Banner
Views: 931,567,502
Time:
21 users online: ASSATAKKU,  BeeKaay, CarloSB, chickaDEE Magazine, ChompBro, Chondontore, containercore, Darkanine, FedoraFriday, GangsterJerby,  icrawfish, Infinity, Isikoro, LadiesMan217, lRichieBiersack, MiracleWater, NewPointless, Odyssey K., Thodds, twicepipes, VecchiaZim - Guests: 72 - Bots: 206 Users: 52,010 (2,081 active)
Latest: Sewawa
Tip: Test your levels as all forms of Mario that can access it (such as different powerups in your hack, or Yoshi).
Not logged in.
Dark Side of the Kingdom .update new intro!
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Dark Side of the Kingdom .update new intro!
Pages: « 1 2 3 411 12 » Link
Originally posted by Blind Devil
Originally posted by DarkBones
If Bowser isn't involved in the story whatsoever after the intro, why have him in the game at all? I really see no point unless there's some plot point I don't know about. I'm just saying its a bit misleading to people playing, as they might think the hack is about Bowser (I know I did...).


Yes, I get the point, and I agree with you. But what if I say that Bowser won't appear just in the first cutscene?

In the final level, there will be a Battle against him before Wario enters the real boss room, which is Mario/Evil Spirit. All the plans for his appearance were already made. I'll post the ideas we had while planning this project further later. I am almost sure you'll enjoy it. For now, it's a surprise.


Okay, well if he will be a major plot point, I think it would work well, especially if used for comedic relief.

Originally posted by Blind Devil
And regarding elements from original Wario games, there might have some, but they're hardly necessary. Powerups? I think we'll not have custom ones. We'll stick with the default ones, at least for now.

Once we thought on adding an SMG element to the hack, precisely the Bee Suit, but coding it would be a tiresome task. I still think on incorporating a Metal Cap from SM64(DS), which makes the player able to break some hard bricks that a regular big player cannot. Not making any promises, though.

On another random note, I've never played Wario Land. Tragic.


Well, if I actually could get the time to sit down and start coding in SNES ASM instead of Java for a while, I could probably get you some powerups done. Also, yes that is tragic. For some reason, people seem to ignore the Gameboy's games, particularly Super Mario Land and Wario Land. If you do want to see how Wario's games play, I suggest Wario Land 1 or 4.

--------------------
Eh, sure. Why not? Kaizo hacking doesn't seem too ha-aaaaaaand I broke the ROM.
Blind Devil, Ilike your peach castle it will be very good for world1
or maybe the boss castle for world 1.(just an idea #ab{¬_¬}) Also my
level do need to be work on more
Originally posted by DarkBones

If Bowser isn't involved in the story whatsoever after the intro, why have him in the game at all? I really see no point unless there's some plot point I don't know about. I'm just saying its a bit misleading to people playing, as they might think the hack is about Bowser (I know I did...).


Well the hack main character was going to be bowser,but we change it to Wario

Oh Hell No, it seems like you will be doing the Mushroom Kingdom ok I
can't wait to see your work.#ab{;)}

Back to you ,Blind Devil, yes about that video you showed it but maybe you can add more fishes and underwater eneimes to make
it feel alive. If this is going to be a under water level maybe
we can change the fishes to big bees larvea.
@Theonesuperx: Yep, your level needs just a little polishing, nothing like drastical changes. If you want, you can (and would be nice) if you updated and linked another IPS of it. But I intend to playtest your first version tonight, just to make sure of some things I've pointed out, and then I may make some modifications for comparisons.

Originally posted by Theonesuperx
Ilike your peach castle it will be very good for world1 or maybe the boss castle for world 1


As the World 1 Castle it wouldn't work, I think. It would look somewhat out of place. Peach's Castle is mostly an add-on to the submap environment, and I guess it'll be placed somewhere close to Level 1 tile.

Oh, as for my screenies/video, actually, they don't show the level itself. I did it mainly to show off the palettes and drawings I did, also as experiments. I am still planning on creating a level from scratch, using the stuff which was shown.

And regarding drawing custom fishes, I've thought about this possibility. I'm intending to draw something like a Porcu-Puffer with a bee-like visual, and make a custom sprite based on the Yoshi's Island Big (32x32) Boo. The Custom Bee Puffer would chase the player throughout the level, but I still don't know if it'll be a good idea, as the level would turn out to be very difficult. As for the Cheep-Cheeps themselves, I shall keep their GFX intact.

--------------------
MK2TDS
Originally posted by Blind Devil
The Custom Bee Puffer would chase the player throughout the level, but I still don't know if it'll be a good idea, as the level would turn out to be very difficult.


