Banner
Views: 992,650,014
Time:
9 users online: AJ1Ayrton, DashGamer,  Hooded Edge, kaigem, LordPickleKing, MarioPossamato, Maw, Qwoll, RPG Hacker - Guests: 34 - Bots: 116 Users: 54,446 (2,091 active)
Latest: bblakebb
Tip: Using the retry system in your Kaizo hacks can help improve the pace of your gameplay between player deaths.
Not logged in.
The Dark Dimension v1.6
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - The 8th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest - The Dark Dimension v1.6
Pages: « 1 » Link
Hey, so this is legit my first EVER submitted level. I've made hacks and stuff before but nobody has ever seen them. Anyways, here be screenies:










Since its my first level I decided to keep it simple when it came to level design and graphics.
It's kinda short so I'm also looking to add more stuff to it.

Any kind of feedback welcome. :)

Download in case you wanna test link:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/595910/The-Dark-Dimension-ips.html

P.S Sorry for sketchy download link


EDIT:
Mario's Stroll Updates:
v1.1:
-Fixed what NGB said to fix and made some better screenshots.
-Redesigned the ending of the red room
-Changed dick move note blocks to nicer boring cement blocks
-Removed some sprites in the red room to stop slowdown
-Removed some sprites in the blue room to stop slowdown.
-Added a little side area with coins in the beginning of the level
-Changed Invisible munchers to invisible cement blocks
-Made background pallets a little darker for more pleasuring visuals as advised by ZMann

v1.2:
-Again, fixed whatever NGB said to fix.
-Removed a bullet bill
-Redesigned the green room platforms
-Removed pipes to avoid cutoff
-Added an entire new segment to the end of the green room
-Changed the credits room to level 103 instead of level 104 for more message boxes.

v1.3:
-More suggestions by the wonderful NGB added.
-Removed all bullets from the sloped area and now turned into boos.
-Fixed a random hole that players could fall into on the sloped region of the blue room.
-Changed the slow auto scrolling to medium scrolling in the green room for less time to for Lakitu to rain death upon you.
-Changed a sorta simple jump to a more simpler jump.
-Changed the Yoshi Coin pallet in blue room to match the others.
-Removed some Eeries.
-Added more credits to the credits level!
-More coins in some places.

v1.4:
-Changed name from "Mario's Stroll" to "The Dark Dimmension"

v.1.5:
-Changed name from "The Dark Dimmension" to "The Dark Dimension"...
-Fixed previous spelling errors in the name
-Changed the in-game level name from "A stroll..." to "The Dark Dimension"
-Removed a shell kicking koopa in the blue room.
-Changed the FG pallet in the first area from 1 to 7

v.1.6:
-The level has been submitted. No further changes. :)
I always like silhouette-styled levels, and this looks like a good start.

I'd recommend toning down the brightness of the backgrounds, though; they're a bit tough on the eyes right now against the solid black foreground.
Layout by Mirann <3

I'm probably retired tbh
Just played it. It's overall nicely designed and I had fun playing
But there are a few minor issues.

First of all your sprites in the red sections don't seem to interact with layer 2. This was only noticeable at the very end of the room, when the dry bone falls through the floor of the last raising platform.
So it's up to you if you want to change the layer 2 interaction.

The second thing I noticed was that the note blocks are kind of a dick move. They look like normal blocks so I jumped on them just to get bounced into an enemy. I get that all your graphics are supposed to be black, but pls make sure to establish the fact that there are noteblocks in a safe area.

There also was some slowdown in the red and blue area. Can't recall where exactly though.

Last but not least I tried to check you level after I beat it already and tried to fly into the dirt with the feather I got into you credits level.
It's nice to prevent the player from doing this, but please use another way. Invisble Hurt Blocks as a ceiling are quite mean. Just change those to invisible cementblocks and everything is ok.

I hope this is a good feedback for you.

--------------------
My Youtube channel

Currently working on:
Project C

Finished project:
Originally posted by NGB
Just played it. It's overall nicely designed and I had fun playing
But there are a few minor issues.

First of all your sprites in the red sections don't seem to interact with layer 2. This was only noticeable at the very end of the room, when the dry bone falls through the floor of the last raising platform.
So it's up to you if you want to change the layer 2 interaction.

The second thing I noticed was that the note blocks are kind of a dick move. They look like normal blocks so I jumped on them just to get bounced into an enemy. I get that all your graphics are supposed to be black, but pls make sure to establish the fact that there are noteblocks in a safe area.

There also was some slowdown in the red and blue area. Can't recall where exactly though.

Last but not least I tried to check you level after I beat it already and tried to fly into the dirt with the feather I got into you credits level.
It's nice to prevent the player from doing this, but please use another way. Invisble Hurt Blocks as a ceiling are quite mean. Just change those to invisible cementblocks and everything is ok.

I hope this is a good feedback for you.


I hope you get an award for best feedback of 2015. I've done my best to fix everything you've noticed, the slow-down is only noticeable in the red room, and I can't seem to fix it even by removing some sprites. Other than that though, everything is all good. I've updated the link in-case you wanna try and find something else wrong with it.
But thank you for taking the time to test my level. I really appreciate it!
Played it again. This time I encountered no slow down so I guess it's fixed ;)

Nice to see that you thought about the suggestions I made.

This time I actually took the time to make some screenshots to explain the things I want to say, since they are nitpicky. So you can change those things, but only if you think the same way.


I know that you have no way to make the silent bullet bills generate a sound so it's ok that they are silent.
But this one in particular is pretty hard to aviod, since it travels almost half of the screen without the player being able to see it.
I suggest moving it up by one or two tiles so it's easier to see.



As you can see, there is a pixel cutoff between the water and the pipe.
I think you can use a trick to make this pixel go away.

Try to make the bottom two rows of the background black and set the scrolling of the background to none. This should get rid of the cutoff without messing anything up.

Edit: I forgot that the water is animated, so I don't think you can do anything about it...sorry





Those two screens right at the end of the level are quite empty.
Maybe add one or two parakoopas and a surface jumping fish in the first screenshot and another small, easy to defeat enemy just before the goal post.

Other than this, I think this level is good to go and has a unique idea.

--------------------
My Youtube channel

Currently working on:
Project C

Finished project:
Originally posted by NGB
Played it again. This time I encountered no slow down so I guess it's fixed ;)

Nice to see that you thought about the suggestions I made.

This time I actually took the time to make some screenshots to explain the things I want to say, since they are nitpicky. So you can change those things, but only if you think the same way.

I know that you have no way to make the silent bullet bills generate a sound so it's ok that they are silent.
But this one in particular is pretty hard to aviod, since it travels almost half of the screen without the player being able to see it.
I suggest moving it up by one or two tiles so it's easier to see.

As you can see, there is a pixel cutoff between the water and the pipe.
I think you can use a trick to make this pixel go away.

Try to make the bottom two rows of the background black and set the scrolling of the background to none. This should get rid of the cutoff without messing anything up.

Edit: I forgot that the water is animated, so I don't think you can do anything about it...sorry

Those two screens right at the end of the level are quite empty.
Maybe add one or two parakoopas and a surface jumping fish in the first screenshot and another small, easy to defeat enemy just before the goal post.

Other than this, I think this level is good to go and has a unique idea.



Hey, thanks again for actually taking your time to re-test and give me good feedback.

The bullet bill, I agree was kind of a tough one, I never considered that people who have never played the level before weren't going to know that bullet was there. Only I knew because well I did make the level. I decided to remove that bullet bill.

The pipe is gone. Actually all of them are, except for the one that you enter the level in. I put it on some ground so the cutoff is gone.

As for the last two screens that are empty...I decided that the level was a bit too short. So I added about 5 more screens worth of stuff. #tb{^V^}

I've once again updated the link for the level. It's up to you if you wanna keep being my tester. But other than that, thank you so much. You have been very helpful to me!
Don't want to study, so I played it again #tb{:p}

Everything seems alright now. The new part you added is a nice addition, but there is one part, where I encountered massive slowdown due to the amount of sprites.
it was this part:

Also I want to know if there is any reason, why the yoshi coin in the blue section looks normal and it looks pretty messed up in the red and green section?

Another thing I recognized this playthrough is that this platform is kind of small. Can you put two pipes there or put a small amount of ground at the area?


Last thing: The first 2 bullet bills in the sloped area of the blue level are still pretty hard to avoid, because you only see them after you already adjusted your jump. Can you do something about that?

Sorry for adding so much stuff I could have seen earlier, but some things aren't that bad, when you play it the first time. And by fixing some other flaws, those minor things seem more bothersome than before.

--------------------
My Youtube channel

Currently working on:
Project C

Finished project:
Originally posted by NGB
Don't want to study, so I played it again #tb{:p}

Everything seems alright now. The new part you added is a nice addition, but there is one part, where I encountered massive slowdown due to the amount of sprites.
it was this part:

Also I want to know if there is any reason, why the yoshi coin in the blue section looks normal and it looks pretty messed up in the red and green section?

Another thing I recognized this playthrough is that this platform is kind of small. Can you put two pipes there or put a small amount of ground at the area?


Last thing: The first 2 bullet bills in the sloped area of the blue level are still pretty hard to avoid, because you only see them after you already adjusted your jump. Can you do something about that?

Sorry for adding so much stuff I could have seen earlier, but some things aren't that bad, when you play it the first time. And by fixing some other flaws, those minor things seem more bothersome than before.


Man you really you are the best.

So the slow down...for some reason I never got that. But it should be fixed now. Sprites have been reduced to almost none, so the only thing you have to worry about is good ol' Lakitu. One thing I thought was that it was the slow auto scroll causing so many spinys to pile up, thus causing the slow down.

Also, there's a simple explanation to why the Yoshi coins are like that. *drum roll* I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE PALLETS hehe. That is fixed now. (And if you're asking why the yoshi coins are messed up, the reason is is that the coin pallets also use the pallets for the layer 2 ground in the Red room. I didn't want everything to be black and then have a random yellow floating platform...ruins everything.)

As for the platform in the first area, it's fixed. To be honest I thought it would be a simple jump but I see now how some players can screw that up.

And for the bullet bills; they're gone. Yup, they died and now they turned into boos and have formed an alliance in some sort of geometrical fashion.

Shall I do the routine updated link and "hey go ahead and play again if you want" banter? #tb{^^}
I think there are only two things left this time ;)

1. The name
I don't know if there is a pun hidden in it, but shouldn't it be called
"The Dark Dimension"? Also the level is still called "A stroll" ingame.

2.

Don't you think this is a bit to much? I think this part would be better without the shell kicking koopa. It still takes some skill to dodge the rest of the enemies.

You did a pretty good job with it. I hope we can see some more levels made by you in the future #tb{:)}

--------------------
My Youtube channel

Currently working on:
Project C

Finished project:
Originally posted by NGB
I think there are only two things left this time ;)

1. The name
I don't know if there is a pun hidden in it, but shouldn't it be called
"The Dark Dimension"? Also the level is still called "A stroll" ingame.

2.

Don't you think this is a bit to much? I think this part would be better without the shell kicking koopa. It still takes some skill to dodge the rest of the enemies.

You did a pretty good job with it. I hope we can see some more levels made by you in the future #tb{:)}


I forgot how to words, it's fixed now.

Also, koopa is removed. That area was supposed to be easily avoid if you just duck right next to the first cement block, but of course what player would actually figure that out? Koopa shell kicker removed. :)

Thank you so much for all your help.
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/595910/The-Dark-Dimension-ips.html
I didn't see anything that can be seen as bad, so I guess you're ready to go ;)
Maybe some other users can give you feedback as well or you can ask someone from the tester forum. Just watch for the date the user did his last action here, because some of the users didn't come back for to smwc for at least one year.

--------------------
My Youtube channel

Currently working on:
Project C

Finished project:
It's been a while, but I finally submitted it, thanks for all your help NGB.
Pages: « 1 » Link
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - The 8th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest - The Dark Dimension v1.6

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2022 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks