Banner
Views: 789,593,787
Time:
12 users online: Arobam, Diego, Drukqs, ECS.98, Enan63, Flippn'Fences, Galleth Cooper,  idol, jesus, mariofreak4500, MarioThePipePlumber, Misterfan2000 - Guests: 48 - Bots: 202 Users: 41,227 (1,514 active)
Latest: ritojo
Tip: Never put a Hammer Brothers Sprite near lava. After being killed, it will still throw hammers until it sinks or goes off-screen.Not logged in.
The SMW Glitch List
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Kaizo Hacks - The SMW Glitch List
Pages: « 1 29 10 11 12 13 14 »
It also happens when you aren't on a conveyor.

You can also do it with a throw block which is way easier to grab on yoshi since it's literally jumping on him while holding 'grab' (Assuming the throwblock is in the correct spriteslot relative to yoshi)

Pretty sure that's already in the list though.

edit: it is
|
V
Quote
If Mario grabs a shell, throwblock, or goomba on Yoshi, he'll be knocked off almost immediately as if Yoshi took damage. Note that this will not occur if the sprite is eat-canceled.

That's the same glitch. It happens anywhere else, not just while on a conveyor.
Originally posted by Katerpie
Quote
If Mario grabs a shell, throwblock, or goomba on Yoshi, he'll be knocked off almost immediately as if Yoshi took damage. Note that this will not occur if the sprite is eat-canceled.

That's the same glitch. It happens anywhere else, not just while on a conveyor.

Glitch-ception.

--------------------
Legacy custom music


How am I so creative? I think taking walks might have something to do with it.
Every single level I will ever make in SMM2 will be easier than Ultra Necrozma.
Originally posted by Thomas
If a wall springboard is crossing the edge of the screen, its interaction will loop to the other side. In order for it to work, however, the base sphere of it has to be fully onscreen.

I have a gif for this, thanks to Amaraticando's recent update on his script showing its hitbox:


--------------------
Glitch hunter, RAM eater, pseudo-TASer.
Scripts, documentations, and misc: SMW stuff on Github, YI stuff on Github, The Flintstones stuff on Github
Stuff and me: YouTube, Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9n1-nn5AE
^
|
Glitch

--------------------

SMW TAS'er. My pages:
New TAS blog - old SMW Blog, Youtube - Twitter
So there is this glitch i may/may not have discovered, but layer 2 noteblocks seem to have odd properties when bounced on. (i.e. using layer 2 range 05 and going up shoots player downwards ro initial position and forces them through blocks and going up is nearly the same but without block clipping.)
Hi, I'm a signature!
Hack Thread
Hack Testing Status: Available.
Layout by Koopster.
I discovered some neat glitches:
- There should be a 1-tile long space between a fence and the ground. You must put a spinning fence sprite on the fence. If Super/Fire/Cape Mario gets behind the fence and falls to the ground, he'll be behind the fence and even be invincible to sprites!

- If you make a brown block platform and put a snake block on the last block, and the player steps on the platform (or literally any tile acting like the brown block), it's gonna jerk a little bit to the right but it will come left and eat the platform from there.

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
Should glitchy behaviors that were never encountered in the actual game, only when editing via LM even count?

--------------------
Legacy custom music


How am I so creative? I think taking walks might have something to do with it.
Every single level I will ever make in SMM2 will be easier than Ultra Necrozma.
Originally posted by MasterSkodwarde
- There should be a 1-tile long space between a fence and the ground. You must put a spinning fence sprite on the fence. If Super/Fire/Cape Mario gets behind the fence and falls to the ground, he'll be behind the fence and even be invincible to sprites!

- If you make a brown block platform and put a snake block on the last block, and the player steps on the platform (or literally any tile acting like the brown block), it's gonna jerk a little bit to the right but it will come left and eat the platform from there.

1) Both of these are known about
2) I would consider none of them actual glitches.
The fence one is obvious and you could argue about it being intentional.
The thing with being invincible is because you're behind the net (look at it like a different layer) and the sprites are in front.
As for the snake thing I'd consider it a limitation rather than a glitch since nintendo intended it to always start by going to the right.

Originally posted by Sokobansolver
Should glitchy behaviors that were never encountered in the actual game, only when editing via LM even count?

Since it's an smw glitch list I don't see why not. Also you can technically have that scenario in the original game via ace

The only time where I think it shouldn't be included is when the glitch is caused by certain asm that isn't available in the original rom (LM's modifications, patches etc)
Also, I believe there already are some of these in the list. Might be mistaken though.

But I'm not in charge of the list so that's only my opinion.
Those aren't really glitches for the same reasons TheBiob mentioned.

Glitchy behaviors arguably can be listed, but only if they're actual unintended glitches you can pull off in the game and not limitations, such as the ones already listed in the OP. Of course glitches caused by custom resources shouldn't be included.
Originally posted by Thomas
If the sprite in the lowest filled sprite slot with object interaction is inside one of tiles 021-024 or 121-124, then all tiles outside of the level will register as the corresponding tile on Map16 page 0. They won't actually become solid when hit, but they will block Mario from below and spawn any related sprites. Notably, capespinning will briefly interrupt this effect.

This glitch can warp the tiles like Lunar Magic does:


--------------------

SMW TAS'er. My pages:
New TAS blog - old SMW Blog, Youtube - Twitter
^
I guess there will be a race to make a level that exploits that?

--------------------
Legacy custom music


How am I so creative? I think taking walks might have something to do with it.
Every single level I will ever make in SMM2 will be easier than Ultra Necrozma.


Yoshi stomp with yellow shell can be glitched and hit far away objects (1 screen away).

1) this works horizontally only due to a typo in the code.
The result of this code is wrong in the last 8 pixels before Mario enters a new screen, if xpos >= 248 mod (256).
Code
CODE_0286CF:        A5 94         LDA RAM_MarioXPos         
CODE_0286D1:        99 D1 16      STA.W $16D1,Y             
CODE_0286D4:        A5 95         LDA RAM_MarioXPosHi       
CODE_0286D6:        99 DD 16      STA.W $16DD,Y             
CODE_0286D9:        A5 96         LDA RAM_MarioYPos         
CODE_0286DB:        18            CLC                       
CODE_0286DC:        69 20         ADC.B #$20                
CODE_0286DE:        99 D9 16      STA.W $16D9,Y             
CODE_0286E1:        A5 97         LDA RAM_MarioYPosHi       
CODE_0286E3:        69 00         ADC.B #$00                
CODE_0286E5:        99 DD 16      STA.W $16DD,Y

the first STA.W $16DD,Y should be STA.W $16D5,Y.
$16Dx = coordinates of quake sprites.

2) This doesn't seem to affect the quake from bounce sprites, because they use another routine.

--------------------

SMW TAS'er. My pages:
New TAS blog - old SMW Blog, Youtube - Twitter
If you die on the title screen when it is just about to reset back to the beginning, the demo keeps playing like normal, but the Special World music keeps playing.

--------------------
*everything stops*
Yeah, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation...
*cut to next post*
Quote
Collecting a star or dying on the title screen will cause the music to change to the special world's theme.

That's basically the same glitch or at least some sort of variation, since restarting the title screen once you die will still trigger it.
In layer 2 or layer 3 rooms, directional coins can eat through layer 1. This is already in the list. However:

Touching tile 1F0, bubbly lava, or kill-lava from above: It stays there. (the bubbly lava and kill-lava were tested using the one from the object menu)

Touching a rope conveyor from above: It gradually moves to the left, and it can fall off the conveyor without any x velocity and fall on to another conveyor and continue being moved.

If the directional coin gets stuck on a brown block and then the p switch is pressed, the directional coin can continue moving.

If a switch is pressed, and the directional coin is on a conveyor, then the directional coin will look like a brown block. However, it is not solid. Baby Yoshi can still eat it though.

The directional coin has weird interactions with steep slopes.

Approaching from the left: If approached from the left, and it touches a single steep slope whose slope is closer to the left side than the right, the directional coin will fall quickly but not completely fall to the next tile. It will be slightly above the row and thus be misaligned. Mario cannot change the direction of it while it's misaligned. It realigns itself when it eats through a layer 1 block. Baby yoshi can eat this misaligned coin.

Also approaching from the left: If the steep slope has another steep slope tile beneath it, then the directional coin will jitter vertically between the steep slope tiles.

Approaching from the right: If the tile's slope is closer to the right side than the left, the directional coin will become misaligned as well. However, it travels between the two rows right in the middle, so it's more misaligned this way.

Also approaching from the right: If the steep slope has another steep slope tile beneath it, then the directional coin will jitter a bit with the slope tile beneath it but then return back to normal, aligned.

The glitch works on SA-1 and normal ROMs.

--

I'm sure there's more glitches, but this is insane enough.
A lot of my testimony is kind of unclear. Therefore, as an exercise to the reader, please try out these fun glitches yourself.
Spike Tops on walls don't die to divebomb:
(This was my first strategy in the Task #1 of the Challenge)



--------------------
Glitch hunter, RAM eater, pseudo-TASer.
Scripts, documentations, and misc: SMW stuff on Github, YI stuff on Github, The Flintstones stuff on Github
Stuff and me: YouTube, Twitter
Originally posted by ft029

Those glitches seem to work as intended, and I didn't know they even existed before you pointed them out lol. Added.

Originally posted by BrunoValads
Spike Tops on walls don't die to divebomb:

Added to the list as well.
Originally posted by Amaraticando


Yoshi stomp with yellow shell can be glitched and hit far away objects (1 screen away).

1) this works horizontally only due to a typo in the code.
The result of this code is wrong in the last 8 pixels before Mario enters a new screen, if xpos >= 248 mod (256).
Code
CODE_0286CF:        A5 94         LDA RAM_MarioXPos         
CODE_0286D1:        99 D1 16      STA.W $16D1,Y             
CODE_0286D4:        A5 95         LDA RAM_MarioXPosHi       
CODE_0286D6:        99 DD 16      STA.W $16DD,Y             
CODE_0286D9:        A5 96         LDA RAM_MarioYPos         
CODE_0286DB:        18            CLC                       
CODE_0286DC:        69 20         ADC.B #$20                
CODE_0286DE:        99 D9 16      STA.W $16D9,Y             
CODE_0286E1:        A5 97         LDA RAM_MarioYPosHi       
CODE_0286E3:        69 00         ADC.B #$00                
CODE_0286E5:        99 DD 16      STA.W $16DD,Y

the first STA.W $16DD,Y should be STA.W $16D5,Y.
$16Dx = coordinates of quake sprites.

2) This doesn't seem to affect the quake from bounce sprites, because they use another routine.


#yoshingno.

Did the developers of pokemon is the same people who made SMW's yoshi?

(unrelated topic: Pokemon also have arbitrary code execution that have exploitable RAM as well)

Also, what tool are you using to display the inputs per frame on the left side of the screen?

--------------------
Give thanks to RPG hacker for working on Asar.


Originally posted by GreenHammerBro
Also, what tool are you using to display the inputs per frame on the left side of the screen?

It's his smw-utils lua script, specifically the version for lsnes.

Amaraticando edit: By the way, this wiki page is deprecated, I just edited it.

Professional frame-by-frame time wizard. YouTube - Twitter - SMW Glitch List - SMW Randomizer
Pages: « 1 29 10 11 12 13 14 »
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Kaizo Hacks - The SMW Glitch List

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 7

Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • SMBX Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • MFGG