I replayed it recently, and I don't think it's up to par with my current level design. So far, here are my plans for the level:
- Introduce the blue and red blocks through the level design and not via a message block.
- Remove the "short on time" bonus section. I don't know why I thought people would want to replay the entire level with 1/4 of the time.
- With that section gone, redistribute yoshi coins.
- Repurpose that sublevel for bonus rooms maybe.
- Remove p-switch blocks if possible, or use them in bonus rooms. The level currently revolves around the use of three special blocks and additional blocks unnecessarily complicate things.
- More sprite variety. Koopas and spike tops != variety.
- Get someone to fix the poison water so it drains time constantly instead of starting and stopping.
I think all the changes I've proposed may necessitate a complete redo. We'll see.
EDIT: Can't double post, so I'll edit.
Crash course time!
You start on top of blue blocks, so you know they're solid right off the bat. If you want that powerup on the right, knowing that the spike top is unaffected by blue blocks is necessary to time your jump properly.
The arrow on the sign is going to be replaced with a clock (or something). This is supposed to signify that the red blocks affect the clock, or at the very least get the player to look at the timer.
This is pretty much how red blocks were introduced previously and I can't think of a better way. Any other ideas?
Taking the shell back to the beginning gives you a vine that leads you to the first yoshi coin.