Welcome to this year's winter event. The goal of this contest is to create a short SMW hack containing levels that match the themes listed in this thread. Every day before Christmas, at 00:00 CST one level theme will be revealed, however, unlike the 24 hour contest, the themes won't be very restrictive and you don't actually need to complete a level per day. The rules are as following:
- Every theme listed in this thread must be present in your hack.
- The themes don't need to appear in the same order as listed in this thread.
- You can use various themes in one level, but you must use different sublevels for each one.
- Each level (or area, if you are using various themes in one level) must be between 8 and F screens long. You can use various sublevels for one theme as long as you don't go above the screen limit. I suggest you make them short so you have time to finish everything before the deadline.
- You are allowed to use any resources hosted in the site for your levels.
- You are allowed to team up with one person (no more) to make your submission.
- Submission shall be posted here between December 25th 00:00 CST and January 13th 23:59 CST. You can however, post IPS patches of what you have in the discussion thread before the submission period to ask for feedback.
The hacks will be judged based on level design and usage of the themes; the method for judging will be the same one as in the previous contests (each hack will be given a rating ranging from 1 to 5 and the judges will reunite to decide the top 3 winners). You can edit the overworld and the title screen; however, they won't affect your results. For the overworld, I suggest, you take the special world submap and add some level tiles so you don't spend much time on that.
List of themes:
A cave with water
Outdoors with lava
Sky level at night
A stormy graveyard
A level based on one of the NES SMB games
A dimensional vortex/Alternate dimension
Choose two of the following themes and combine them into one area: desert, factory, sea, forest and beach.
Castle with an cold-themed Gimmick.