Round 001 Information: http://smwc.me/1366036
Welcome to The First Mad Scientist ASM Contest
! Finally an ASM contest where the main rule is: use ASM at will!
So are you interested in becoming the MAD SCIENTIST
? Interested to see new cool things
? Or just to watch how this contest will be progressing until the winners come out? Then follow me!
We're looking for a champion
. The best ASMer of the site. The one who will make big revolutions
. The one who will be the MAD ASM SCIENTIST
Do you want to be the THE ASM MASTER
? Then reply this thread
with the following keyword code somewhere in your post: DIGITAL MUNCHER TRANSMISSION
The signups will end in 168 HOURS
(1 week) from this post so make your timer!
How the contest will work
After 2-3 days the signups deadline, the ROUND 000
will start with a broad theme and you all will have 2 WEEKS FROM THE POST
to submit me though PM all resources used and detailed information of what you did. You can also submit a video file
showing your submission and that video will be uploaded to SMWC's YouTube channel.
After the deadline, the voting period will start. The entries will be judged by the public
and by our special invited judge
Because of that, you cannot hint at all your contest or you may get relative (percentage) points discount or even elimination. Pretty much like Idol. Each round will eliminate around 2 people until we get the GOLDEN ROUND
Together with public voting, we will also have a specialized judge, who its vote will have 20% weight over all votes
. That means someone's final score will be 20% from the judge and 80% from the public. The judge vote is only revealed after the voting period, so there is no influence from his choices to the public.
Our judge this time will be Roy
. One of the most experienced and old SMW ASM hackers ever, Roy is specialized in Mode 7
, ex-ASM Staff Member and made lot of contributions while he was an active SMW Hacker and moderator. He will be coming back just to help us making this contest even better.
Our winner will get a six month free name color
on the site. Additionally, the top three will be scored with a golden, silver and bronze trophy, respectively to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd position. The 4th and 5th position will get a honorable trophy
for the good performance. All the other legit contestants will get a participant trophy.
The Rule List
Here is the detailed rules for the contest. If something is not clear for you, feel free to discuss or ask here.
- Scoring method: Mario Kart styled; each placement values two points. That is, last place gets 0 points, (last place - 1) gets 2 points, (last place - 2) gets 4 points, etc. So if we have 10 people competing, the 1st would get 20 points, 2nd would get 18 points, etc. This is a linear scale.
- Final scores are converted to percentages. The percentage value is relative to the maximum score (1st) someone would get times the amount of votes.
- Bonus scores: For who reach in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, the participant will, respectively, 20%, 10% and 5% score bonus for the next round (that is, that bonus percentage scales its next round score). If there's less than 8 people participating, then only the first place will get a 10% score bonus for the next round.
- The bonus score is not valid for semifinals or finals.
- Each round will eliminate 0 to 2 people.
- In case someone didn't get eliminated due of the score bonus, the person below him (that is, the person who would get eliminated instead) WON'T be eliminated for the round.
- Judge scores have 20% weight over all votes.
- Judge scores are only revealed in the round results.
- Sending a submission too late (after the end of the round) without proper justification gets eliminated.
- In case someone don't submit a submission in time, that person must PM the contest manager for a extension bonus.
- For the every day late, the participant will lose 20% of the final score proportionally per day (that is, if the participant submits six hours later, the discount would be of 5%), plus 10% that the participant instantly loses after passing the deadline.
- Non-participants can send round suggestions to the contest manager.
- The participant can't leak his submission at all. In case a leak is proofed, the participant will get a 20% score discount.
- The participant must send all source files (sprites, tools, .asm files, etc.) to the contest manager, plus a patch that will be distributed though the round, without any traces at all.
- In case a trace is found, i.e. db "MY NAME" in the ROM file, the participant may get a 10% score discount.
- The contest manager will record a video of each entry and will upload to the SMWC YouTube channel. The video must contains all details regarding the submission, from all features to bugs found.
- The participant can send to the contest manager his own video.
- All legit participants will get a badge.
- The top five will get a different badge.
- 3rd/2nd/1st place will have its own badges for bronze, silver and gold respectively.
- The top three can get additional awards (money, games, software) if the PR Team has these available.
- The first place can get a six month name color if the PR Team agress so.
- In case the winner is a Staff Member, the free six month name color will be applied once he's no longer in the Staff Team.
- The contest themes will test the capability and creativity of the participants using ASM on the all cases.
- Thus any kind of ASM modality may be used during the contest: blocks, sprites, patches, codes, including specific PPU features (i.e. Mode 7) and enhancement chips.
- The ASM Requests Thread can be used as a round theme inspiration.
- The round duration can last from two to six weeks, depending of the theme complexity.
- If a considerable amount of participants agrees, a round can be extended for 1-2 weeks without point discount.
- Participants can freely used currently other people's resources as long if it's proper credited.
- However the other people's resources cannot drain more attention than the work itself made.
- Submitted resources must work on latest bsnes/higan accuracy.
- Incompatible submissions may get 30% score discount.
- In case latest bsnes/higan has a known bug which affects the submission performance, then the latest working version will be instead used for comparison.
- Active (non-eliminated) participants cannot vote in round votings, unless if it's a round theme voting or similar.
The Subscription List
That's all for now. Now let the games begin.