Banner
Views: 838,378,698
Time:
28 users online:  Anorakun, autisticsceptile1993, Bad luck man, BenjaminHedgefox, brickblock369,  BTD6_maker, elieltonl, Far, Igno, Israelcv12cv,  JamesD28, Jammerjab, KaidenThelens, Knucklesfan,  Koopster, LadiesMan217, Leozoppi, Lotica, LyenZo,  Major Flare, Mr. MS, NewPointless, PowerStrike, Sancles, Smibbix, SubconYoshi, SuperDfar, Zerio - Guests: 62 - Bots: 73 Users: 45,879 (3,377 active)
Latest: SuperDfar
Not logged in.
Super Mario World Nyaa :3 ~ FINISHED ~ Free for betatesters
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Super Mario World Nyaa :3 ~ FINISHED ~ Free for betatesters
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
Welcome! ^-^

This is our brand new SMW Hack, Super Mario World Nyaa, which, in fact, has nothing to do with cats at all (currently). This is a collaboration between Mao and me.

Concept

This hack will feature plenty of levels in 7 main worlds and (maybe) 1 star-road-like world. The levels won't be very long though, as they will be as long as SMW's original levels were. Difficulty-wise, this hack is meant to be played without savestates. The difficulty curve will be comparable to SMB3, so it will be harder than SMW at the end.

The levels in this hack have a classic feeling to them. Leveldesign-wise, there are some SMB1-styled levels, some SMB3-styled ones and of course some SMW-styled ones. That means, the levels are not supposed to be very special or complex, but fun to play, mostly linear levels, which keep the classical feeling of the mario bros games. The graphicstyle is mostly vanilla, with some custom elements, like blocks from smb3 or simple custom sprites from smb3.

We noticed, that most japanese hacks are in japanese language, so we thought: Why shouldn't we make our hack in our mothertongue aswell? That's why this hack is completely in german. Of course I'll translate all level names into english for you aswell ;)

Here you have the list of worlds (+ translation):
- World 1: Dino-Insel (Dinosaur Island)
- World 2: Gras-Felder (Grass Plains)
- World 3: Kupfer-Wald (Copper Forest)
- World 4: Lava-WÜste (Lava Desert)
- World 5: Kreide-Ebene (Chalk Plains)
- World 6: Röhren-Hügel (Pipe Hills)
- World 7: -???- (Unknown yet)

Screenshots

There are (probably) more levels finished than you can see here, but I will only show you some levels every few days. For detailed descriptions to every single level, see the later posts of mine!

World 1 - Dino-Insel






World 2 - Gras-Felder





World 3 - Kupfer-Wald





World 4 - Lava-Wüste


Click me for Video!!!


World 5 - Kreide-Ebene




World 6 - Röhren-Hügel



Anyways...

That's it for now. Please comment, and tell us what you like and what you don't like ^^ Thank you <33


Looks like a nice work here. You're mixing well some good palettes and a bit of ExGFX in a nice way. But I have two complains - the BG palette of Dino-Insel and the Buzzy Beetle palette at Kupfer-Wald. Both of them look a bit strange - they're original from SMW, I know, but you could put some more effort on them.

--------------------



Dream team (feed them, please):






The Buzzy Beetle never appeared in that palette in the original, and I hate it when they do in hacks.

--------------------
Kinda in hibernation for a while. I hope to be back in full swing soon.
So let's fix it!

--------------------
osu! | Super Mario World Nyaa :3



Formerly known as MetalJo
this hack looks pretty fun so far, however:



weird incorrect palette at the edge of this mushroom. i know the original smw did it, but it does look weird.



extremely minor, but the bottom-right-most cement block is sitting pn that edge tile. looks pretty odd.

anyways, this hack looks good so far! keep working and good luck! #smw{:peace:}

--------------------
Currently: Starting college!
You're back again! Great news guys! And you are finally concentrating on leveldesign as I can see...

--------------------
C3 stuff: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=67626 HDMA-Codes and Custom Music included!

1 Island Of Vanilla Feeling: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5988

MaSeHiHa World 1: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=6055

currently working on: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=78239

Originally posted by Fierce Deity Manuz OW Hacker
Looks like a nice work here. You're mixing well some good palettes and a bit of ExGFX in a nice way. But I have two complains - the BG palette of Dino-Insel and the Buzzy Beetle palette at Kupfer-Wald. Both of them look a bit strange - they're original from SMW, I know, but you could put some more effort on them.


Thank you very much :3 I personally think the BG palette of the first level is fine. I think the blue colour fits well with the green foreground. MetalJo will fix the Buzzy Beetle palette in his level though.

Originally posted by Footsteps_of_Coins
The Buzzy Beetle never appeared in that palette in the original, and I hate it when they do in hacks.


Yeah, MetalJo will fix it!
EDIT: Done.


Originally posted by mario and luigi
weird incorrect palette at the edge of this mushroom. i know the original smw did it, but it does look weird.


We're not fixing cutoffs or those things in this hack which the original SMW did too. It should have this classical feeling to it.

Originally posted by mario and luigi
extremely minor, but the bottom-right-most cement block is sitting pn that edge tile. looks pretty odd.


Nothing is looking odd there lol o:

Originally posted by mario and luigi
anyways, this hack looks good so far! keep working and good luck! #smw{:peace:}


Thank you very much <3

Originally posted by Neidave
You're back again! Great news guys! And you are finally concentrating on leveldesign as I can see...


Thanks! Also, when were we not concentrating on leveldesign... :<
Thanks to all for the nice words ^-^

--------------------
osu! | Super Mario World Nyaa :3



Formerly known as MetalJo
Looks pretty good. SMW blocks would actually look better for me in a SMW-like level, but the SMB1 blocks are also okay. I like SMW-like design - it's simple, but can be also fun. Nice work, you both.
Originally posted by Wormer21
Looks pretty good. SMW blocks would actually look better for me in a SMW-like level, but the SMB1 blocks are also okay. I like SMW-like design - it's simple, but can be also fun. Nice work, you both.


Thank you very much <3 I don't know, personally I prefer using the SMB-blocks to fill larger spaces instead of cement blocks, and I think they fit pretty nice ;)

Anyways, new screenshots (I will also update the first post).
Today we got a level from world 4 and world 5:

World 4 - Lava-Wüste



As the world name implies, the desert overworld is filled with lava. So are most of the levels in this world, though not all levels. This level includes podobos, chucks and piranha plants, some of them shooting at you with fire. It contains bridges, which are splitted into smaller pieces to create simple precision jumps.

World 5 - Kreide-Ebene



This is obviously the ice-themed-world. In that cave level by MetalJo, you've got to handle some Ninjis and Piranha Plants aswell. The level is based around throw blocks. They are used to reach secrets and protect Mario. The level is much harder than it looks at the screenshots, trust me! I think in my next update I'll post the first submap and a video of one of the levels :3

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment :)
For a near-vanilla hack it looks really good, but I do reccomend changing the palettes on some levels.

Currently: Bringing back the footer I had in 2013.


Uhm... for Lava-Wüste, I found two problems:

- The FG and BG palettes clash a bit. It's minor and easily fixable, though;

- That pipe above top edges creates cutoff. Another minor, easily-fixable thing.

And for Kreide-Ebene:

- That FG palette is a bit eye-searing (or could be the fact I'm a bit blind);
- I'm not sure about the clouds inside a cavern... some ropes would look better, seriously.


Aside of this small things, I see some promising work here. Good luck with the rest!

--------------------



Dream team (feed them, please):






Originally posted by Akireyano
For a near-vanilla hack it looks really good, but I do reccomend changing the palettes on some levels.


Thank you :3 Which palettes do you mean? The standard SMW ones, I say no, definitely. They fit the hack very much, especially the first worlds, and nobody can make better palettes than Nintendo did, because the graphics are made for those palettes.

Originally posted by Fierce Deity Manuz OW Hacker
Uhm... for Lava-Wüste, I found two problems:

- The FG and BG palettes clash a bit. It's minor and easily fixable, though;

- That pipe above top edges creates cutoff. Another minor, easily-fixable thing.


I know about graphic clash pretty well, but I can't think about a reason these palettes should clash. Does the foreground and background in every level has to be the exact same colour? I think the greyish bg makes a nice contrast to the brown foreground and the lava, and they look pretty nice together. Also, I don't care at all about that cutoff to be honest. Unlike most opinions on SMWC here (I bet), I think that small cutoff like this looks okay and adds to the classical feel of the hack, as Nintendo also did things like that in SMW or SMB3. When I see other hackers, who redraw some tiles to fix those cutoffs, those tiles always look kind of artificially and don't fit into the atmosphere at all.

Originally posted by Fierce Deity Manuz OW Hacker
And for Kreide-Ebene:

- That FG palette is a bit eye-searing (or could be the fact I'm a bit blind);
- I'm not sure about the clouds inside a cavern... some ropes would look better, seriously.


Yeah, it might be a bit eye-searing at the screenshots, but it looks better ingame in my opinion. Also, it creats a pretty nice atmosphere here. MetalJo and me love bright palettes, so you have to live with that :( I think very dark palettes don't fit the vanilla graphics, as Nintendo made the graphics for their palettes, and those palettes are bright and colourful <3
Also, MetalJo might change the clouds to ropes, I have to ask him... But then, don't complain about cutoff :b

Originally posted by Fierce Deity Manuz OW Hacker
Aside of this small things, I see some promising work here. Good luck with the rest!


Thank you for the little review <3

Anyways, I hope I don't sound harsh when I comment against your suggestions, I try to be nice and all, but my english is kind of not good enough for that :( But you have to accept that we are experienced hackers, so we really know about the cutoffs and all. We do that all on purpose!!! Thank you for the comments, guys!
Originally posted by Fierce Deity Manuz OW Hacker

- That FG palette is a bit eye-searing (or could be the fact I'm a bit blind);
- I'm not sure about the clouds inside a cavern... some ropes would look better, seriously.


Well, probably going to change the clouds to ropes. But if I do so don't complain about cutoff :b

I have no problems with the palette. There's nothing for me. It's bright and colorful and not eye-searing in any meaning if you ask me :/

Thank you all for commenting ^-^

--------------------
osu! | Super Mario World Nyaa :3



Formerly known as MetalJo
Well, no video for you today sadly, as I forgot about recording it and I don't want to do it today :( But I'll show you a World 6 level and also the first submap! ^^

World 6 - Röhren-Hügel



I tried to take the screenshots better this time, so you can see the difficulty xD Anyways, the pipe world is full of pipes (who would have thought that), munchers and piranha plants, though not every level looks like that of course, because it would be boring! ^^ By the way, the world contains many secret exits and all levels are collected with pipes together. This is obviously inspired by Super Demo World - The Legend Continues ;)

World 1 - Dino-Insel



I know, you will maybe complain about it having only one level of height. But in grassland worlds, Nintendo never used multiple heights to be accessable. They only used multiple heights for special places like the Yellow Switch Palace, and of course in mountain worlds like world 4. So we decided that the first world would look best like this. I hope you like it :) The main overworld will have more variation in height of course!

Anyways, please comment on today's screenshots aswell!
Looks pretty neat so far! I love the simplistic design style and the SMW-esque aesthetics :3

This looks very promising so far, keep it up!
Your world 6 level looks interesting. I'd be careful with the munchers, though -- you don't want to place too many in your levels. It's OK if it's a minor gimmick in one level, but you probably don't want them in every level for fear of repeating 2 ways to victory.

Your overworld looks pretty fantastic! You've got a variety in terrain there and kept to a basic style without being too flashy. Do you plan on adding a custom palette to it?
Originally posted by Aeon
Looks pretty neat so far! I love the simplistic design style and the SMW-esque aesthetics :3

This looks very promising so far, keep it up!


Thank you very much <3

Originally posted by SpicySeafood
Your world 6 level looks interesting. I'd be careful with the munchers, though -- you don't want to place too many in your levels. It's OK if it's a minor gimmick in one level, but you probably don't want them in every level for fear of repeating 2 ways to victory.

Your overworld looks pretty fantastic! You've got a variety in terrain there and kept to a basic style without being too flashy. Do you plan on adding a custom palette to it?


Thank you :3 No, there are only few munchers in the previous world! Only world 6 has many munchers in it, but not in every level ^^ I don't plan on adding a custom palette to the overworlds in this hack though, except ice and desert and final world ^^
Originally posted by mrdeppelman
ice and desert and final world ^^


You seem to love "and" xD

Thank you for the nice words. I will be carefull with using munchers but well...it's pipe and plant world so munchers fit pretty well in my opion o:
We didn't use that many munchers in previous worlds though and of course don't plan on spamming them all over the levels x3

--------------------
osu! | Super Mario World Nyaa :3



Formerly known as MetalJo


I don't know why, but Röhren-Hügel kinda reminds me of some SMB3 levels (world 7, as far I know). It's nice, but be careful when using the munchers. They can mess with your design if overused.

Originally posted by mrdeppelman
Yeah, it might be a bit eye-searing at the screenshots, but it looks better ingame in my opinion. Also, it creats a pretty nice atmosphere here. MetalJo and me love bright palettes, so you have to live with that :( I think very dark palettes don't fit the vanilla graphics, as Nintendo made the graphics for their palettes, and those palettes are bright and colourful <3
Also, MetalJo might change the clouds to ropes, I have to ask him... But then, don't complain about cutoff :b


Forgive me, I'm a bit blind. That's why I complained about brightness and such.

Originally posted by mrdeppelman
Anyways, I hope I don't sound harsh when I comment against your suggestions, I try to be nice and all, but my english is kind of not good enough for that :( But you have to accept that we are experienced hackers, so we really know about the cutoffs and all. We do that all on purpose!!! Thank you for the comments, guys!


Don't worry, you didn't sound harsh (at least for me). And I'm not good at speaking English too (I should be good, but whatever). And I know you and MetalJo are experienced; I have never said otherwise.


EDIT: ninja'd

--------------------



Dream team (feed them, please):






Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Super Mario World Nyaa :3 ~ FINISHED ~ Free for betatesters

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy