Banner
Views: 854,141,531
Time:
13 users online: AnasMario130, Green Jerry,  KevinM,  Linkdeadx2, Medic, MegaSonic1999, mio, Moichumoi, msQED, Nint, PlagueRatofDoom, RaymanFan1995, wanderer136 - Guests: 43 - Bots: 76 Users: 47,132 (2,480 active)
Latest: Based Seraph
Tip: Bad things to do in the title demo: Enter a door or a pipe, activate a P-switch or a star, complete the level, hit a message block, or die. These will either glitch the music, or force the player into an endlessly looping title level until they reset the game.Not logged in.
A Plumber For All Seasons (blue ice, baby's got blue ice)
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - A Plumber For All Seasons (blue ice, baby's got blue ice)
Pages: « 1 213 14 15 16 17 18 »
This hack has some grat stuff! Those graphics are incredible! You're making a great work!
Glad you like it!

And after a somewhat busy Advent season, 3-6 is finally complete as well.



That leaves only one level in this world, and depending on how well that goes, I *might* have all of world 3 ready in time to show a trailer-ish thing on C3. Fingers crossed!

--------------------


 
Two questions:

1) These Fire Pumpkins can hurt the player? (Sprite or Layer 1/2?)
2) The Big Boo can blow the player? Why did you put this Big Boo's face?
Originally posted by Roberto zampari
1) These Fire Pumpkins can hurt the player? (Sprite or Layer 1/2?)

Yep, they're blocks that act like munchers.

Originally posted by Roberto zampari
2) The Big Boo can blow the player? Why did you put this Big Boo's face?

It's a normal Big Boo, I just gave it a funny face - it's like he's saying "oooooooo".

--------------------


 
I love the fire pumpkins. They are so rad looking haha

--------------------
Are you an ASM coder and want to trade "resources"? Private Message me for details.
(I also offer SMW Custom Songs in exchange for ASM! I don't do ports though unless it's to remix.)

Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading "resources" in exchange. 4 more left.




That Big Boo looks like something from a 1930s cartoon. I love it!
If you're questioning your gender or sexuality, if you need a place to vent, or if you simply need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.
Your art is excellent as always. I love the scenic glow cast by the flames in the second screenshot in particular.
Will these stages get names, or will they just be generic "World X - Level Y" kind of names?

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Originally posted by Kazzzy
Will these stages get names, or will they just be generic "World X - Level Y" kind of names?

Both, actually! I'll be giving all of them names, too, and definitely on the non-generic side.



I've never updated this thread since before C3, have I? Luckily there's been quite a bit of progress this past month - to be exact, world 3 is now fully finished! For those who haven't seen it at C3, here's the world 3 gameplay video (and for those who have, here it is again):



I also got the world 3 castle done (of which the second half was missing before C3):


And in the meantime, the world 3 boss is finally done as well! Took me long enough. It wasn't exceedingly hard to program, but I really took my time getting on with it because I know it's not really the most exciting of bosses, and definitely not a masterpiece. I think it turned out serviceable though, and I'm just glad to be able to check off world 3 for good now.

Which means I can move on to world 4, which is essentially the final world! (Come to think of it, I've never in my life worked on a fourth world before. This is the farthest my hacks have ever come.)

 

--------------------


 
Feels sureal to be starting world 4!



I spent today drawing the overworld, which was a lot less of a pain than I'd feared! On the Fall map I had to do a lot more manual pixel-level editing, but this time I could pretty much just take the painting and rip it. This is one of the rare occasions where something looks right on the first attempt (the snow might have come out cleaner if I had made a second attempt, but hey, I've got something now).

(feel free to ignore the fact that the mountain is a different color than usual, or that the trees were brown in Fall but are now apparently conifers. I figured it'd look better this way. #ab{^^;;;})

--------------------


 
I'm excited for winter the most!

Man, everytime I see those seasonal Marios in the thumbnails, it makes me wish they were playable. I'm sure worldpeace's costume system could be used here, but the bigger problem would be drawing the player frames 3 times.

I've enjoyed much of the design I've seen in the gameplay videos. That vertical level with the triple rotating platforms looked interesting. Looking forward to seeing world 4 stuff, good luck.
Man is this like, the last world or something? This has been quite the journey if it is. I remember seeing this slowly but surely progress throughout the years, and it still looks just as promising as it was before.

Definitely good luck with the project man, the wait is becoming worth it.

--------------------
Are you an ASM coder and want to trade "resources"? Private Message me for details.
(I also offer SMW Custom Songs in exchange for ASM! I don't do ports though unless it's to remix.)

Want progress on 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Go here to see.

Are you a sample porter and wanna help with 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition? Private Message me or Mellonpizza for details. Expect trading "resources" in exchange. 4 more left.




The visuals in this hack are simply stunning, I don't even understand how this is possible in SMW

--------------------
Hacks I'm working on:

your simplistic human mind cannot possibly comprehend the complexities of my thoughts
4-1 is in the works!


(slower walking pace, ~16MB)

The visual gimmick here is a slow transition to heavy snowfall. The effect is inspired by that in YI, as well as a time-of-day transition effect in some Brutal Mario demo.

To make this as smooth as possible I pulled pretty much all the stops - wave HDMA, thirteen different levels of snow intensity with smooth fading inbetween (slowly-increasing snow speed and on-the-fly palette changing to make the snow slowly fade from transparent to white), and the snow will stay even if you backtrack. Also note that the background gradient slightly changes over time!

This was definitely one of the more ambitious setups, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. #tb{:)} Now to draw some decoration and actually design the level!

--------------------


 
Holy mackerel, WYE. This is a stunning feat of wizardry. Ab-so-lutely jaw-droppingly gorgeous.
Holy Neptune, you never fail to surprise or impress me, WYE! I've never seen an effect getting more and more intense. I assume going in front of each fence strengthens the snowfall effect and brightens the gradient a bit.
I have a Discord server as well!

Back to working on my VLDC12 level!
Glad you like it! #tb{:D}

Originally posted by 7 up
I assume going in front of each fence strengthens the snowfall effect and brightens the gradient a bit.

Yep, although the fences are just a visual aid. I can set the breakpoints at whatever X positions I want.

--------------------


 
Will Mario's graphics change at this point? Considering your beautiful graphical style, Mario just seems off.
Originally posted by Mandagary
Will Mario's graphics change at this point? Considering your beautiful graphical style, Mario just seems off.

I do see the point, but I still don't plan on changing the player graphics, . I do plan to have an easter egg where the graphics are changed to the seasonal ones on the title screen though!




It's taken longer than I'd have liked it to, but the gimmick for 4-1 is now all done, including enemies!


(i think the gif might be a little glitchy, at least on discord it was)

This is a variety of snowmen - either running, jumping or throwing snowballs, and either equipped with carrot spikes or not. They're very simple sprites, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, and I think they'll make for at least a handful of interesting setups worthy of world four.

It's also worth comparing all this with a very similar level I made just about nine years ago, which also featured layer 3 snow effects and large snowman sprites. (Not from this hack of course, but for the 2011 winter contest - you can still download it if you want.) I think it's a bit of an improvement!



 

--------------------


 
I liked these snowmen enemies, they seems to be unique.
I wonder if there are new variants of these snowmen.
Perhaps a snowmen that chases Mario would be interesting.

Also, could these snowmen can also be defeated with fireballs?
You know, fire can melt ice and snowmen...
Pages: « 1 213 14 15 16 17 18 »
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - A Plumber For All Seasons (blue ice, baby's got blue ice)

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy