Banner
Views: 1,004,188,697
Time:
18 users online: 7 up,  Anorakun, cd722, CodeSynth, Dark Prince, diguitar, El Cuh Fermin, FrozenQuills, Fullcannon, katun24, MarioSonic4life, Neuromancer, OhMuramatsu,  PermaBan, Ringo, TheOrangeToad, underway, Vanessa - Guests: 79 - Bots: 104 Users: 54,870 (2,025 active)
Latest: flynn 3of3
Tip: Before asking for help on the forums, make sure you've tried to figure out the problem on your own first.
Not logged in.
Super Wakana Land - Hack is ready for C3, final testing needed
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Super Wakana Land - Hack is ready for C3, final testing needed
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 » Link
Hey there.

If you peeked C3 stuff, you probably saw this and, probably, played the demo relased for the occasion. I'm making this thread in order to show you more while I'll develop this hack.

I have done a few changes since the demo:
- There is some sort of story now:
Wakana's donation box is missing, and since it means a lot to her (she inherited the box from her ancestors), she starts searching for the culprit. When she is almost giving up, someone reveals her some characteristics of who the culprit would've been. The brief description suggests Wakana someone who she already met before...

- New "Danmaku" system!!111. Ok, exhaggerated, but now Wakana's fireballs will look like actual energy projectiles and not just puny tiny fireballs. Still kind of buggy, but will see what to do about it.
- Applied some fixes addressed in the C3 thread, like some sections being adjusted a bit, the red HDMA in the castle doing weird flickering, and much more.

I also announce a demo of it being submitted soon: the C3 ips was kind of poor in my opinion (lack of story and some flaws mainly), so I didn't submit officially. Once I get it tested by a few people and making the last fixes, I'll probably submit it. It won't be a lenghty hack, probably it won't have more than 7 exits.

Leaving some screens for starting this out:



A link for the C3 demo in case someone wants to play it here.
And also an userbar made by cutie Underway, get it here:



Comments and feedback appreciated, thanks in advance! Don't expect this thread being perticularly active with updates, since right now I'm more focused on Touhou Mario 2.
It looks pretty good, although the plot is kind of odd. Couldn't you just make another one, unless the donation box already had a bunch of money in it, or it's sacred? At least it's not "Peach is missing" again.. But besides that, the screenshots make it look pretty good if you ask me! The overworld submap looks very, well, straightforward, though, since it's mostly just a straight line to the castle, unless you plan to go down. But besides that, it's looking good so far!

--------------------
I have a DeviantArt, if you do want to see my art on there. I don't really visit it much now, though.
Wow master! You are TRULY strong! :3
The OC clashes too much with the smw enemy graphics.

Edit: Actually, there's a lot of graphic clashing in general.
Originally posted by cheeyev
It looks pretty good, although the plot is kind of odd. Couldn't you just make another one, unless the donation box already had a bunch of money in it, or it's sacred? At least it's not "Peach is missing" again..
I'll try my best about it. I'm not very good at making stoires, but I'll sure try to develop it in a better way so that it doesn't sound so odd.
Also thanks for the kind words.

Originally posted by Hakureiano
Wow master! You are TRULY strong! :3
Hehe x3. As I said in the C3 thread, I'll also try adding more features to Wakana, such as a dash attack, ground pounding, and many others. I hope to not end up crashing everything though, lol.

Originally posted by Mogsiah
The OC clashes too much with the smw enemy graphics.

Edit: Actually, there's a lot of graphic clashing in general.
While I replaced some of the original ones, they're still supposed to be a placeholder.
I'm also not very sure about your second statement.
I really dislike the OC. Her design is really lacking: muddy, samey colors, boring clothing (not sure what you can do about that, though, considering smw's limitations), not to mention her face looks just like my avatar's.
Originally posted by Wakana
I'm also not very sure about your second statement.

It's 100% true, though.

--------------------
The reason being is that the OC is hand drawn, while from the looks of things, everything else is ripped: Clashing is to be expected.

@Magiluigi: The player's graphics were designed based on the following image, colors and everything. I wouldn't say it's muddy, I say it's different. Considering your experience, I'm aware that you know that not everything is shiny, sometimes darkness creeps in.


Originally posted by Magiluigi
not to mention her face looks just like my avatar's.

And every other anime (girl) out there... the above statement gives me the impression of egotism, correct me if I'm wrong. which is reason enough to void said statement meaningless.

Following Magi's statement, Wakana, there are going to be those who dislike and those who love it; it's up to you whether you want to listen to one or the other: I've learned the hard way you can't please everyone, and if you do try to, you're just going to develop a shell that will simply shut out everybody. That's practically why I will not change anything somebody dislikes, like Story for example.

As far as your story, people get butthurt when a serious story is attempted, and when a satirical story is attempted... they're butthurt? Which is it!? While it will need a bit more development, I think it's just fine.
Originally posted by mogsiah
Edit: Actually, there's a lot of graphic clashing in general.


It's not just the OC clashing graphics, it is a lot of things. Some GFX are very detailed like the first level's and possibly the cave's, then you get very simple gfx like the Ardy Lightfoot Castle stuff which seems simple compared to some other graphics.

There is also that vanilla SMW L3 background in there too, which is a nono, in any ExGFX hack, vanilla GFX normally don't fit unless they are in the SMW style, but these clearly are not.

The bonus room FG is also super simple compared to other graphics, as well as the enemies, may need some small tinkering, but not too much, just something to rather help I think, but they aren't that big a deal. Most of it is a work in progress, I would expect it to change much like Touhou Mario.

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
Originally posted by Skewer
The reason being is that the OC is hand drawn, while from the looks of things, everything else is ripped: Clashing is to be expected.

You can still pick graphics that go well together even if you're using ripped stuff (but honestly, what clashes the most is the SMW stuff, but they're all placeholders so I guess it's ok).

Originally posted by Skewer
The player's graphics were designed based on the following image

Huh, so what I said about SMW's limits is actually true; her dress looks way nicer in that pic (good to know!).

Originally posted by Skewer
I wouldn't say it's muddy, I say it's different.

No but consider this: it really is muddy.

Originally posted by Skewer
I'm aware that you know that not everything is shiny, sometimes darkness creeps in.

O... kay...? But that (whatever you mean by that statement ?_?) doesn't excuse poor color choices.

Originally posted by Skewer
And every other anime (girl) out there... the above statement gives me the impression of egotism.

And the above statement gives me the impression of visual impairment.


About the story, I'm honestly all for a silly plot (especially for a romhack), if only because it makes the game not take itself too seriously and may make the author put more focus on gameplay.

--------------------
Originally posted by Magiluigi
You can still pick graphics that go well together even if you're using ripped stuff (but honestly, what clashes the most is the SMW stuff, but they're all placeholders so I guess it's ok).

Demo's generally are full of placeholders. It's best not to even talk about them considering the fact they're planned to be replaced in the first of conditions.


Originally posted by Magiluigi
Huh, so what I said about SMW's limits is actually true; her dress looks way nicer in that pic (good to know!).

Oh yes, 32x32 severely limits what you can do with a player character. Trying to work anti-aliasing into sprite work is a bitch.


Originally posted by Magiluigi

No but consider this: it really is muddy.

I will now say that I'm interpreting muddy as something else.


Originally posted by Magiluigi
O... kay...? But that (whatever you mean by that statement ?_?) doesn't excuse poor color choices.

Thank the heavens this can be easily corrected should Wakana feel the need to adhere to one person's opinions. That being said, I, as one person, like the colors.


Considering I actually am visually impaired, I do not find this statement offensive at all. Why else do you think my art turns out so much different from others?


Originally posted by Magiluigi
About the story, I'm honestly all for a silly plot (especially for a romhack), if only because it makes the game not take itself too seriously and may make the author put more focus on gameplay.

Silly plots are fun.

This will be my last response on this matter, as I'm sure Wakana does not to want to wake up to her thread being a back and forth from me and yourself. So I'll let you have the final word.
By muddy, I think he means they have no real contrast from each other or that they blend very well together to the point there is no differentiation.

Originally posted by Skewer
Oh yes, 32x32 severely limits what you can do with a player character.

No it doesn't, it is the palette. 32x32 gives a lot more potential than 16x32.

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
Originally posted by Skewer
blatantly obvious white-knighting

lol
Originally posted by Mogsiah
Originally posted by Skewer
blatantly obvious white-knighting

lol

Originally posted by S.N.N.
News: nice
Henceforth, replying to any post with nothing more than the word "nice" or a loopholed you-think-you're-being-witty-but-you're-not variation of it will result in an immediate three day ban. Yes, this has seriously become this large of a problem and it's going to stop.

And since some of you still apparently think this is a joke and are trying to push your luck: it's not. If you absolutely must get it out of your system for good, here's a thread for you.

Have a great day.

amhedit: In case this isn't clear, we're using "nice" as an example. This goes for all shitposting in general.

Let this serve as an example to anyone else thinking they're being funny too.

--------------------
Your layout has been removed.
I wouldn't go so far as to call that white-knighting. It's one thing to have an opinion, but to talk down to someone as if your way is the right way and their way is wrong, that's going beyond constructive criticism and just imposing your ideals upon someone else.

Anyways, let's just stop this nonsense and actually talk about the hack?

For what you have to show Wakana, it looks good. I wasn't too sure what to think when I heard you were using a 32x32 character (I've never been too fond of those), but you seem to have incorporated the flying element well--which I can assure you having used it for my own hack is not an easy thing to accomplish, and I have only recently learned the secret to properly designing levels with flight in mind.

So how much more do you have planned for the hack in the upcoming months?

--------------------
I remember checking out the C3 thread for this hack. It's still looking just as promising, so now that it's up here, I think I'll weigh in on it.

First off, all in all, this looks great. I'm not going to complain about anything graphical, really. If these are placeholders like you said, then what's there to complain about? I'm honestly not seeing too much graphical clash in these screens, either; not on an egregious DKC-backgrounds-with-SMW-foregrounds level, anyway. And I wouldn't call the Ardy Lightfoot tileset simple, either. The only issue I can see is that it has a decent amount of outlining, while the other graphics (mostly from Jelly Boy) don't seem to. Harping on that would be nitpicking, though, and it's your choice whether to replace or doctor any of it.

IMO, those dithered green pipes are the only thing that really don't seem to fit in among the rest of the scene they're in, but I'm assuming those are some of the placeholders you mentioned. Otherwise, I don't see much cause for complaint.

The OC has been getting some flak lately. I honestly don't see what everyone's issue is with her. She's your character; you designed her, so stick with the way you imagine her. The only criticism I can really offer is her face -- I'm having serious trouble making out any of her facial features. Right now all I can see is some one-eyed creature, like Demo from A Super Mario Thing! Maybe make her eyes a little more prominent?

Keep up the good work, Wakana, and don't worry too much about the insanity that's erupted here in your thread. Only make the changes you feel your hack needs.

--------------------
tired: 'JOYCON BOYZ'
wired: 'The Fellowship of the Switch'
Originally posted by WeegeeBen
Right now all I can see is some one-eyed creature, like Demo from A Super Mario Thing! Maybe make her eyes a little more prominent?


If you think it'd be better for her other eye to show, I could go back and add an additional eye to her face; but then she would really look like Magiluigi's avatar then. Also, the one eye on display is a common design trick used in doujin-game characters. Take a look at Super Marisa Land or RosenkruezStillete, which I drew inspiration from when drawing these kind of characters. Drawing the PC was pretty difficult, but an additional eye isn't a problem if Wakana wants it done.
This looks really cool. I liked your past work so I have high hope for this. Good luck. :)
RMG Productions
Do pardon me being late, but everyone is allowed to make opinions/criticisms, and in this case, Wakana is not immune to such criticisms/opinions.

While I can't drop much info, I too agree with Magi and Mogsiah, that there is a lot of graphic clashing. Each screenshot features a different graphic and there is no consistency in them.
Sponsored by your local carniceria
Oh my, that's a lot of feedback. Thank you everyone who gave detailed feedback.

Originally posted by WeegeeBen
The only criticism I can really offer is her face -- I'm having serious trouble making out any of her facial features. Right now all I can see is some one-eyed creature, like Demo from A Super Mario Thing! Maybe make her eyes a little more prominent?
I'll see about that: I'm actually okay with how her face looks, but trying doesn't hurt, I guess.

Same for her palettes, I'll try making the colors look less muddy.

Originally posted by antimatterhunter
It's not just the OC clashing graphics, it is a lot of things. Some GFX are very detailed like the first level's and possibly the cave's, then you get very simple gfx like the Ardy Lightfoot Castle stuff which seems simple compared to some other graphics.

There is also that vanilla SMW L3 background in there too, which is a nono, in any ExGFX hack, vanilla GFX normally don't fit unless they are in the SMW style, but these clearly are not.

The bonus room FG is also super simple compared to other graphics, as well as the enemies, may need some small tinkering, but not too much, just something to rather help I think, but they aren't that big a deal. Most of it is a work in progress, I would expect it to change much like Touhou Mario.
As I said before, many things are placeholder. Silly me for not pointing out it's not just sprites, but some vanilla gfx as well (layer3, pipes, etc...).
I also agree about the bonus room; I'll probably replace the whole graphics set there. Although I'm not sure about the castle, it's not this clashy imo. Either way, I'll see what I can do about it.

Originally posted by RealMarioGamer
This looks really cool. I liked your past work so I have high hope for this. Good luck. :)
Thank you very much for the kind words. I'll try to not disappoint! #thp{;)}

Originally posted by Kagami Hiiragi
Do pardon me being late, but everyone is allowed to make opinions/criticisms, and in this case, Wakana is not immune to such criticisms/opinions.
Who said I'm immune? If I didn't want criticism, I wouldn't have created this thread.

Originally posted by GeminiRage
So how much more do you have planned for the hack in the upcoming months?
Well, not much I guess. I'm pretty busy these days (due to le exams), and the little free time I'm finding is being spent for Touhou Mario 2. Once this month passes, I'll be more free, and so, showing more updates...hopefully.

Other feedback more than appreciated, thanks in advance!

EDIT: I don't feel like leaving no updates, so for now I'm showing the first part of a cloud level. This one is after the castle level, and in the demo it wasn't included...due to me being lazy to design it.
CLICK!
You can also see some Danmaku action there. =w=
Ah, and note that the red ? block is a placeholder. I can't find that block which is solid for Mario but not for sprites. If someone finds it, let me know, thanks.

Share what you think so far, thanks.

EDIT2: I also tried messing Wakana's palette:

Before -> After
I hope it looks less muddy now. Let me know if it's better/worse/still muddy.
Originally posted by Wakana
Ah, and note that the red ? block is a placeholder. I can't find that block which is solid for Mario but not for sprites. If someone finds it, let me know, thanks.

Here is a block that is solid to Mario and passable to sprites:

Code
;behaves #$25
db $42
JMP MarioBelow : JMP MarioAbove : JMP MarioSide : JMP SpriteV : JMP SpriteH
JMP MarioCape : JMP MarioFireBall : JMP TopCorner : JMP HeadInside : JMP BodyInside

MarioAbove:
MarioBelow:
MarioSide:
TopCorner:
HeadInside:
BodyInside:
MarioFireBall: ;feel free to move this label if you want passable to fireball.
LDY #$01
LDA #$30
STA $1693

SpriteV:
SpriteH:
MarioCape:
RTL


To create an asm file, first create a text file, then follow this instruction to allow you to rename the file extension by putting the ".asm". And paste the code above.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 » Link
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Super Wakana Land - Hack is ready for C3, final testing needed

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2022 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks