Hack Submission Guidelines
Hack tag list
All hacks, with the exception of those submitted as an invalid format, will be played and reviewed by a staff member. Any removals will be logged here
You are responsible for finding a beta tester
and/or playtesting the hack yourself; hack moderators are not
testers. You are advised to make a thread in Works in Progress
instead if you are seeking general feedback. Unless your hack is of kaizo or pit difficulty, you should playtest it without
Note that abuse of the moderation system may result in a section ban.
- Create a BPS patch - Download Floating IPS and follow the instructions.
- Gather additional text content - Readme, credits, and special challenges are welcome, but optional.
- Place the hack in a ZIP archive.
- Name the hack.
- Declare the length - Enter the actual number of exits in the submitted version.
- Select a difficulty - Easy, Normal, Hard, Kaizo: Light, Kaizo: Hard or Pit.
- Tag your hack appropriately.
- Describe your hack - In the description, tell players what your hack is all about, and what to expect from it.
- Add Screenshots - Include at least three screenshots that are taken from your emulator. Use a variety of screenshots showcasing different parts of your hack. Do not include screenshots inside the ZIP archive.
- Be reasonable with your updates - Updates that are either submitted during your current hack's moderation, or those that add little (minor cosmetic changes, minor fixes, so on) without being substantial (either fixing major issues, adding levels etc) will not be accepted.
Immediate Removal if the Hack:
- Is a ROM file
- Is an .IPS patch
- Fails to run
- Contains any malware or illegal content
- Breaks or crashes in any major emulator (latest Snes9x and higan)*
- Is a duplicate of a hack already accepted into the archive
- Traps the player in any way, forcing them to wait out the timer or reset
- Makes the player die on the title screen, barring use of this fix
- Is uploaded without the consent of the author
- Is submitted on behalf of a banned user
- Violates an excessive amount of community core values, listed below:
- The hack has enough time of gameplay per single run (generally, a hack of 2 short levels is not enough)
- Levels are made from scratch, excluding translation hacks
- Levels are distinguishable from one another in design quality
- No sudden damage from unpredictable events, with the exception of Kaizo hacks
- Level design is engaging and is able to keep the player active
- Clean palettes
- Clean use of graphics (e.g. avoiding 'cutoff', 'glitched sprites', and 'background garbage')
- Explicit content is given the "mature content" tag and/or is warned of in the description
*Kaizo/Pit hacks may be exempt if this is the result of an intentional glitch present in the original game.
Conditions for Special Hacks
- "Translation" hacks must have perfect spelling and grammar.
- Please submit any "Graphic Base" hacks to the graphics section, using .bin and .pal files.
- "Tech Demo" hacks, which exist strictly for demonstrating HDMA and ASM, will be removed.
- "Kaizo" hacks must strive to avoid exploits which allow sequence-breaking. A list of additional guidelines and core values for kaizo hacks can be found here.
- Joke hacks must also strive to be as fun (and funny) as possible. If it doesn't meet these values, it will be removed. This includes being made solely for the sake of a meme but neglecting good level design.
If you wish to update an approved hack, please use the "Submit Update" button.
Moderators will not
take requests to remove your hack if it has already been approved.