A bit late starting this, but welcome to the Summer 2016 ExGFX Contest
! I hope you guys have your drawing tools ready.
Your task is to draw graphics according to the given theme. Our theme for this contest will be: Water
! From the deep underwater, to above landscapes that feature it such as docks, or even a water hotel, as long as the main feature is the water.
Like last time, we're running two categories
: one for foregrounds, and one for backgrounds. You can submit both, but they will be judged separately. And like last time again, you can include Layer 3 in your entry. However, we will allow graphical edits on Sprites. How these two will be judged are explained later on below.
Submitting your entry:
All entries must be posted in this thread before the deadline. Your submission must include the following:
- Map16 page (.map16) for your FG and/or BG
- The sample level (.mwl) utilizing your FG and/or BG in around one and three screens. This is what we'll look for when we'll judge your submission
- Palette files (.pal and .palmask) for your FG and/or BG
- The ExGFX files
- If you have Layer 3/Sprites, all necessary files must be included too
Rules and Guidelines:
- No more than two Map16 pages may be used for each category
- Yo can't change any of the standard SMW graphics (coins, question blocks, etc)
- You may not change the palettes of said objects above
- You may not change the palettes of the status bar, player palette, message boxes, etc
- No ripped graphics
- Animation is allowed
- Anything submitted to this contest must be "new
"; it must be something you haven't already submitted to the site, or not something made prior to this contest.
There are 3 judges this time. Scoring will be given under the following categories:
- Overall design: 40
- Originality: 20
(scoring here is like out of 5, but in multiples of 4)
Layer 3 and/or Sprites will only be judged if they actually affect the looks of the graphics.
Point deductions will be taken from your overall design score from all the judges depending on the following:
- Map16 Page is missing any important tiles and it affects your graphics: -5
- Missing any files such as the palette files (.pal mainly) or the Map16 file (.map16): -5
- Missing an ExGFX file: Disqualified
Total score: 60
We're giving prizes to the winners of this contest. The choice is between a permanent custom title, or custom name color for a month. The second place gets the other prize. And as always, we'll distribute badges to every participants.
two three weeks
to work on your entry. The deadline is August 10, 12:00 PM EST
(to make things less confusing, I'll use a timezone everyone knows since I live in GMT+8). An extension for a week has been given. Please post your entries here only, and keep all discussion on the discussion thread