Originally posted by Ultimaximus
Information should never be trashed or destroyed, please restore the original thread title so future members searching the Tech Desk can find this solution if they have the same problem.
Done. No need to trash the thread then.
Edit: I guess I might as well explain what I did while I'm at it as well, so that people can further benefit from the thread.
1. The first thing you need to do is create a shortcut to ZSNES in the same folder as ZSNES. If done right you should have zsnesw.exe (the actual program) and zsnesw.lnk (the shortcut).
2. In regedit, you will need to navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\smc_auto_file\shell\open\command.
3. Modify the (Default) value in the command key so that it displays the following (quotation marks included):
"C:\<replace this with path to folder containing ZSNES>\zsnesw.lnk" "%1"
4. Reboot your computer, then go back into regedit and navigate back to the key you modified in step 3, then change the 'lnk' to 'exe'.
5. Right click any smc file and select "open with". ZSNES should be available as an option. Select it, and make sure you have "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" checked.
Note that I did this with Windows 7; it might work with Vista, but I can't be 100% sure.
Also, if you don't have an smc_auto_file key in the registry, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.smc. Look at the data in the (Default) value. Write this down on piece of paper or something. Then, while still in HKCR, navigate to the key that you wrote down, and expand it. Inside, you should see a key called "shell". Expand that, and you'll see the key "open"; expand THAT, and you will get to the "command" key. From there, simply follow the instructions from step 3.