So over the last two weeks I took the time and recoded Block tool completely from the ground up. And last now I finished the public beta build. So before I list off the features, here is a Release Candidate
GPS is now a release candidate build! This means unless major bugs around found this build will go completely public. Please test this build throughly.
1) Command line based using similar systems to addmusic and sprite tool. Should help provide minimal confusion.
2) Duplicate blocks are detected and their pointers are reused to save space
3) Only db $42 blocks are supported
4) You may optionally set the acts like setting from the block list
5) You may specify an optional command line argument to the blocks folder for seperating blocks used in different hacks (same applies for the list file)
6) You can enable a debug flag which prints the addresses of labels that are inserted. Very handy for block creation if you need to set a breakpoint.
7) All Currently accepted db $42 blocks should be compatible. So this tool is backwards compatible.
8) Shared routine mechanism, Saves space and makes coding blocks easier.
9) Cleans old BTSD code/blocks from a ROM
10) Will generate a DSC file using print data in blocks or its filename if print data is not present.
11) Several options to optimize the amount of space used (see README for details.)
The list format is pretty simple and straight forward "blockid:actslike asm_file.asm".
So as an example:
As you can see in power2.asm the acts like was not set, it will default to whatever the tile is set as in lunar magic (usually 130). Power1.asm will also only be inserted once and the pointers will use the same inserted code. There are no side effects to doing so other than saving space.
Also as a note, the default included demo block is a random block from the blocks section. It makes the block act like 130 when mario is small, and behave as the acts like setting when powered up.
As for the name, it may stay or may be permanent not sure. For context of origin heres a brief skype log trimmed to relevant parts:
Originally posted by skype
[00:43:44] Ersanio: so it's not btsd anymore =p
[00:43:47] p4plus2: originally I wanted BIT or BITS but that could be confusing
[00:43:59] Ersanio: you should name it something ridiculous
[00:44:01] Ersanio: like
[00:44:02] p4plus2: I feel BTSD is smkdans
[00:44:10] Ersanio: Super block pro insertion tool premium X
[00:44:11] * Ersanio is shot
[00:44:26] p4plus2: oh I thought by rediculous you went random as all can be
[00:44:41] p4plus2: like "gopher popcorn stew"
[00:44:48] Ersanio: XD
[00:44:56] p4plus2: how would people react to a tool with a name like that
[00:45:08] Ersanio: no clue rofl
[00:45:17] Ersanio: you should name the tool like that when you make a thread about it
[00:45:22] p4plus2: "so to insert blocks into your ROM you need to download gopher popcorn stew"
[00:45:29] Ersanio: and at the end in very tiny letters: **name subject to change
[00:45:40] Ersanio: oh my god
Anyways, to close this out, feedback is highly welcomed as changing block tool is a major change for the site so we should do it right the first time.
Also Please feel free to suggest better names -- This name is not going to stay.