So, unless the original author comes back, I'd really like to take a crack at this level since I have a pretty cool concept for it. Basically, an athletic lava cave level, in fitting with the title.
The level has a ton of issues though, it's very cramped, full of item babysitting, the cave story graphics really clash with the ones we're going to use, and the Running Hell port is super overused. Definitely not a fit for world 3 difficulty-wise, or really theming-wise either.
What I'd like to do is:
- Keep some of the Cave Story themeing
- Particularly I'd like to take some of the Hell elements and match them up with the SMWCP2 style, to use as decorations in a cave tileset
- Also, would like to find some less-aggrivating cave story enemies that better fit world 3. Perhaps even a non-shooting variant of the ones used in the level.
- Replace the music. As good a song Running Hell is, it's an overused port and a world 3 level isn't really climactic enough for it.
- As said above, an athletic lava/cave level, but I'll try not to focus on skull rafts.
- I'd like to particularly use digging chucks. They're my favorite chargin' chuck variant, and might work to give the level a ruins excavation theme as well.
Like I said, I don't want to get rid of the cave story themeing entirely, as it's the original author's intent, but the level needs a sweeping overhaul, and the style really clashes with the art style we'll be working towards. Any thoughts?