Welcome to our hack thread! Here you will find regular (and not-so-regular) updates on Extra Mario World, which is going to be the best ROM hack of all time. It is being developed by Team Välfärd, currently consisting of Von Fahrenheit, PercentN, and Eminus. I'm the programmer and they're the artists. Ruberjig is the one making our amazing soundtrack.
But that's enough about us, you're here for the hack! The "story" for the hack (they all need to have one, am I right) is that in an alternate universe, Bowser never conquered Dinosaur Land because it was taken by an even bigger bad by the name of the Dark Lord. Mario can't possibly beat him alone, which brings me to the list of features:
- Co-operative multiplayer with several playable characters of incredibly high quality. Of a planned 6, 3 are currently playable.
- An upgrade system that makes use of Yoshi Coins. After you collect enough you can buy an upgrade from an NPC in your home base (yes, you get a home base).
- A very versatile difficulty selection. When you create your file you choose between Easy, Normal, and Insane, which affect enemy power and AI. In addition to that you can also choose to individually activate challenge modes such as enabling timers on levels (they are off by default), dying in one hit, playing without checkpoints, and so on.
- A new sprite engine written by me that lets sprites be more advanced than ever before.
- Great backgrounds drawn by PercentN. Many of these also have really neat HDMA effects on them as an enhancement.
- A bunch of new custom sprites. They're drawn by Eminus and programmed by me. Many of them are dynamic due to the detailed animations.
- An original soundtrack by Ruberjig.
- Some fancy graphical effects such as psuedo-5bpp portraits and the fanciest status bar you've seen in your life.
- An entire game's worth of content (probably about 80-90 levels, depending on how you define one level).
Videos and Trailers
In this section you can see videos from different points in development. The more recent a video is, the more accurately it shows how the hack looks now. This list is what we are the most excited to show off but you can find some more on our YouTube channels ;)
SUMMER C3 2018 TRAILER
2018-01-12: Realm 2 Gameplay and Tar Creeper
2017-07-08: Evernight Temple Exterior
2017-07-08: Leeway vs Adept Shaman
2016-07-10: Realm 1 Gameplay and Miniboss
2016-04-16: Co-op against 1st boss on insane
2015-08-12: Day-night transition
Enemy Spotlight: Tar Creeper
don't sue us blizzard
What's this? It's an insanely overly complex sprite we've made! It's the Tar Creeper and it's meaner than the smell of Kamek's old undies! It moves around and blocks players with its size-shifting hands. It remembers any ledge it sees and is happy to toss you down one. Jumping on it doesn't hurt it, but it doesn't like it either so it blocks you from above too. This can be used to your advantage however, as the Tar Creeper might just be willing to carry you across some spikes if it means getting rid of you later.
While the mighty Tar Creeper can't be killed by conventional means, it does have one ultimate weakness: it is made of tar. Which is very flammable.
Note: the Tar Creeper uses a vector system that can apply force to objects like players and sprites without altering the speed registers. This interaction is still a little buggy with Mario. The reason the enemy is so complicated is its dynamic tilemap generation to account for every possible arm angle, hand angle and hand position, as well as these interacting with players. It's also pretty smart and is able to block both players regardless of how they approach it.
Message box and 5bpp portraits:
3D underwater background:
Blue kicker koopa that holds fire until a player steps into line of sight:
Questions and Answers
Q: Will resources from this hack be released?
A: Yes. After the release of the hack we plan to release a kind of "Extra Mario World pack" that contains usable versions of some of the unique things we've made. Some sprites might be a bit inflexible due to how much they rely on custom patches though.
Q: When will the hack be finished?
A: Haha... hahahaha! I honestly don't know. Hopefully before 2022. I'd say 2021 is pretty likely and 2020 is a long-shot.
Q: It's been a really long time since you released the last demo (Winter C3 2016). When can I try the hack again?
A: At the moment we're juggling a lot of loose ends of unfinished content. We hope to have a really good demo out by Winter C3 2019.
Q: Can I hug you guys?
A: Yes. Yes you can. Because I love you.
Realm 1: An Island's Dark Fate
Extra Mario World takes place in the same place as Super Mario World, but in an alternate universe. In this alternate universe Bowser was tossed out of Dinosaur Land by a totally mysterious
villain going by the name of the Dark Lord. This guy is about as bad as they come, and quickly conquered the entire continent. In due time you'll find that the world is a lot different from how you remember it in SMW. World 1 is what used to be Yoshi's Island, now Rex Island. How did this happen? Well, the Rex teamed up with the Dark Lord and killed all the Yoshi. Yup. Here's some screenshots from this area:
Realm 2: The Crossroads of Destiny
In the lands that you might remember as the Donut Plains, two lazy rulers lurk in their tower, ever surrounded by a fierce tempest. The Crossroads forever change the fate of whoever travels through. Is it the bizarre characters, the dangerous monsters or the sexy mountains
that do it? No one knows. What is known, however, is that the Crossroads is a vast and diverse region full of magic and wonder. After dealing with an endless supply of varying Rex for all of Realm 1 as well as recruiting one for yourself, it's very refreshing to encounter more classic creatures. The inhabitants of the Crossroads range from renegade koopas that deserted Bowser's army to penguin hermits and wandering moles. So let loose and take part of the realm's fine scenery and groovy jams