(Screenshots and TLDR below.)
It's been a loooooong while since I updated "the outside world" on the status of my game, Super Mario Legacy
. I think this is a nice moment to update you guys on the game and what it will look like, and in addition I'd like to thank some people, both on the Central and outside of it, for their continued support.
About the game:
Super Mario Legacy attempts to be a rich collection of colorful stages, in true "Nintendo style". The game's 75 stages are spread over nine game worlds, including a verdant garden, steaming hot pools, an expansive desert, and an icy mountain peak set in twilight, among others. The game draws inspiration from many Mario games, but Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island in particular. Stages tend to be significantly longer than SMW's stages, and most feature a relatively high sprite and object density.
The game is intended to be challenging. Although the game offers three seperate difficulty settings, even the easiest setting is harder than the standard SMW.
From a technical point of view, the game implements some fairly recent ASM advancements, such as the SA-1 chip, multiple midway points, and a custom status bar. All of these add to a smooth and pleasant game experience. There's also a fully functional build that omits the SA-1, intended for flash cart users.
From a community point of view, I intend to release the hack unprotected and with the Lunar Magic files required to properly view and work with the hack.
To conclude, I'm releasing a small sampler that includes three randomly selected stages: get!
Thanks for reading, and I wish you all a happy C3.
- 75 stages over 9 worlds. Might be reduced to 70 stages.
- 140 exits. Might be reduced to 130 exits.
- Three-tier difficulty system. Difficulty can be selected at start and affects sprite placement, powerup distribution, time limits, and powerdown behaviour.
- Multiple midway points per stage.
- Fully SA-1 powered, allowing for more sprites and more complex stage layouts.
- Colorful SMAS/Yoshi's Island-like graphics style.
- Tons of ASM enhancements, such as multiple midway-points.
- Hundreds of (custom) blocks and sprites.
- A small but enjoyable sound track, featuring many classics.
- Creation of 8 stages. All the others are done!
- Conversion of some ASM stuff to SA-1, being bomb block patch
, autosave patch
, and fire magikoopa
. If someone can help with this, let me know!
- Fixing layer 3 tides to stop scrolling when the screen is frozen.
- Credits sequence.
- Size optimization. The entire game almost fits on a 2MB image, so it would be wasteful to expand beyond that.
140 Exits. Difficulty selectable in-game. SA-1 powered. It's almost done. Need some help with minor ASM. Demo.