Language…
14 users online:  Anorakun, AntiDuck, Claire_Chan, Connnnair, DimeR,  Donut, FPI, Jeff2342,  JupiHornet,  NopeContest, NovaDelta, SiameseTwins,  TheJavabrew, ZachJamesGames - Guests: 87 - Bots: 261
Users: 65,987 (2,172 active)
Latest user: thatwaterblockrk

The Classic Creative Reassembly [team hack]

Standard

Originally posted by KevKot
contains pokeys frequently.

#w{<3}

Either way, surely that should have no baring on anything. Just provide the player with a hidden Yoshi (not too hidden mind) and you'll be fine.
SMWC's official dentist since 2011.

YouTube - Threads - Bluesky
Originally posted by camoslash
Do you have a warning about that in the beginning of the level? If not you should add one to avoid people having cheap deaths. Although I do say that level looks pretty awesome just based on that pic, good work there =)


Thanks, and yeah there will be a warning about the pits. Falling in won’t kill you though it'll just end the bonus level.

Originally posted by KevKot
Just asking, is Yoshi going to be used until my level? It's a important part of my level becauses is contains pokeys frequently.


Feel free to put Yoshi in your level if you want however I’ll have to ask that you don’t allow the player to end the level with him. Just keep him contained in your stage.

That’s pretty much how we plan to use Yoshi (just in select stages) similar to New Super Mario Bros Wii.
We should add the block that does not allow Yoshi to pass, unless it is already in the Base Rom. If not, then we should add it.

Or you could just use the Counter Break Y patch to stop the player from carrying Yoshi over to the next level.
SMWC's official dentist since 2011.

YouTube - Threads - Bluesky
Originally posted by marioVSshadow
Or you could just use the Counter Break Y patch to stop the player from carrying Yoshi over to the next level.

^ This 10000 times. Actually I do not want to provide Yoshi in my level, because you could skip a entire part easily.
Originally posted by camoslash
We should add the block that does not allow Yoshi to pass, unless it is already in the Base Rom. If not, then we should add it.


Originally posted by marioVSshadow
Or you could just use the Counter Break Y patch to stop the player from carrying Yoshi over to the next level.


Both good ideas but for now we don’t really have to worry about Yoshi (as he hasn’t appeared in any of the levels yet). Eventually though we’ll likely have to consider using one of the above “Yoshi containment” solutions.

In any case Yoshi won’t be allowed out in the Over World so you don’t have to worry about anyone bringing Yoshi into your level KevKot.
Well I actually agree with MvS about the patch, I forgot all about it haha.

Well, I changed up the level I was working on, and now it should be a lot harder =) Here is a video to show it off, it is not fully completed yet though, I wanted you guys to check out the progress, and if you all like how it is going, I will continue making it like that =) Also I haven't added any coins/blocks/power-ups yet. Enjoy!

I’d remove the sumo enemy at the start since that’ll require the player to react a little too quickly.

Also I noticed a sprite limitation issue at the very end with the fire balls. You may want to move those volcano lotus plants farther apart.

Other than that the level design is looking pretty good and I don’t see any other problems. It is certainly looking difficult enough for world 6. Good job.

I also have a suggestion about the palette of the bridge tiles. Despite it being a default palette I don’t really like the gray faded look, so how about changing it to how it looked in that one special world level (purple)? Or maybe try giving it a custom palette. See below for some comparisons.




How does the palette look now? Tried to make it blend with the palette that was used for the FG. And is that a better start do you think?

It looks good for me. Generic but good. (but that's probably the point of this palette)
Sorry, about my level I'll work on it soon.
Originally posted by camoslash

How does the palette look now? Tried to make it blend with the palette that was used for the FG. And is that a better start do you think?


That looks quite nice camoslash, it looks much better orange.
For those who are curious, I recently posted a video of the first level I got done in this hack on my channel.

Link to video
Click here to enter the world of mediocre!
So I """finished""" my level, HOWEVER

a) I'm totally NOT satisfied with it. It seems to doesn't have a "red line" throughout the level.

So I really, really want harsh critic. If you give your advice, however, keep in mind that I want the sprite setup and current level length (although I'm sure the midway point should go 2 screens back)

Here's the IPS from the Level, no other content like .mwl. Note that I'm sure that it isn't good!
Don’t be so hard on yourself Shog your level wasn’t bad, but could use some fixing up.



It feels a little too cramped down in this little hole. The reward isn’t that great either, just the ability to clear out a few munchers.



I noticed quite a few bad corner tiles that create small cutoff.



Massive slowdown here, I don’t believe we need all four colored koopas here.



Not a big deal, but I just thought this looked odd, you should probably connect the ceiling and wall tiles with a corner tile.



I really do like how you reference an old classic segment in the original Super Mario World. However you made it a little too similar to the original. I suggest making “rooms of turn blocks” in your own style.

The dolphins in the level felt more of a decoration than anything else. I’d either put them to better use or remove them as they make the level feel less “classic” as it is.

Also the second section doesn’t really fit the level imo. You don’t have to do this but I think it would be fitting if the second section was underwater. Actually since this is the ghost/water world you could make a small section based on the ghost ship from the original SMW.

_____________________
EDIT:

I’ve pretty much finished my latest “Classic” level. Just mainly need to adjust a few of the sprite placement.

I hope this level isn’t getting too hard (even though it is in world 6).





I may adjust these sections a bit. Though they provide a relatively fair challenge.

Here is a look at the Yoshi coin placement and secret exit.
Originally posted by SilverSwallow
Don’t be so hard on yourself Shog your level wasn’t bad, but could use some fixing up.


I'm "only hard to myself" because the level isn't really funny :P I'm thankful for your advice, however.

Originally posted by SilverSwallow

It feels a little too cramped down in this little hole. The reward isn’t that great either, just the ability to clear out a few munchers.


Agreed on this, i have an idea already. I use only one fish instead, remove except one cement block the other blocks and add one screen later a pipe/little bonus thing what gives the player a 1-UP if you made it in time


Originally posted by SilverSwallow


I noticed quite a few bad corner tiles that create small cutoff.



Unfortunately I had to do this, because (check something later) it looks wierd to see the background from the level


Originally posted by SilverSwallow

I really do like how you reference an old classic segment in the original Super Mario World. However you made it a little too similar to the original. I suggest making “rooms of turn blocks” in your own style.


Wow, how could I miss that? It looks infact exactly like the original... wierd. Although after cheeking it, my has no feather power up block among other things. But I have an idea already, how to change it and to make it more evil^^
Originally posted by SilverSwallow

The dolphins in the level felt more of a decoration than anything else. I’d either put them to better use or remove them as they make the level feel less “classic” as it is.

But I luv dolphins T_T I have to think some way to use them. I guess you think about the first dolphin right? The one by the two muncher rows. If yes, I agree. But for some bonus content (think about the one which you need for the yoshi coin) I guess that's okay?
Originally posted by SilverSwallow

Also the second section doesn’t really fit the level imo. You don’t have to do this but I think it would be fitting if the second section was underwater. Actually since this is the ghost/water world you could make a small section based on the ghost ship from the original SMW.


You know, I fuckin hate to do Layer 2 Level. That's also the reason why it looks so fucked up in LM after you open it, it's because I had no idea what to do in the first screen...I love the Ghost Ship idea, you know...

However I have to know if there is someone here in this Project which already uses the SMW Ship BG? Because I have the idea that my level is part of the other designers level! It could be like a small portion of it, of course a other sublevel, but it creates an illusion to be part of an other level with the ship BG!


Finally, thanks for your answer, your always so helpful with level refining and stuff like that. Except better stuff next week :)
Originally posted by Shog

Unfortunately I had to do this, because (check something later) it looks wierd to see the background from the level


Actually you can fix it pretty easily:



Use tiles 147 & 14A. Then change palette 2 color 3 to match the water color.

Originally posted by Shog

But I luv dolphins T_T I have to think some way to use them. I guess you think about the first dolphin right? The one by the two muncher rows. If yes, I agree. But for some bonus content (think about the one which you need for the yoshi coin) I guess that's okay?


The one that gives you the boost to the Yoshi coin is fine, but besides the one you mentioned there is also the one near the 1-up that seems to “just be there”, and although the one near the goal can get you a higher “star point return” so can the clapping chuck.

Originally posted by Shog

However I have to know if there is someone here in this Project which already uses the SMW Ship BG? Because I have the idea that my level is part of the other designers level! It could be like a small portion of it, of course a other sublevel, but it creates an illusion to be part of an other level with the ship BG!


As far as I know nobody has used the ghost ship BG yet (or even the ghost house BG). That idea of yours does sound interesting however. I too have thought about giving previews of later levels this way or referencing old ones.

Originally posted by Shog

Finally, thanks for your answer, your always so helpful with level refining and stuff like that.


No problem, I love to give feedback and tips.
I got inspired again and drew some more graphics:


Just a WIP so far.

These graphics could fit well in a world 3 stage or world 8 maybe.
I don't really like the balloons, I think they have to be a tad lighter. The wires aren't really nice either, a little too thick. But, besides that, I like it!
Nice looking graphics! Although, I will have to agree with Torchkas. Except what I have to say is, just the strings need to be a tad thinner.

About the palettes of the balloons Torchkas, you can always change the Palette of them, right? So I see this as no real problem.

But anyway, looks pretty good Snifit, keep it up!

Standard