These are the three levels I made, obviously. I figured I'd start a discussion thread for them, as well as a place where I could post any changes I'd make to them...whenever that happens.
Frigid Lake Cavern:
- Seems like not so much an outright bad level, but kind of bland. In the redesign, I might consider making it shorter but perhaps a little less linear.
- I think the graphics and music could possibly be changed to something better, though it doesn't matter too much if they're not. (In a Snow-Bound Land would fit well for the music, though I'm not sure what graphics I'd use...)
- Okay, no way is this easy enough for World 2. Maybe not hard enough for World 7, but if it's going to be a World 2 level, I should redesign it, or at least parts of it. I should probably redesign parts of it anyway.
- The music choice could probably be better. Tengu Man's theme suits a more sky-type athletic level than a mountainous one, but I swear to God that I cannot for the life of me find a good general-purpose athletic theme. (Or a mountain theme, for that matter...of the very
few mountain themes I can think of that I would consider worth using, none of them would really fit this level.)
Wild Wet Castle:
- I know that this one is supposed to be just scrapped entirely and remade from the ground up.
- Should I change the level name? I'm thinking of making it kind of an overgrown swampy ruins area with a lot of plant-based enemies and obstacles (possibly with a sewer section or two), so...maybe Botanical Bastion? Temple Thicket? Boulder Bog? Perilous Plants? Or even "The Hungry Swamp" or something.
- I'm thinking of making the level have several rooms that can be done in any order, as in Marching Milde's Fort in Yoshi's Island. I might do a more swampy one, a more ruins-ish one, a sewer one, a higher-altitude one...I don't know.
- Also on the subject of Yoshi's Island, should I keep the Yoshi's Island graphics? I could probably find some overgrown ruins or swamp-type graphics, and I'm not even sure what I'd use for that one room, but the sewer parts...well, there are just about no
other good sewer graphics around.
- I realize that the boss needs to be tweaked as well. Other than making her not glitch up, not take so long to beat, and not be so dependent on the RNG, is there anything that should be changed?
- Oh yeah, and the music could probably be changed here as well, though I'm not sure what would fit a swampy castle...maybe this