Language…
19 users online: 7 up, AntonioAntonio, cyber47509, Dark Prince, foehn377, Foreversmokin, G.A games., hendog30_, Mecke1990, Mohamad20ZX, MORC, NGB, RichardDS90, Sokobansolver, Soul,  Teows, VinylHeart, WhiteYoshiEgg, Ziz - Guests: 91 - Bots: 214
Users: 55,664 (2,415 active)
Latest user: AntonioDosGames

AddmusicK Beta Release Thread

Link Thread Closed
Hm, I keep getting error messages in the latest version of AddmusicK whenever I use an #ifdef/#ifndef..."Error parsing replacement directive; could not find '='". Mind you, I wrote them the exact same way I always had, and it worked fine in every other version. Perhaps I should wait to worry about it until the define-related bugs are fixed?...

----------------

I'm working on a hack! Check it out here.
Originally posted by imamelia
Hm, I keep getting error messages in the latest version of AddmusicK whenever I use an #ifdef/#ifndef..."Error parsing replacement directive; could not find '='". Mind you, I wrote them the exact same way I always had, and it worked fine in every other version. Perhaps I should wait to worry about it until the define-related bugs are fixed?...


I updated late last night but didn't actually create a post because I was tired and had planned on doing it today. So...yeah, here are the things that have been updated; see if the #define bit is what's causing issues.

The following bugs have been fixed so far:
  • The Start+Select bug.
  • The Yoshi drums bug.
  • The P-switch at the goal bug.
  • Hopefully all the replacement command ("") bugs (and there were a lot of them).
  • The castle destruction music bug.
  • Various bugs related to echo (that was itself causing other bugs).


I've also updated the #define etc. commands. They now work a bit differently:

Code
#define TEST
#define TEST2 20
#define TEST3 20

#ifdef TEST
	; Active code
#endif

#if TEST2 < 10
	; Inactive code
#endif

#undef TEST3

#ifdef TEST3
	; Inactive code
#endif


You may also nest them now, as well.
I should get a new layout.

Probably won't, though.
I found 2 new bugs with the latest version:
1. The Echo feedback parameter is always ignored (DSP always uses default $60 value)
2. Some songs don't play correctly (different channels have different tempos, go to other parts of song, etc.)
Please excuse my lack of an avatar or banner. I'm just too damn lazy to create one.
Originally posted by mju90
I found 2 new bugs with the latest version:
1. The Echo feedback parameter is always ignored (DSP always uses default $60 value)


Ah, thank you. That's been fixed.

Originally posted by mju90
2. Some songs don't play correctly (different channels have different tempos, go to other parts of song, etc.)


I haven't noticed any glitches like that, so I'll need you to give me a specific example.

Since the last update, I've also fixed (hopefully) all glitches related to #defines, as well as a minor percussion glitch.
I should get a new layout.

Probably won't, though.
Originally posted by mju90
2. Some songs don't play correctly (different channels have different tempos, go to other parts of song, etc.)


I believe I found the cause. It has to do whenever the $F4 $03 command is used to toggle echo. The command breaks the song whenever it's used.
Please excuse my lack of an avatar or banner. I'm just too damn lazy to create one.
By the way, if you pause the game and unpause, the music will stay "paused", the problem I've found is in the Addmusic_sound effects.txt because of this piece of text:

Code
11	11 Pause.txt
12 *	11 Pause.txt


But setting to:

Code
11	11 Pause.txt
12	12 Unpause.txt


Fixes the problem, maybe it was forgotten or something...
Originally posted by mju90
I believe I found the cause. It has to do whenever the $F4 $03 command is used to toggle echo. The command breaks the song whenever it's used.


Sorry, I meant more like a specific song. I haven't noticed any bugs like that so far in anything I've been testing.

Originally posted by DiscoMan
By the way, if you pause the game and unpause, the music will stay "paused", the problem I've found is in the Addmusic_sound effects.txt because of this piece of text:


Thank you for pointing that out; it's been fixed.
I should get a new layout.

Probably won't, though.
Originally posted by Kipernal
Originally posted by mju90
I believe I found the cause. It has to do whenever the $F4 $03 command is used to toggle echo. The command breaks the song whenever it's used.


Sorry, I meant more like a specific song. I haven't noticed any bugs like that so far in anything I've been testing.

Originally posted by DiscoMan
By the way, if you pause the game and unpause, the music will stay "paused", the problem I've found is in the Addmusic_sound effects.txt because of this piece of text:


Thank you for pointing that out; it's been fixed.


Sorry about that. It happens noticeably in "Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse - Aquarius.txt" which comes included with AddMusicK. The song uses the $F4 $03 command a lot. Also some other songs that use that command break as well.
Please excuse my lack of an avatar or banner. I'm just too damn lazy to create one.
Originally posted by mju90
Sorry about that. It happens noticeably in "Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse - Aquarius.txt" which comes included with AddMusicK. The song uses the $F4 $03 command a lot. Also some other songs that use that command break as well.


fffff how did those songs get in there. I'll take a look, thanks for reporting it.
I should get a new layout.

Probably won't, though.
When I insert, it say:

Error parsing sample groups.txt. Expected opening quotes.

I do what?
I do art commissions cheap! PM here or DM via Discord for more details.

**Layout by Erik557


Originally posted by mju90
Sorry about that. It happens noticeably in "Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse - Aquarius.txt" which comes included with AddMusicK. The song uses the $F4 $03 command a lot. Also some other songs that use that command break as well.


Alright, I found the bug. And it was something truly face-palm worth too. Thank you for reporting it.

Originally posted by Ruberjig
When I insert, it say:

Error parsing sample groups.txt. Expected opening quotes.

I do what?


Did you modify that file? Better yet, are you using the most recent version of that file?

Also, as a minor feature update, I've included the ability to use volumes above $26; you can now go up to double that. The command to do so is $FA $03 $XX, where $XX is a multiplier: $00 does not modify the volume, $FF roughly doubles it. It only affects the current channel, and you must be careful to avoid clipping while using it. Sorry Vitor, for not using your idea!
I should get a new layout.

Probably won't, though.
Originally posted by Kipernal
Also, as a minor feature update, I've included the ability to use volumes above $26; you can now go up to double that. The command to do so is $FA $03 $XX, where $XX is a multiplier: $00 does not modify the volume, $FF roughly doubles it. It only affects the current channel, and you must be careful to avoid clipping while using it.


I should totally try this out sometime. Volume has been a problem for me with DKC ports since always (sampled too), and this allows for just a bit more flexibility.
There's Asar 1.33 in the tools section. Shouldn't this tool use that one, instead of 1.30?
Also: song glitch: At the sampled version of The Legend of Zelda- The Minish Cap - Minish Woods, at 4 seconds, the song stops a little bit and continues. That's not right.
Yes, the Nightmare Warship song is fixed, but the sogn I mentioned above has a very little pause that shouldn't be there.
Haven't been noticing any bugs since the update. Only 1 minor thing so far. AMK once again doesn't recognize the "&" symbol.
Originally posted by Ripperon-X
There's Asar 1.33 in the tools section. Shouldn't this tool use that one, instead of 1.30?


It does now.

Originally posted by Ripperon-X
Also: song glitch: At the sampled version of The Legend of Zelda- The Minish Cap - Minish Woods, at 4 seconds, the song stops a little bit and continues. That's not right.


You...uh...already mentioned that. Pretty much word-for-word. It wasn't something I fixed the last time I updated, but it has been fixed now.

Originally posted by mario90
Haven't been noticing any bugs since the update. Only 1 minor thing so far. AMK once again doesn't recognize the "&" symbol.


That's been fixed now as well.

Alright, I think (think) that's everything, but my sense of realism is telling me otherwise. If you guys happen to notice any more new bugs, please let me know!

But as far as squashed bugs go, I think I've done in a number of them by removing the dependency on NMIFix. I did this partially because it was apparently causing incompatibilities with virtually every patch that hijacked NMI, and partially because I seem to not need it anymore. I don't know what changed between then and now, but...

I've also added two more not-really-useful commands. The first is $F4 $07, which will undo the tempo hike caused by the timer going below 100 seconds (use in songs like the death theme, the game over theme, the course clear theme, etc.). The second is $FA $04 $YY. It's echo-related and inserted into all songs automatically. You should never need to insert it normally, but if you're curious its purpose is explained in the readme. Consequently, any delays associated with the echo command should now be null.
I should get a new layout.

Probably won't, though.
Another fix but it's for the Wait Replace patch, change this code:

Code
org $8075
	JML MainLabel


For this one:

Code
org $F9F5
	JML MainLabel
	NOP
	NOP


You can use this fix after using the Wait Replace patch but it won't fix the crash issue if you've already used the AddmusicK but it's everything okay now.

Edit: Changing this:

Code
	JML $80806B		; Return.


For this one:

Code
	JML $80806C		; Return.


Is a better idea since it worked for me...
Looks like the TwinBee Yahoo - Flight stage 1 song doesn't work. I get this:
There's a bug in Layer 3 ExGFX that I overlook and it could cause strange behavior of OW graphics when AddmusicK is used after patching the ExGFX Layer 3 patch.

In Tweakes.asm, find and delete this piece of code:

Code
org $00A0B3				; Don't upload music bank 1
	BRA + : NOP : +	


After you did that, re-insert the Layer 3 patch and re-insert the musics with AddmusicK and you're ready to go.

Edit: Fixed typo.
I just hope AddmusicK and the Layer 3 ExGFX will co-exist together, without removing what DiscoMan suggested, as it screw uo whatever uses music bank 1. Also, it's tweaks.asm, not Tweaker.asm.
No, looks like I explained bad, the patch CAN co-exist with AddmusicK if you delete that line, reinsert the patch and the musics, otherwise you don't need to modify tweaks.asm, the Layer 3 ExGFX patch jumps to the Bank 1 routine but my modified version deleted that line:

Code
org $00A0B3
JSL Label1
NOP
NOP

[...]

Label1:
PHK
PER Return1-$01
PHB
LDA #$00
PHA
PLB
PEA $84CD
JML $008A79

Return1:


ReturnA:
LDY $0DB3


As you can see, my modified patch version doesn't uploads the Bank 1, thus making it compatible with AddmusicK, sorry if I didn't explained it better.

To summarize, if you're using (my modified version) of the Layer 3 ExGFX patch, COMMENT or DELETE that line, otherwise don't worry about tweaks.asm
Link Thread Closed