Banner
The Overworld Design Contest ends in
8 DAYS, 22 HOURS, 31 MINUTES AND 45 SECONDS
Views: 905,045,780
Time:
18 users online: AppleBoy54321,  brickblock369, DasFueller, Ezel, Far, gui, HD_DankBaron, Kazefbr, le4che, lx5, MirrorReflect, obersteiner86, qantuum, quietmason, TheBiob, UTF, Wolfguy423, YMM - Guests: 99 - Bots: 107 Users: 50,742 (2,086 active)
Latest: Nova G
Tip: If you want to remove patches from your ROM, it is best to either use the restore function, or port everything to a clean ROM.
Not logged in.
One-level hack? -- Dry-Wet Cavern
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - One-level hack? -- Dry-Wet Cavern
Pages: « 1 » Link
Hello! I've been working on a level called "Dry-Wet Cavern" for a few weeks, and think it's almost finished. Obviously I named it after Wet-Dry World in SM64, and it has a skin-deep similarity, but I think overall it's pretty original.

I was trying to make a SMW level that is a little more non-linear than most, and I think I achieved that. It's 95% vanilla, but there are some custom graphics and one slightly altered sprite from the original game. I hope it's not too easy or too difficult.

Screenshots:














Download: Dry-Wet Cavern

Can you get the secret exit?
Can you get all 5 Yoshi coins and beat the level in one run?

Please let me know what you like, and what you think I should improve on! I'm considering making a full-length hack, which will probably include this level, but it depends on the feedback I get here.

Thank you for trying my level!
All in all its a very nice level so far (especially if its your first...), but it still needs some work. Some of the enemy placement is a bit cheap, particularly the green koopas. The spikes near that one Yoshi coin are really hard not to hit, I would up just taking the hit and catching my other mushroom. Some of the fish can fall down on you when you don't have the water on, which gets a bit annoying. The background looks a bit weird, try editing it to make it tile better. Also, when you touch the spikes, sometimes Mario's graphics will glitch up (this, however, is not your fault, but a problem with SMW's engine, I think there's a patch to fix this, but I'm not sure.)

So yeah, its pretty nice, and needs a bit of work. Though I do think it was creative to use the exits like that, I've never thought to use two pipes to toggle water on and off before...

--------------------
Eh, sure. Why not? Kaizo hacking doesn't seem too ha-aaaaaaand I broke the ROM.
Nothing wrong with posting it here, but be forewarned that they generally don't accept one-level hacks onto the site unless they're extremely long.

====



Also, the upside down spike platforms are cutoff.

The background cutoff's already been mentioned. Try copying the background and/or level mode from Vanilla Secret 1.

--------------------
This is my signature and stuff.
Originally posted by DarkBones
All in all its a very nice level so far (especially if its your first...), but it still needs some work. Some of the enemy placement is a bit cheap, particularly the green koopas. The spikes near that one Yoshi coin are really hard not to hit, I would up just taking the hit and catching my other mushroom. Some of the fish can fall down on you when you don't have the water on, which gets a bit annoying. The background looks a bit weird, try editing it to make it tile better. Also, when you touch the spikes, sometimes Mario's graphics will glitch up (this, however, is not your fault, but a problem with SMW's engine, I think there's a patch to fix this, but I'm not sure.)

So yeah, its pretty nice, and needs a bit of work. Though I do think it was creative to use the exits like that, I've never thought to use two pipes to toggle water on and off before...


Thanks for the feedback!

The green koopas you're talking about, they're the two at the top of the first vine-climbing segment that just walk off the edge instead of bouncing? Yeah maybe that was a little cheap. I wanted to make the vine-climb a little more eventful, but I think it backfired.

I didn't really mind the placement of the Yoshi coin you mentioned. It gives you the choice of trying to swim through without getting hit (if you get the motion down, it's not too hard) or sacrificing a mushroom.

You thought the cheep-cheeps were annoying when they fell on your head? I thought it was funny. And it's not really something that can be prevented altogether, if you just happen to be below the fish when it spawns. (Although there are two jumps where the fish is placed over the gap...)

As for the background, I thought I fixed that problem a while back, I didn't even notice that it's screwed up in my screenshots!

I haven't noticed anything about Mario's graphics when he hits the spikes, what exactly happens?

Actually, when you mentioned the spikes, I was surprised you didn't complain that you can still get hurt by touching them from the side. I think I might make a custom block to fix that.


Anyway, thanks again for the input. I'm glad you liked the water gimmick, I was just messing around with LM and noticed you can activate/deactivate water on a per-entrance basis.

Originally posted by TenPoundHammer
Also, the upside down spike platforms are cutoff.

The background cutoff's already been mentioned. Try copying the background and/or level mode from Vanilla Secret 1.


Thanks for playing!

At one point I had some custom map16 tiles with edges on top and bottom, but I'm not sure if I like it better:



Thanks for the BG tip! This is already vanilla secret 1's BG and level mode, so I'm going to have to offset the tiles.
Minus the bad looping background, this looks like an excellent level so far.
Vertical levels don't get enough love.
I don't see tenpound's complaint. That "cutoff" looks fine to me. I doubt something like that would trigger a mod's concern.
Originally posted by Hielus
Minus the bad looping background, this looks like an excellent level so far.
Vertical levels don't get enough love.


Thank you, and I completely agree about vertical levels.

Originally posted by Maxx
I don't see tenpound's complaint. That "cutoff" looks fine to me. I doubt something like that would trigger a mod's concern.

Thanks. I would rather have the cutoff than the spikes hanging past the edge of the platform.

Does anyone have any comments about the two ways to play the level? Was swimming through the level much easier than walking/jumping? Did you do the first half on foot, and the second half in water or vice versa?

DarkBones: What exactly happens when you touch the spikes? I've been playing this level over and over for weeks and I haven't noticed anything.
Pages: « 1 » Link
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - One-level hack? -- Dry-Wet Cavern

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2021 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks