interested in seeing what you could do.

Just make sure you read through the stickies in the main forum, and sign up for all of your resources in the Signups forum. Good luck, and don't forget that there's a pretty great graphical set in level 1EE that could probably help you get started.


Oh okay, thanks. I'll get started right away. I've read through most of the stickies but I'll go over it one more time just to make sure I read everything. I do have to go into Lvl 1EE and take a look at that after I read everything.

Originally posted by Lightvayne
The offer is open to anyone who wants it. I like your idea for this so far cstutor89 and it kinda shows you've been at least somewhat following the project.
You not being very active is the part that worries me a bit. You've been around since January and have only posted 9 times. If we give you the level, you need to be active and at least post weekly updates.


I understand. I will be more active now that I have a level and at least post weekly updates. I'm trying to stay as updated with the project as possible (what kinds of levels there are, graphics, and other small things) while trying to stay as excited as possible by trying not to see too much (what is in the levels). That's pretty much the reason why I haven't been active with this project, but I will try to be as active as possible.

Extras



I should have something witty to put here (even if it's just to update dated info), shouldn't I?

Advertising Space

Originally posted by cstutor89
Mario has to run out in time before 60 seconds are up while avoiding all of the enemies from Part 2 and falling rocks.


This isn't for you, but how will the timer be set for this hack anyway, what with all of the levels so far having infinite time and the new status bar?


Everyone has been using the Clock Magician so far that has needed any sort of time limit.

cst, you might need to request a custom sprite timer if you are going this route. Although, you get clever with the Clock Magician sprite or reverse air meter.
Layout by LDA during C3.
Originally posted by Lightvayne
Everyone has been using the Clock Magician so far that has needed any sort of time limit.

cst, you might need to request a custom sprite timer if you are going this route. Although, you get clever with the Clock Magician sprite or reverse air meter.


That's pretty much what I was thinking.
I've been working quite a bit on this level (specifically all through the night) and I was able to get most of the sprites done (the two shooters), the arrows, and the trapdoor mechanism. There's still something really strange going on with the arrows randomly changing direction. Most of the time they point in the correct direction but every once in a while they point in the opposite direction. Really weird ... I'll look more into that.

As for the level itself, I was able to get some graphics done. I'll post some screenshots below. Let me know if I need to add more/less detail. I'm still thinking it might need more mainly on the bricks and desert. I'm trying to keep the BG simplistic on the outside and more complex in part 2. The stars do have Palette ExAnim, but on a screenshot it's kind of hard to see.




I'm pretty much sticking to what I had for the description. That's pretty much it for the update at this moment, I'll be working more on this tomorrow (or today really lol).
Not sure how I feel about the two question blocks set into the facade (makes it hard to get what's inside them), and for me, the switch palace tileset really stands out (I kind of wonder if the white should be toned down outdoors, as if the coloration has been weathered down by the elements). Nitpicks aside, though, I like the way this looks. I think the textures on the bricks and sand are fine right now, though see what others say and do show us if you come up with any alternates.


Also, I appreciate your work ethic, but don't burn yourself out in the short run. All we're asking for is a relatively steady stream of progress.

--------------------
Youtube (Main) | Youtube (Alt) | Bandcamp | DeviantART
I also watched the video of your level, and I think it's looking good so far. The graphics look great, and those arrow shooters are a nice touch. There are a couple of little things I would like to point out, though:

- I don't see the point of having so many ? Blocks in the walls when it doesn't seem possible to hit them. This is minor, though, and if it's more like receiving more prizes for having a cape, that's fine.

- I'm not too fond of the arrows making a sound effect when they hit a wall. You said you made the arrow sprite, so I think you should make it so they don't make a sound when they hit walls.

Still, the level looks like it's coming together nicely so far. Keep up the good work! :>
Layout by Mirann <3

Extras



I should have something witty to put here (even if it's just to update dated info), shouldn't I?

Advertising Space

The video in question some "useless bunny" is talking about.

- Disable the level palette animation (Palette 6 Shenanigans) by pressing the coin icon in the tool bar and unticking the necessary box.
- I suggest using track 30 (Desert/Ruins Level 1) for the desert segments, since it seems to fit the best out of all of the current songs.

My only main gripe which hasn't been noted by others yet is that the arrow blocks are difficult to see given their palette. That is, they blend in with the normal tileset a little too well. On the whole though, I really like the idea and execution so far, so keep up the good work.
Thanks for the feedback. Most of it was really helpful. :)

Originally posted by AxemJinx
Not sure how I feel about the two question blocks set into the facade (makes it hard to get what's inside them), and for me, the switch palace tileset really stands out (I kind of wonder if the white should be toned down outdoors, as if the coloration has been weathered down by the elements).


Yeah, I think I will get rid of the coin blocks that are too hard to reach even for the cape and just have a few of them 2-3 at most. Now that I think about that, the white does stand out a bit. I'll look to see if there's another slightly darker white to match the night level.

Originally posted by ZMann
- I don't see the point of having so many ? Blocks in the walls when it doesn't seem possible to hit them. This is minor, though, and if it's more like receiving more prizes for having a cape, that's fine.

- I'm not too fond of the arrows making a sound effect when they hit a wall. You said you made the arrow sprite, so I think you should make it so they don't make a sound when they hit walls.


I'll keep the ? Blocks in the walls to a minimal but make it simple for a cape to get. I think I'm going to make the sound only occur when it hits Mario or another sprite only.

Originally posted by MrDeePay
- Disable the level palette animation (Palette 6 Shenanigans) by pressing the coin icon in the tool bar and unticking the necessary box.
- I suggest using track 30 (Desert/Ruins Level 1) for the desert segments, since it seems to fit the best out of all of the current songs.


Okay, I'll take a look at those things and fix those up.

Originally posted by S.N.N.
My only main gripe which hasn't been noted by others yet is that the arrow blocks are difficult to see given their palette. That is, they blend in with the normal tileset a little too well.


It does look very close to something that is hard to see. I might make the shooter part a darker red color or something to distinguish this block as an arrow shooter.
Just letting you guys know that I have fixed most of the things that were mentioned in the feedback. I probably will add the music in at the very end once it's all completed.

I have been working on Part 2, right now, and I'm almost done with that. It does need some tweaking as there are some memory/slowdown issue problems but overall, it's going alright now. I should have an IPS soon to try out for up to Part 2.

EDIT:

I finally have an IPS for the level (I hope it works): Green Switch Palace

If you would like to watch a video of the level instead of playing with the IPS, you can see the video here: Video

It's not finished yet, there's still some weird quirks with the arrows changing direction (???) and on top of that some questionable areas that are tough. Music is not inserted and now it's time for me to catch some zzz's.
Ugh, 24 hour unable to repost. I wanted to post yesterday but I just couldn't so I just put an Edit insert. Anyways, I worked on this a quite a bit the last couple of days.

Here's a link to the IPS (I hope it works): IPS

If you would like to see a video of this level being played here it is on Youtube: Video

There are still 2 (minor) issues for me to resolve.
1. Arrows are still flipping vertically sometimes ... GAH, why!?
2. Pillars in the 3rd Part look strange as the ceiling is coming down.

BTW: I looked for Song 30 but it wasn't inserted in the latest base rom. So right now the 1st part has a song substitute and will change later.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Link
Forum Index - Events - Super Mario World Central Production 2 Completion Project - World 5 - 023: Emerald Escapade - cstutor89

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2021 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks