Banner
Views: 992,860,152
Time:
10 users online: BunkerGames82, cardboardknoxmonkey, DashGamer, Miscalc, PhantasyReal, Revenge319, slopcore, SomeGuy712x, The_Uber_Camper, UTF - Guests: 57 - Bots: 105 Users: 54,455 (2,086 active)
Latest: vampirelich
Tip: A power-up is most useful to a player shortly after the midway point.
Not logged in.
Killjoys in SMW Hacks?
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - SMW Hacking Discussion - Killjoys in SMW Hacks?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 » Link
Time to wsate the 900th post, though I'm not active.

This is an old hack, and I hope the title of this is correct:

But a few things in - SMW2: The Essence Star. (If the author is still alive, don't get buthurt about this, as this is simply what I've experienced from this old game xD)

- GoldenYoshi. DAFUQ? He turns out to be some dude. Some human. Uninteristing character.

- the final boss. All of the story, the levels, the game play lead up to finally taking down the villian. I know sprites or whatever they're called these days, were limited back then: still, rather disappointed in the chosen sprites for this boss.
The ground pound koopa and some other wierd sprite. It was the biggest letdown and this hack dropped from being my favorite to being on the hated list xD.

But that was a kill joy for me.
Originally posted by Yoshiro
If the author is still alive


Yeah I'm still around.

Anyway looking back, there were some unideal design choices in that hack. Shouldn't have made Perry such an insignificant character throughout most of the hack and then suddenly at the end he was one of the most important ones. I felt Roth could've used more backstory and actual motivation for his actions.

As for the final boss, I wanted to make it more interesting, had a few ideas but they were really tough for me to implement them with a limited amount of resources. Plus I admit I rushed the final boss because I was too anxious to get the hack out, thus it turned out sub-par.

I find it difficult to make a quality "full-length" hack, so nowadays I find it easier to make shorter ones.
Originally posted by Golden Yoshi
Originally posted by Yoshiro
If the author is still alive


Yeah I'm still around.

Anyway looking back, there were some unideal design choices in that hack. Shouldn't have made Perry such an insignificant character throughout most of the hack and then suddenly at the end he was one of the most important ones. I felt Roth could've used more backstory and actual motivation for his actions.

As for the final boss, I wanted to make it more interesting, had a few ideas but they were really tough for me to implement them with a limited amount of resources. Plus I admit I rushed the final boss because I was too anxious to get the hack out, thus it turned out sub-par.

I find it difficult to make a quality "full-length" hack, so nowadays I find it easier to make shorter ones.


Good to see one of our Veterans still around. But yeah, back then there were a limited amount of resources. When I look today, I'm like o_o. Smw hacking is continuing to "evolve" even after I retired.
If an enemy that I need to spinjump on to avoid is placed ON THE TOP OF A ****ING SLOPE. That enemy is usually a Pokey so it's really slow and tedious getting it to the bottom, and to add insult to injury, it's usually a tall one as well.

And if someone doesn't have ideas for a boss, they use a Mouser reskin WITHOUT EXCEPTION in the hacks I play.

--------------------
Usually inactive/procrastinating on a hack idea.
Hard levels, A great example of this is in VIPPER's VIP 5.
Originally posted by GloriousWater
If an enemy that I need to spinjump on to avoid is placed ON THE TOP OF A ****ING SLOPE. That enemy is usually a Pokey so it's really slow and tedious getting it to the bottom, and to add insult to injury, it's usually a tall one as well.

And if someone doesn't have ideas for a boss, they use a Mouser reskin WITHOUT EXCEPTION in the hacks I play.

This.

The worst part is that when the creator is making the level, he/she might not consider the fact that jumping on an enemy while going upslope is tricky, especially when it is a tall enemy. It looks easy when you look at it in Lunar Magic, but when you play it in action, you realize it is annoying.

Which brings me to the next killjoy: When people assume their level will work out because it looks so in Lunar Magic. Many times, something might look good in Lunar Magic, but it won't work out in actual gameplay.

--------------------
don't click this link...
Originally posted by GloriousWater
That enemy is usually a Pokey so it's really slow and tedious getting it to the bottom, and to add insult to injury, it's usually a tall one as well.

you can just slide uphill to kill it
i hate ghost house levels (like Purple rex mentioned), i also hate any levels that have puzzles in them. it's just tedious.

--------------------
Currently: Starting college!
Originally posted by mario and luigi
i hate ghost house levels (like Purple rex mentioned), i also hate any levels that have puzzles in them. it's just tedious.

I don't really mind puzzles if they are optional (for example, a secret exit). However, I don't like it when an overly complicated puzzle is required in order to progress. I would understand if the hack was a puzzle hack, but when placed in a normal platforming game, it just doesn't fit. Now I am quite fine if the puzzle is required but not overly complicated. However, some people tend to overly complicate puzzles by adding so many things in them. For example, I am like "do do do do...okay, so I finally got this springboard here with the pswitch in my hand, and I can finally get here...wait, I need a gray pswitch too? FUUUUU..."

--------------------
don't click this link...
Originally posted by mathelete
I don't really mind puzzles if they are optional (for example, a secret exit). However, I don't like it when an overly complicated puzzle is required in order to progress. I would understand if the hack was a puzzle hack, but when placed in a normal platforming game, it just doesn't fit. Now I am quite fine if the puzzle is required but not overly complicated. However, some people tend to overly complicate puzzles by adding so many things in them. For example, I am like "do do do do...okay, so I finally got this springboard here with the pswitch in my hand, and I can finally get here...wait, I need a gray pswitch too? FUUUUU..."


to be frankly honest, i utilize secret exits as a separate path instead of it being hidden sometimes. like i sometimes put a cliff on then invisible note blocks to reach the top of the cliff which lies the key and the keyhole.

about puzzles though, honestly, i'm not good solving or creating them.

--------------------
Currently: Starting college!
Many moderators say that lack of reset options is a killjoy. While in some instances, you must give the player a reset option, it is not required all the time. Here is my reaction to one of Counterfeit's removal logs:

There is nothing wrong with forcing the player to die if he does something stupid.

--------------------
don't click this link...
Munchers. I hate munchers so much. If I see one muncher in a hack, I like the hack a lot less. I also greatly dislike ghost houses that have a second exit when it is not apparent or there are no hints that there is one.

--------------------
Hey, I am a new face around here and I want to make a good first impression.

If you want a hack play tested or reviewed please send me a PM
Currently Reviewing: nothing
in my opinion, hacks that utilize custom music can be considered a killjoy as it feels un-mario no offense!

--------------------
Currently: Starting college!
Originally posted by infesting
Munchers. I hate munchers so much. If I see one muncher in a hack, I like the hack a lot less. I also greatly dislike ghost houses that have a second exit when it is not apparent or there are no hints that there is one.


Usually Im not one to question someone's opinion.....but munchers a killjoy really?
I could understand if it was muncher spam or floating munchers being the killjoy but I don't understand why munchers alone would be a killjoy unless you hate how they are used. (Can't actually recall many hacks that don't have them in some form.)

--------------------
My Youtube Channel for Hacking and Gaming.
ya... I don't know why, even when they are properly used I just don't like them. Even in the rare levels in the original SMW they use munchers I cringe whenever I see them. Couldn't explain it if I tried lol.

--------------------
Hey, I am a new face around here and I want to make a good first impression.

If you want a hack play tested or reviewed please send me a PM
Currently Reviewing: nothing
Originally posted by infesting
ya... I don't know why, even when they are properly used I just don't like them. Even in the rare levels in the original SMW they use munchers I cringe whenever I see them. Couldn't explain it if I tried lol.

What if their graphics were replaced? Would it still be a killjoy for you? When you say munchers, do you mean hurt-blocks in general?

--------------------
don't click this link...
Hurt blocks in general are pretty useful since you don't have to resort to instant death pits or enemies for all your obstacles.
Originally posted by infesting
ya... I don't know why, even when they are properly used I just don't like them. Even in the rare levels in the original SMW they use munchers I cringe whenever I see them. Couldn't explain it if I tried lol.

I feel pretty sorry for you if you cringe at something on a game like Mario... Especially Munchers. 90% of hacks are practically out of your question...

@Mathelete
The reasons on that removal log are so funny! They could simply solve the whole thing by...

1. Shortening the path. I must admit, having to also carry a spring board and USE it to get past a P-switch race is pretty stupid.

2. Put a load of used blocks in front so you CAN'T fall in the pit...

If the P-switch run is just a p-switch run, then it should just be taken out... Sprinting that would be annoying if it is just a big run through. It would simply be there to extend the level, only that...

Another good reason to remove it on that particular level is just the Background. It looks so much like Foreground, I actually forgot Mario was just hoping through it. FG's used to make Backgrounds are pretty poor and just ugly to look at when done like that... Plus, it is confusing.

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
Originally posted by mathelete
What if their graphics were replaced? Would it still be a killjoy for you? When you say munchers, do you mean hurt-blocks in general?


Actually if their graphics are replaced I don't mind them (or hurt blocks) at all, unless they are spammed. It is something about the graphics of the orginal munchers that I dislike. However, I still prefer moving enemies and complex obstacles over hurt blocks.

--------------------
Hey, I am a new face around here and I want to make a good first impression.

If you want a hack play tested or reviewed please send me a PM
Currently Reviewing: nothing
Originally posted by infesting
Originally posted by mathelete
What if their graphics were replaced? Would it still be a killjoy for you? When you say munchers, do you mean hurt-blocks in general?


Actually if their graphics are replaced I don't mind them (or hurt blocks) at all, unless they are spammed. It is something about the graphics of the orginal munchers that I dislike. However, I still prefer moving enemies and complex obstacles over hurt blocks.

So you just don't like the aesthetics of munchers. I see. Well, that is the reason floating/stacked munchers are frowned upon. They look ugly. I guess you don't like any type of muncher...

--------------------
don't click this link...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 » Link
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - SMW Hacking Discussion - Killjoys in SMW Hacks?

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2022 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks