Banner
Views: 790,870,240
Time:
17 users online: alexandrite, DPBOX, edwinmusic,  FPzero, Green Jerry, I don't know a good name.,  Lazy,  Maarfy, mariofreak4500, Maxodex, Mikosama, Romano338,  Telinc1, TheBiob,  Thomas, yogui, Yung Gotenks - Guests: 31 - Bots: 191 Users: 41,294 (1,504 active)
Latest: ItsYaBoyBamba
Tip: The "No More Sprite Tile Limits" patch does NOT increase the limit for the amount of sprites onscreen at once.Not logged in.
LEVEL 107 ACHROMATOPSIA AREA
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - The 7th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest - LEVEL 107 ACHROMATOPSIA AREA
Pages: « 1 »
Originally posted by KY2010
It's done!

Here's the link to the post submisssion


And here are some screen shots to get you interested to try it out.

what the fuck is vision

In all seriousness, it could maybe be a little brigther, it's very hard to see everything. Looking good for one screen though!
Praise be to gay orana
I think it looks nice as it is. While the spotlight is off, the player can't see anything which may give a bigger challenge. The palette is also pretty fine.
Originally posted by Wormer21
the player can't see anything which may give a bigger challenge.


While the palettes of the current terrain also affects the enemies, they're somewhat highlighted unlike the foreground.
It's done!

Here's the link to the post submisssion


And here are some screen shots to get you interested to try it out.

I played your submission and... it really needs more work.

The most obvious issue is the palette in the first half of your level. It's just way too dark, and difficult to see where your footing is. If you really want to go with a dark cave level, may I suggest using the Dark Room Spotlight, and brightening up the palettes for it? As it currently stands it creates unnecessary amounts of artificial difficulty.

Another problem is the time limit. I ran out of time before I ever made it to the goal on my first try, and had to complete it from the midway point. Granted, I was being cautious due to the whole dark room half, but an extension of 100 seconds would do a lot of good here.

Finally, I felt that your level didn't seem to have a focus. It starts off as a dark cave and then transitions into a grassland for the second half suddenly. The sprite/obstacle usage was just all over the place, and it felt more like you were just throwing around whatever you could find than actually sticking to a theme.

Consider my points if you have any interest in improving your level.

--------------------

My Let's Play channel (Current LP: Final Fantasy VI, MegaMari)
Can't test the level cause I'm on a tab, but it seems that the cave section is really dark. Also, Mario's palette doesn't look very well on the first screenshots. I think sprites should be especially visible. Try to make them slightly brighter.
I fucking love the palettes in the normal level! (not cave). I haven't played the actual level, but I can tell by the screenshots that this is going to be a really fun level!
Originally posted by GeminiRage
The most obvious issue is the palette in the first half of your level. It's just way too dark, and difficult to see where your footing is. If you really want to go with a dark cave level, may I suggest using the Dark Room Spotlight, and brightening up the palettes for it? As it currently stands it creates unnecessary amounts of artificial difficulty.


That's usually because you either have a monitor/contrast that doesn't have it's brightness on a medium level, or you're playing with the sun shining on your screen. But it's obviously no excuse, I'll try to brighten it up without ruining the atmosphere.


Originally posted by GeminiRageAnother
problem is the time limit. I ran out of time before I ever made it to the goal on my first try, and had to complete it from the midway point. Granted, I was being cautious due to the whole dark room half, but an extension of 100 seconds would do a lot of good here.


I have resolved it 2 days ago.

Originally posted by GeminiRageAnother
Finally, I felt that your level didn't seem to have a focus. It starts off as a dark cave and then transitions into a grassland for the second half suddenly. The sprite/obstacle usage was just all over the place, and it felt more like you were just throwing around whatever you could find than actually sticking to a theme.


Actually, my main focus was trying to put up a level that was "difficult" because of it's enemy placements and not the structure of the level itself. I wouldn't consider what I did "usage was just all over the place", I was trying to put up some nice set-ups for the player to go through. I personally don't find not sticking to a theme to be even remotely a bad thing.

EDIT: For the sudden transition of cave to grassland, it's called having variety.
Pages: « 1 »
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - The 7th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest - LEVEL 107 ACHROMATOPSIA AREA

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 7

Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • SMBX Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • MFGG