|File Name:||Giant Homing Non-Boss Spiny|
|Submitted:||2014-07-13 08:56:54 PM by dahnamics|
|Description:||This is basically a giant spiny. When Mario is a set distance from this sprite, it homes 5 fireballs in on Mario and then travels at a very high speed to try to crash into Mario. Once it impacts a wall this sprite dies.|
Check the video here
There are a ton of bugs/flaws that just simply add up:
- The aiming is incorrect -- the fireballs don't even come close to hitting small Mario. They also seem to be aimed upwards a lot.
- The fireballs can't be spin-jumped off of. Most other projectiles can be spin-jumped off of, so why not these?
- Neither the spiny nor the fireballs change direction if Mario moves to the other side.
- The spiny doesn't seem to accelerate at all when approached. It doesn't look very clean.
- The spiny doesn't seem to do anything when approached from the right.
Finally, your code could use quite a bit of work. A couple of examples:
- You have custom interaction code even though the sprite uses default interaction, wasting space.
- You should be using pointer tables instead of this:
NO_CONTACT LDA SPRITE_STATE,x
TOO_CLOSE0 JMP TOO_CLOSE
COUNTDOWN0 JMP COUNTDOWN
- You're setting $1528,x and then incrementing it manually as a timer. Why not use something auto-decrementing, like $1540,x?