Hmm.A bee puffer that would chase the player throughout the level.I have some ideas. maybe we can make it when the player have to sneak around it.if he is spotted by the bee puffer the bee puffer will began to chase him.Or we can make it a mini boss or use the blue pick
up block to kill.these are just my idea.
Originally posted by Theonesuperx
Originally posted by Blind Devil
The Custom Bee Puffer would chase the player throughout the level, but I still don't know if it'll be a good idea, as the level would turn out to be very difficult.


Hmm.A bee puffer that would chase the player throughout the level.I have some ideas. maybe we can make it when the player have to sneak around it.if he is spotted by the bee puffer the bee puffer will began to chase him.Or we can make it a mini boss or use the blue pick
up block to kill.these are just my idea.


I don't know how exactly Mario/Wario would sneak around it, unless you do something like Rip Van Fish, where it will sleep until Mario gets too close or a Whistlin' Chuck whistles. I still would say that a miniboss is probably the better option however...

--------------------
Eh, sure. Why not? Kaizo hacking doesn't seem too ha-aaaaaaand I broke the ROM.
Agreed with both opinions. Having the Bee-Porcu-Puffer as a boss is the best choice.

If Theonesuperx agrees on using Iceguy's Noob Boss for that (and I know he hates the Noob Boss for being overused, but what can I do without great ASM experience?), the Bee-Porcu-Puffer could be used in Honey Fortress or Honey Castle level as the main boss. I don't see many hacks with a boss underwater... the only one I can recall now is a monkey boss in Bonni's Quest.

Let me know, and I'll make a Noob Boss variation, as well as draw the fish's frames.

The boss would be, indeed, noobish. Would just follow Wario in the room, but after a few hits would become angry, faster, and could "spit" stings at the player.

EDIT: Maybe stings could be used to paralyze Wario?

--------------------
MK2TDS
Yes,ok I am going with Bee-Porcu-Puffer as the mini boss in Honey Fortress .
Edit:heres a better versons of my mushroom kingdoom level.
Here
New intro I wrote up. It places some more focus on Wario and gives him a lovable Muncher sidekick. Enjoy!

Originally posted by My Intro
Intro:

[we open in pitch black]

???: Don't you understand? Come with me. We will be better together.

[it switches to Wario's Castle. He comfortably sits in a recliner, with a tattered purple robe on him. His chest hair sticks out in every direction. A red muncher is sitting next to him, a bandage over it's right lip]

Wario: Ah, a full month just to relax. We barely ever get a chance like this, eh, Alcy?

Alcy [the muncher]: Totally! I can just sit back on my stem and munch to my hearts content.

Wario: Up for table tennis?

Alcy: You know it!

[scene cut to a fully clothed Wario and Alcy about to play table tennis.]

KNOCK!

Wario: Who is that?

[A IRS Toad appears]

IRS Guy: Billionare Wario... uh, I can't read your last name.

Wario: *grumble* *grumble* It's...

IRS Guy: Yeah yeah, I'm collecting your Taxes for the Mushroom Kingdom. Gotta keep the defense up!

Wario (thinking): And yet Bowser always gets Peach...

[reaches inside his grubby pocket] Wario: This should be enough.

IRS Guy: Actually, your taxes have gone through the roof. 10 billion coins.

Wario: WHAT?!?!? What kind of country is Peach running?

IRS Guy: Well, if you don't have the funds, I'll let you slide til next month. But I'll be back...

[IRS guy leaves]

Alcy: If only Mario still had his gold suit.

Wario: Mario... let's go see what's available in the Mushroom Kingdom! Peach obviously has a hoard of taxes.

Alcy: YAY! It's adventure time!

[meanwhile at Bowser's castle]

Bowser: It’s so booooring being cooped up in this fortress all day. There has got to be something to do.

Koopa Troopa: We could play a board game. I’ve wanted to play Candy Land for ages. Let me get it out--

Bowser: No, no. Anything but that. I hate that game. I want to do something fun and exciting.

Koopa Troopa: You could always wreck havoc on the Mushroom Kingdom and steal away the Princess again like you’ve done a million times before.

Bowser: That never does get old, does it? Sure, why not? At least it will get me up and out of this place. Koopa, pack your bags. We are heading to the Mushroom Kingdom.

[outside Peach's Castle]

Wario: What? She's missing?

Toad: Yep. Mario took her.

Alcy: Crap, I was totally going to st...take a walk around the castle...

Wario: Shut up Alcy. Toad-person, did you say MARIO?

Toad: Yep. We're offering a reward for anyone that saves her.

[Bowser knocks Wario out]

Bowser: Great! I'll just walk over and get it.

Toad: Yep. Wait, BOWSER? AHGHHHH!

Bowser: Oh yeah. BRAARRRARR WHERE'S THE PRINCess oh wait. She's in another castle...

[Wario gets up]

Bowser: ...that's not mine. Well, Koopa, we're going to kill Mario! Yay!

[Wario knocks out Bowser]

Wario: Haha no. The rewards mine, Bowser, and I solemnly swear to save the sovereignty. C'mon, Alcy!

[Bowser wakes up]

Koopa: Candy Land will make you feel better! Did I tell you I've wanted to play it for ages?

Bowser: Yeah. Yeah. Let's go play...


I'll go ahead and play the 1st level. It looks decent from the screenies, so it's most likely better now.
Originally posted by Egadd
New intro I wrote up. It places some more focus on Wario and gives him a lovable Muncher sidekick. Enjoy!

Originally posted by My Intro
Intro:

[we open in pitch black]

???: Don't you understand? Come with me. We will be better together.

[it switches to Wario's Castle. He comfortably sits in a recliner, with a tattered purple robe on him. His chest hair sticks out in every direction. A red muncher is sitting next to him, a bandage over it's right lip]

Wario: Ah, a full month just to relax. We barely ever get a chance like this, eh, Alcy?

Alcy [the muncher]: Totally! I can just sit back on my stem and munch to my hearts content.

Wario: Up for table tennis?

Alcy: You know it!

[scene cut to a fully clothed Wario and Alcy about to play table tennis.]

KNOCK!

Wario: Who is that?

[A IRS Toad appears]

IRS Guy: Billionare Wario... uh, I can't read your last name.

Wario: *grumble* *grumble* It's...

IRS Guy: Yeah yeah, I'm collecting your Taxes for the Mushroom Kingdom. Gotta keep the defense up!

Wario (thinking): And yet Bowser always gets Peach...

[reaches inside his grubby pocket] Wario: This should be enough.

IRS Guy: Actually, your taxes have gone through the roof. 10 billion coins.

Wario: WHAT?!?!? What kind of country is Peach running?

IRS Guy: Well, if you don't have the funds, I'll let you slide til next month. But I'll be back...

[IRS guy leaves]

Alcy: If only Mario still had his gold suit.

Wario: Mario... let's go see what's available in the Mushroom Kingdom! Peach obviously has a hoard of taxes.

Alcy: YAY! It's adventure time!

[meanwhile at Bowser's castle]

Bowser: It’s so booooring being cooped up in this fortress all day. There has got to be something to do.

Koopa Troopa: We could play a board game. I’ve wanted to play Candy Land for ages. Let me get it out--

Bowser: No, no. Anything but that. I hate that game. I want to do something fun and exciting.

Koopa Troopa: You could always wreck havoc on the Mushroom Kingdom and steal away the Princess again like you’ve done a million times before.

Bowser: That never does get old, does it? Sure, why not? At least it will get me up and out of this place. Koopa, pack your bags. We are heading to the Mushroom Kingdom.

[outside Peach's Castle]

Wario: What? She's missing?

Toad: Yep. Mario took her.

Alcy: Crap, I was totally going to st...take a walk around the castle...

Wario: Shut up Alcy. Toad-person, did you say MARIO?

Toad: Yep. We're offering a reward for anyone that saves her.

[Bowser knocks Wario out]

Bowser: Great! I'll just walk over and get it.

Toad: Yep. Wait, BOWSER? AHGHHHH!

Bowser: Oh yeah. BRAARRRARR WHERE'S THE PRINCess oh wait. She's in another castle...

[Wario gets up]

Bowser: ...that's not mine. Well, Koopa, we're going to kill Mario! Yay!

[Wario knocks out Bowser]

Wario: Haha no. The rewards mine, Bowser, and I solemnly swear to save the sovereignty. C'mon, Alcy!

[Bowser wakes up]

Koopa: Candy Land will make you feel better! Did I tell you I've wanted to play it for ages?

Bowser: Yeah. Yeah. Let's go play...


I'll go ahead and play the 1st level. It looks decent from the screenies, so it's most likely better now.


Much nicer, but I think it moves a bit too fast after it cuts to Bowser. I think from that point on its should be relatively close to the original plot (but obviously put Alcy into the plot...). Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the name Alcy anyway?

--------------------
Eh, sure. Why not? Kaizo hacking doesn't seem too ha-aaaaaaand I broke the ROM.
Egadd,I like the story changes you made,I also like the way you hide the fact that mario have a evil .But I have two questions to ask who was the person talking at the beginning.how did wario meet Alcy

Edit: I also like Alcy he would be very original to the game.
Originally posted by DarkBones
Much nicer, but I think it moves a bit too fast after it cuts to Bowser. I think from that point on its should be relatively close to the original plot (but obviously put Alcy into the plot...). Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the name Alcy anyway?


I'll add some more information, probably some banter with Toad, into it when I get home. For the name, think of a certain mod...

Originally posted by Theonesuperx
Egadd,I like the story changes you made,I also like the way you hide the fact that mario have a evil .But I have two questions to ask who was the person talking at the beginning.how did wario meet Alcy

Edit: I also like Alcy he would be very original to the game.


The person at the beginning was
Mario
. That voice will appear at the beginning of every cutscene to expand the plot. How Wario met Alcy will be expanded on later. But thx to both of you!
@Egadd: Awesome storyline! Wario was very well emphasized there, and the plot is fun. I support, too.

I would complain about the cutscene's huge size, but then I recall of various other RPG games that include enormous cutscenes, too, and not only at the intro (plus the fact some can't even be skipped).

And the ??? thing is clever, too.

And whoa, you seem to be psychic, because I don't remember if I sent you the ideas I had for the final level with Bowser. Nevertheless, it does awesomely fit with it, which is great!

Plus, the Evil Spirit thing will be more surprisingly when it turns out to be discovered later in the game.

@Theonesuperx: I had a load of fun playing through Theonesuperx's level. It's really awesome for a 1-1. Played both versions, and honestly, I prefered the first one.

During the playtest, I've noticed some other little issues that I had overlooked in the video.

In the first version, some bushes' priority didn't go well with walkthrough ledges; the slanted pipe wasn't blocked (you could walk through it from right to left); there was a pipe that also didn't get well with walkthrough ledges because of its ending tiles...

The updated version had issues like cutoff (there's just one cutoff tile but eh), some weird walkthrough ledges placement, a very easy to get flying 1up (that bothered me because there's the fact we'll be using Yoshi Coins, and your level already has a big amount of regular coins, so 1ups are more omnipresent than ever), not to mention the same issues of the previous version (aside from the Midway Point that was fixed).

Could not provide images/videos for comparison, so I'm just linking the new Base ROM with the provisory edited version made by me. Theonesuperx, feel free to disagree with whatever you find out disgusting.

------------------------------

And, as planned and already mentioned, new Base ROM. I've inserted Peach's Castle GFX into it, completely got rid of level tile placeholders, edited the 'MARIO' in status bar, applied the Classic Piranha Plant Fix and 1-player only patches. Ah, I've inserted the provisory edited version of Level 001, too. And ah, due to changing the Item Box color to green, Layer 3 tides are green. Dumb me - I guess I'll change it back next time.

EDIT (I've been doing that so much lately):

@Theonesuperx: I guess it would be nice if you quoted the new story intro in the first post

EDIT2: Edit your first post a little better - delete the first version of the Intro and replace it with the new. Don't keep both. People will get confused.

--------------------
MK2TDS
Nice progress guys :D

I have made a scetch for the 1st submap today, comments?



*Peach's Castle.

I have one important question: Will there be a level (well... small level like ASMWCP) inside Peach's Castle?
@Oh Hell No: Whoa! My eyes are sparkling--- oh wait, I'm blind.

No, really, that looks awesome. Can't wait to see this being implemented to the hack.

As for a level (tile) in Peach's Castle (as a Hub), there won't be any. The graphics are intended to be just a spice up for decoration. It wouldn't look like Mushroom Kingdom without Peach's Castle there... Nevertheless I've been thinking on the possibility that Level 001 could have Peach's Castle somewhere in the background, or at least something that could reassemble the Castle Courtyard at the first screens. We'll see.

As for me, for now I've got ideas and ideas.

> Look at the gradient at the bottom of the following screenie.



While I don't encourage using HDMA gradients/effects in the hack, I think that something like this could be implemented in all levels. Super Mario Advance 2 has something like that, too, but it applies only for the background. And in this case, I'd like something like the latter. Couldn't find a good screenie from SMA2 and that's why I've posted a KSS one.

Also reposting that:

Originally posted by Blind Devil
random title ideas for the hack:

-A Hero Just for Money
-Wario - A Mercenary Buddy
-Inverted Sides
-Evil Wicked Mario


Any different ideas/suggestions?

--------------------
MK2TDS
Originally posted by Blind Devil
@Oh Hell No: Whoa! My eyes are sparkling--- oh wait, I'm blind.

No, really, that looks awesome. Can't wait to see this being implemented to the hack.

As for a level (tile) in Peach's Castle (as a Hub), there won't be any. The graphics are intended to be just a spice up for decoration. It wouldn't look like Mushroom Kingdom without Peach's Castle there... Nevertheless I've been thinking on the possibility that Level 001 could have Peach's Castle somewhere in the background, or at least something that could reassemble the Castle Courtyard at the first screens. We'll see.


Thanks a lot, maybe I have to squeeze or stretch the submap a bit, but the idea is clear.
Hmm... I'll slightly change the path to Peach's Castle when there isn't a level (sort of) there. I hope to post progress here tomorrow morning.

Originally posted by Blind Devil

As for me, for now I've got ideas and ideas.

> Look at the gradient at the bottom of the following screenie


Yea, that would be a great idea, I completely support it.

Originally posted by Blind Devil
random title ideas for the hack:

-A Hero Just for Money
-Wario - A Mercenary Buddy
-Inverted Sides
-Evil Wicked Mario


Any different ideas/suggestions?</div></div>

I like Inverted Sides the most and sorry, no suggestions.
dasy[/img] Heres the cheep-cheep River world map
tell me what do I need to add to make this submap look better.


quote=Blind Devil] random title ideas for the hack:

-A Hero Just for Money
-Wario - A Mercenary Buddy
-Inverted Sides
-Evil Wicked Mario </div></div>

Hmm hard to choose here are some titles I came up with

-Wario on his Golden Adventure

- Wario in The Mushroom Kingdom

- Wario and Alcy : The Adventure for GOLD!!

Ok since peach castle is not going to be a level I tought of something
for Dasiy Kingdom maybe we can make Dasiy castle a level for the real
final of the hack.
since Wario gold is in Dasiy's Kingdom we can sort of make world 8 the real final world
It is just an idea Btw Dasiy is a mario Character
dasy

Edit also the frist level edits you made are good.I would say the first level is almost done
Originally posted by Theonesuperx

That has so many issues, I don't think you can't fix them.
1) There is cutoff on that latter.
2) LOTS of perspective errors.
3) I don't like the fact that the level tiles are showing even if you didn't reveal them. (nitpick)
4) This is a minor issue but the land and the water are too close together.

I do highly suggest starting over.
(Sorry, rough school day)

--------------------
Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading "resources" in exchange. 4 more left.




Originally posted by Blind Devil
random title ideas for the hack:

-A Hero Just for Money
-Wario - A Mercenary Buddy
-Inverted Sides
-Evil Wicked Mario


Any different ideas/suggestions?


How about: Wario and His Lovable Muncher Friend Go To Save the Princess From Peril for a Large Sum of Money Coveted by the Evil Bowser?

Real titles:
Possession: Gold and a Body (optional subtitle, refers to the possession of Mario's body and Wario's gold)
Wario Pays His Taxes
Wario and the Infinite Sadness Reward
Alcy: Can't I Be the Hero?
Dark Side of the Kingdom


Not the best, but meh. Not really into your titles, but this is a hard hack to title.

Tosx, the level is just fine, I really like it! Your OW, however, needs work. ESPECIALLY CHANGE THE PALETTE! It's so cold, brr. And try to make it a little less flat. Also, what Daizo said.

OHN, looks good, I can't really judge it though, I can't really see it! But put it into the game and see how it comes out! I think it will be fine.

Blind Devil, I'll edit my scene a little and put into code for you.
Originally posted by Egadd
Dark Side of the Kingdom

I actually kind of like that name.

My suggestions:
-W A R I O
-The Adventures of Wario (1)
-The Ghost of Evil (Mario is controlled by a ghost, right?)
-Wario's Rich and Wicked Adventure
-Another hack with WARIO! Yay.
-Wario vs Mario
-The Brutality of Mario

Random names.

--------------------
Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading "resources" in exchange. 4 more left.




Well, depending on whether the hack is supposed to have a lighthearted and humorous feel (well, you know, despite the fact that it involves possession by an evil spirit as one of its major plot points), I think Wario Pays His Taxes is a fitting name. I also like "Another Hack with Wario! Yay." As it gives a sort of ""Oh great, a n00b hack, welp, might as well check it out", only for the players to get a pleasant surprise" vibe.

--------------------
Eh, sure. Why not? Kaizo hacking doesn't seem too ha-aaaaaaand I broke the ROM.
Pages: « 1 2 3 411 12 » Link
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Dark Side of the Kingdom .update new intro!

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2021 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks