Welcome to our hack thread! Here you will find regular (and not-so-regular) updates on Extra Mario World, which is going to be the best ROM hack of all time. It is being developed by Team Välfärd, currently consisting of Von Fahrenheit, PercentN, and Eminus. I'm the programmer and they're the artists. Ruberjig is the one making our amazing soundtrack.
We are looking for level designers to join our team. If you think you have what it takes, hit us up and we'll discuss details!
But that's enough about us, you're here for the hack! The "story" for the hack (they all need to have one, am I right) is that in an alternate universe, Bowser never conquered Dinosaur Land because it was taken by an even bigger bad by the name of the Dark Lord. Mario can't possibly beat him alone, which brings me to the list of features:
- Co-operative multiplayer with several playable characters of incredibly high quality. Of a planned 6, 3 are currently playable.
- An upgrade system that makes use of Yoshi Coins. After you collect enough you can buy an upgrade from an NPC in your home base (yes, you get a home base).
- A very versatile difficulty selection. When you create your file you choose between Easy, Normal, and Insane, which affect enemy power and AI. In addition to that you can also choose to individually activate challenge modes such as enabling timers on levels (they are off by default), dying in one hit, playing without checkpoints, and so on.
- A new sprite engine written by me that lets sprites be more advanced than ever before.
- Great backgrounds drawn by PercentN. Many of these also have really neat HDMA effects on them as an enhancement.
- A bunch of new custom sprites. They're drawn by Eminus and programmed by me. Many of them are dynamic due to the detailed animations.
- An original soundtrack by Ruberjig.
- Some fancy graphical effects such as psuedo-5bpp portraits and the fanciest status bar you've seen in your life.
- An entire game's worth of content (probably about 80-90 levels, depending on how you define one level).
Videos and Demos
In this section you can find our most recent demo and see videos from different points in development. The more recent a video is, the more accurately it shows how the hack looks now. This list is what we are the most excited to show off but you can find some more on our YouTube channels ;)
REALM 2 DEMO (Winter C3 2019)
SUMMER C3 2018 TRAILER
2018-01-12: Realm 2 Gameplay and Tar Creeper
2017-07-08: Evernight Temple Exterior
2017-07-08: Leeway vs Adept Shaman
2016-07-10: Realm 1 Gameplay and Miniboss
2016-04-16: Co-op against 1st boss on insane
2015-08-12: Day-night transition
Message box and 5bpp portraits:
3D underwater background:
Blue kicker koopa that holds fire until a player steps into line of sight:
Questions and Answers
Q: Will resources from this hack be released?
A: Yes. After the release of the hack we plan to release a kind of "Extra Mario World pack" that contains usable versions of some of the unique things we've made. Some sprites might be a bit inflexible due to how much they rely on custom patches though.
Q: When will the hack be finished?
A: Hopefully during 2021.
Q: Why is your team so small?
A: We're actually looking for level designers right now. If you think you have what it takes, hit us up!
Realm 1: An Island's Dark Fate
Extra Mario World takes place in the same place as Super Mario World, but in an alternate universe. In this alternate universe Bowser was tossed out of Dinosaur Land by a totally mysterious
villain going by the name of the Dark Lord. This guy is about as bad as they come, and quickly conquered the entire continent. In due time you'll find that the world is a lot different from how you remember it in SMW. World 1 is what used to be Yoshi's Island, now Rex Island. How did this happen? Well, the Rex teamed up with the Dark Lord and killed all the Yoshi. Yup. Here's some screenshots from this area:
Realm 2: The Crossroads of Destiny
In the lands that you might remember as the Donut Plains, two lazy rulers lurk in their tower, ever surrounded by a fierce tempest. The Crossroads forever change the fate of whoever travels through. Is it the bizarre characters, the dangerous monsters or the sexy mountains
that do it? No one knows. What is known, however, is that the Crossroads is a vast and diverse region full of magic and wonder. After dealing with an endless supply of varying Rex for all of Realm 1 as well as recruiting one for yourself, it's very refreshing to encounter more classic creatures. The inhabitants of the Crossroads range from renegade koopas that deserted Bowser's army to penguin hermits and wandering moles. So let loose and take part of the realm's fine scenery and groovy jams