Last year the contest I held went pretty good so I thought I’d give it another go.
Submission period is now over judging period has started.
If you want to play any of the submitted levels you can find all 12 in this Zip file
I’ve changed a few of the rules from last year see them below in orange.
Please read ALL
of these rules carefully quite a few were broken last year.
• length can be only 15 (0F in Hex) screens max (keep in mind screens start at 00 in LM)
• Can use multiple lunar magic levels if desired but total screen amount must be 15 (0F in hex) or lower.
• intro screen, title screen, and cutscenes
do not count toward the screen amount. Note however that they will not be judged.
• Can use as many ExGFX files as you see fit.
Last year I restricted the amount of files for tiles to four but no more!
• Only permitted to use 1 FG map 16 page and 1 BG map 16 page, however you can use whatever is there by default in the 1st two map 16 pages (vine tile, lava, turn block etc).
• Ghost house/castle/no Yoshi Intros do NOT count towards the screen limit.
• Feel free to add a credits level/ending just make sure it is a separate level on the overworld. (Note that it won’t be judged)
• Please name your level and put the name in the same post as your submission
• Please ensure your level is satisfactory prior to submitting it, you will not be permitted to update your level after the deadline.
• Can be vanilla or chocolate. (I will not favor one over the other!)
• Please do not submit old levels created prior to the start of this contest
• Can use any version of Lunar Magic
• Entries MUST be in IPS form and submitted using the file bin (or other method for instant
• Post a link to your ips patch in this topic, if you decide to update make a NEW
• Leave your level unlocked
in lunar magic
How a level will be judged
Level Design -/10
How interesting or unique was the level? Was it original or something we’ve all seen before. If custom sprites were used how well did they fit the level? If Vanilla did the person make good use of original resources?
How did the level look? Did it have an ugly palette, has the palette been used a 100 times before? Is there any graphical or color clash?
Difficulty & Funfactor -/10
Is the level actually enjoyable or does it just annoy or stress the player out? Is it super easy to beat or borderline impossible?
Does everything work like it’s supposed to? Are there sprite limitations, or does slowdown occur?
Maximum points possible 40
Besides a little image of a trophy for the top three level designers I will give out a $10 Amazon gift card
for the winner of the contest.
I’ll up the amount to $15
if I get a least 20 Quality
Winner will be paid by two
$5 Amazon.com Gift Cards (via 2 codes). Unfortunately I can’t get Amazon.ca or any other type of Amazon gift card. You’re welcome to give your 2 gift card codes to a friend but you will have to send them the codes yourself as I will only send the codes to you
After the contest has ended and the winner is declared you must claim your prize
simply by responding to a PM by me. I will then send you the two codes and you can do whatever you like with them. You have 30 days
after results are announced to claim your prize before I declare you uninterested and you forfeit the cash prize. Unclaimed money will go towards funding next year’s contest.
I will judge in this contest and would like 1-3 people to help if they can. If anyone is willing to judge for this contest please PM me. Please only contact me if you are seriously
interested in judging and keep in mind that judging will not start until the end of the year (December 31st). I will ask judges to not judge entries as they are submitted in case the contestant decides to update later on.
I believe that covers everything if there are any questions feel free to ask. Good luck everyone!