Banner
Views: 854,134,395
Time:
10 users online: Dan Drigues, Eduard, Green Jerry, IceFreaki, Janno27,  KevinM, MrDeePay, NewPointless, panterajk2000, Retr0_Dave - Guests: 43 - Bots: 72 Users: 47,131 (2,481 active)
Latest: drr
Tip: Verify your ROM is unedited by using ROMclean.Not logged in.
Mario's 100s challenge [Demo 3,1!]
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Mario's 100s challenge [Demo 3,1!]
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
This is my SMW hack, where Mario only has 100seconds(or less) to beat the level. There are few stuff added like wall-jumping and raccoon Mario. Right now I have two and half worlds done(grass, underground and ice), Im planning to have four worlds+special world, with at least 6 levels each(not counting switch places, toad houses and bonus levels).

Please read whole thread for more/newer pics and whatnot.






Click to download latest demo(beta 2.2) (11.7.2015).

Any feedback, suggestions etc are welcome #ab{:)}.

--------------------




Originally posted by KDeee
mostly semi-vanilla


I don't know exactly how does this count as "mostly semi-vanilla".
Originally posted by Mindevous
Originally posted by KDeee
mostly semi-vanilla


I don't know exactly how does this count as "mostly semi-vanilla".

Mostly semi-vanilla != pure vanilla, Unless vanilla is considered these days to be 100% level hacks and nothing else.

But anyway, what I ment is that there's isn't really any major changes or anything mind-blowing.

--------------------




So basically you're using SMAS graphics, but the hack is going to be pretty much vanilla design-wise? Interesting. I honestly was expecting something different, but as long as it's fun it's fine I guess.

It looks pretty good so far, the levels seem pretty fun and the graphics work pretty well, even if they're nothing special.
Click to download demo

Any feedback, suggestions etc are welcome #ab{:)}.


Originally posted by Eternity
So basically you're using SMAS graphics, but the hack is going to be pretty much vanilla design-wise? Interesting. I honestly was expecting something different, but as long as it's fun it's fine I guess.

It looks pretty good so far, the levels seem pretty fun and the graphics work pretty well, even if they're nothing special.


Mm something like that, and thanks #ab{^_^}.

--------------------




Pretty good use of SMAS graphics. I've seen levels with 100 seconds in hacks, even in original games (I remember an e-world level with 100s where you had to rush through the whole castle).

So far it looks fun to play. I think you can go with extra gimmicks here, in example; getting a Yoshi to collect berries to pass a more lengthy level.

Nice so far.
Originally posted by Wormer21
Pretty good use of SMAS graphics. I've seen levels with 100 seconds in hacks, even in original games (I remember an e-world level with 100s where you had to rush through the whole castle).

So far it looks fun to play. I think you can go with extra gimmicks here, in example; getting a Yoshi to collect berries to pass a more lengthy level.

Nice so far.

Thanks. Yeah the concept has been done before, even by nintendo(sma4 e-reader level, 3D land/world), but it was originally inspirited by Googies 'Mario in time is ticking' hack back in 2008 or so.

Also theres video of my playthrough for lazy people.

--------------------




I decided to go with more smb3 feel by adding some custom sprites, which obliviously are from smb3(few smb2 sprites too).

Anyhow, have some screenshots:





--------------------




So it's going to be much like New Super Luigi U? I know that game was based around timed challenges.

As for the graphics, I look at them and I'm reminded of those 2008/2009 hacks that strived for an SMAS/SMB3 style, which I remember being very common for some time. It's okay, but some of the graphics could use a bit of work, namely the cement block in the cave screenshot looks really bad (why not just use a wooden block?) and I don't think the seaweed should look that color either. Maybe it's just me, but the underwater ground looks a bit off the way it's arranged...

Other than that, it is nice to see someone utilizing the timer as an integral element of their hack as opposed to it just being there.

--------------------

My Let's Play channel (Current LP: Final Fantasy VI, MegaMari)
Originally posted by GeminiRage
So it's going to be much like New Super Luigi U? I know that game was based around timed challenges.

As for the graphics, I look at them and I'm reminded of those 2008/2009 hacks that strived for an SMAS/SMB3 style, which I remember being very common for some time. It's okay, but some of the graphics could use a bit of work, namely the cement block in the cave screenshot looks really bad (why not just use a wooden block?) and I don't think the seaweed should look that color either. Maybe it's just me, but the underwater ground looks a bit off the way it's arranged...

Other than that, it is nice to see someone utilizing the timer as an integral element of their hack as opposed to it just being there.

I havent played NSLU since I hate everything about "new" series(physics, ugly artstyle, music for most part..) so I didnt know that. I went for mostly smb3 because its my favorite mario game, its probably overused but I cant into pixel-art/drawing(and theres not that much of choice anyway) so its good enough for me.

Oh yeah I forgot about tileset and palette problem, I've fixed them now:


Cement block is just recolored cement block from yoshis island, but I guess I can change it to wood block.



--------------------




I liked the screens,the 100 second run challenge you said will do a touck of New Super Luigi U on the hack.
I will download the demo to play,the design of the levels looks good too.
I still working in a smb3 styled hack too,but I'd not created a thread for the hack yet...
Well,continue with the good work,I hope see
So SMB3 is the choice of graphics here. Not a bad choice considering that they always seem good no matter how much they are used. #tb{:j} Looking into the level design from what I can see, it does seem to be typical level design with nothing mind blowing yet, but I urge you to be careful in some areas by not leaving sprites in the open which does not really create a good impression (in my opinion). As for the cement blocks, please choose a palette that would fit in well with the rest of the level palette (as in, don't pick the lower-left brown block in your group of blocks screenshot for example).

Good luck on this!

(click here if pic above doesnt show up).

Gif this time, showing exanimation on overworld(layer3 palette and layout of OW itself are not final).

--------------------




How do you use ExAnimation on the overworld?
Looks really nice imo.
Originally posted by S.R.H.
How do you use ExAnimation on the overworld?
Looks really nice imo.

I used this, it was bit annoying to set up but ended up looking better than before(where only level tiles, water and those dots were animated).

--------------------




Yes, but how? I also tried to use it, but all I get is just black tiles. Asking you, because nobody helps me.
Originally posted by S.R.H.
Yes, but how? I also tried to use it, but all I get is just black tiles. Asking you, because nobody helps me.

Well this is not right place to ask, it did work for me almost as-is so its in your end.


Anyway, I made some animations smoother and some slower, looks bit better now:


Click if pic above doesnt show up

--------------------




Wow, it moves everywhere! The overworld looks very vivid thanks to these ExAnimation, and the hack in general really feels like SMB3.
The way you use the timer is very interesting, I didn't saw this in any other hack.
Good job! #wario{:peace:}
Yeah, you did a really good job on recreating the SMB3 atmosphere. Nice OW!
@Eminus @Wormer21 Thanks #ab{:)} .

Time for update:


This is dumb bonus level I've been working on, you have to collect 50 coins within the time limit to complete. First one is about jumping on note blocks and in second one you have to avoid tetris blocks(vertical autoscroller, hence no time-limit), or just break them #ab{:P} .


More or less completed OW, Layer3's palette is different depending what world you are in. (ignore marios and coin counter positions for now).



Random screenshots from world2 in random order.

--------------------




Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Mario's 100s challenge [Demo 3,1!]

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy