Well, it is a shame that took me so long to make an official statement but yeah, this hack is cancelled.
At some point during development, I lost interest in finishing this project due to so many reasons that it would be a waste of time doing it. But incase you are curious, the reasons were:
- Some levels were impossible to replicate the layout;
- There were some gimmicks that were impossible to replicate;
- There were buggy patches/sprites and although I tried to ask for help/contact the authors countless times, I didn't received any support;
- Slowdown.... I tried my best to get rid of slowdown on my hack, I converted every address of sprites to FastROM addressing, used a bunch of patches to optimize things, but stil no effect. I probably should have started this project on a SA1 ROM -_-
- And the main reason: I lost interest in continuing it, at this point, who would care about a bunch of levels that would be much more enjoyable and playable on the original hardware... Nintendo recently ported all of these levels to a Virtual Console Edition of SMA4, even featuring the unreleased levels in America. So no point in making it for SNES.
I know there were two or three persons that actually cared about this project, I am really sorry but I tried my best in making it as enjoyable as possible. Because of that, I am releasing an IPS file with the latest working version on my project, this one have most levels playable (with some bugs, but still playable), so you can have an idea of how this hack would be if it was finished ^^.
Link for the IPS
You are free to use this hack as a base of your project, but I really don't recommend you doing it since you can easily screw the whole project without knowing which patches, sprites, limitations it have. And I am too lazy to explain it after months of inactivy.
Link for some resources
I am also releasing a bunch of patches I coded using SMWDISC, they are free to use, if you don't care please credit me when using it.
There is included an edited version of PowerUp Pack (version v1.1) with some modifications and with fully ported tilemaps and pallettes, so if you understand how I did it, you can use Super/Fire/Cape/Hammer/Racoon/Tanooki/Boomerang Mario in your own project! Obviously on my project I never used Bubble/Tiny/Cloud/Rocket/Shell Mario, so if you may have to make the Tilemap for these power-ups by yourself. If you use this in your project, remember to give me a credit xD. It was a pain to rearrange all of these Tilemaps properly.
If you find a bug, don't even care to tell me since I am a retired SMW Hacker. Try to ask support for the community and figure by yourself how to fix it.
There are much more patches that were being used in my project, but they are not made by me and the authors are currently inactive. Same applies to custom sprites and blocks. I have disassembled one or two sprites from latest version of Brutal Mario to use on my project, but these ones I can't release because they are not intended to be used without additional patches that I don't have permission to redistribute.
I have invested enough time on this project and I knew in the end I would face the limitations that without a lot of ASM knowledge I couldn't implement. Still, it was fun to make it ^^.
I would like to thank everybody who supported this project, and here are some people that helped in a way or another to make this hack reach this point:
- Ice Man
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- Blind Devil
Probably this my last attempt on making a SMW hack, since now I am a Retired SMW hacker
I will try to visit this site when I have free time, but only for saying Hi to the community!