Banner
Views: 994,342,846
Time:
17 users online:  Abdu,  Ayami, BEESphilly, CaptainFebreze, FYRE150, Haithius, LaFumett,  Lazy, Lyphoon, MomentBruh, Natsu, OnlySpaghettiCode, Retro Master HD, Serge2122, SF - The Dark Warrior, TheOrangeToad, zEn - Guests: 78 - Bots: 144 Users: 54,518 (2,081 active)
Latest: LaFumett
Tip: If your level contains elements that temporarily change the music to a global song (such as a P-Switch or a Star), that music will not stop playing after the intended end time if the music bypass setting is set to 00.
Not logged in.
Ridiculously Bad Video Game Names
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Forum Graveyard - Media - Ridiculously Bad Video Game Names
Pages: « 1 2 » Link
As a sort of introduction to a video about really bad SMW hack names, if I ever do that, I'll share a few bad video game titles that may or may not be on store shelves. Preferably I'd like the ones that are in stores so more people can find them and laugh at them.

I'm hoping you guys can find me a few that Danger Dolan hadn't already covered in his top 30 dumbest video game titles, so here's a few to get the ball rolling.


Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed


Hello there Purple Heart, you're looking pretty. I'm not one to ridicule the Neptunia series, but it's pretty easy to see what's wrong with the title. At first glance, it looks like they finally made a port of Hyperdimension Neptunia for the NEXT Blanc, I mean... Wii U, but just look at the disclaimer they have up top, "Only on PlayStation".

Not everyone is as versed with their consoles as our current generation, so there must have been a few mix-ups on a few Christmases. I could totally imagine a clueless parent getting their kid this game if they're into RPGs, thinking it's for the Wii U, and then it's not, and boom, 60 bucks wasted! The kid will then be angry, and will have to trade this back to the store along with 2 other games to get something he can play.

It's not too uncommon to see games use the console that they're made for as a suffix or sometimes prefix. For example, on the Nintendo DS, we have Yoshi's Island DS, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii is for, well, the Nintendo Wii. This isn't that recent a tradition either. Various Super Nintendo titles prefixed the word Super, to help indicate that they are in fact made for the Super Nintendo. Take Super Metroid and Super Castlevania IV for example. Both super games by all means.

But here we see all that fall flat on its face. Looks like the Idea Factory was having a little malfunction in the nomenclature department that day.
It would essentially be like if Röyksopp called one of their recent albums Metallica.



Okay... whose album was this again?


N
That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Based on that one letter title, please, try to guess what the game's about.

Okay okay, N is an arcade style platformer where you have to control a stick figure ninja and guide him to the end of each of 5 rooms, which constitute one episode. Of course, all of which is done while avoiding hazards.

What does N mean? It is not the name of the main character. It refers to the way of the ninja, the way in which the main character lives. So you could say that N is a huge part of his identity, or even all of it.

The title won't tell you that, and it also won't tell you that this game is like hitting a brick wall in terms of difficulty level. It's one of the hardest games I've ever played.

For example, this right here is one of the hardest levels I've completed: God knows how long it would take to do it again, after having not played for like 2 years:
Episode 69-4: "mazed"
And yes, homing rockets. I stopped playing Mario Endgame, then started playing this again... just to get punished some more!

Let's cut this review off because what more can I say about a game with a title is one... letter... long?



Donald Fuck

Donald Fuck. Words fail.


It's so redundant.
BANANA SLAMMA.
-Super Mario Run
-Crazy Bus-there is nothing crazy about this "game" except the music
-Super Columbine Massacre RPG-just the name is insensitive
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island-The Yoshi's Island part is fine, but I am not a fan of slapping a '2' on the title if it's a prequel. If the events in the sequel take place before the predecessor chronologically but time travel is involved or if the fact that it's a prequel is meant to be a plot twist, then it's fine
-(insert random perfectly mundane object or concept) Simulator-Examples: Shower Simulator, Box Simulator, Job Simulator, Goat Simulator. They're so laughably bad but also starting to become an overused gag.
Yoshi's New Island-I'm also not a fan of "same title as predecessor except put the word 'new.'"

--------------------
Legacy custom music
A site where you can watch my YT videos AND be able to hit that dislike where your dislike will be visible to other people and not have to rely on a browser extension

Any game named the same as a previous entry in the series or is otherwise confusing in some way.

As much as I love the new Doom game, did it really have to be called DOOM? That just makes it confusing as you now have to clarify whether you're talking about Doom (1993) or Doom (2016). I mean, Doom 3 was a reboot and they still called it Doom 3. Doom 4 would have been a fitting title imo. They could have at-least added a subtitle to it (like they did with Wolfenstein: the New Order).

Of course, id is not the only company to commit this sin. There's Tomb Raider 2013, Thief (2014... I believe?), etc. etc. Oh, and while I've had fun with the Battlefield One beta, how the fuck do we refer to the original Battlefield game?

And then of course, there's the Xbox One. Not a game but a console, so I think it's related. Microsoft, pls. 720 would have been a better name, imo... especially with how many times they rotated and changed what features the Xbox One would have :^)

- BMM
WTF?

Also, XEXYZ.
Here's some names that I think are ridiculously bad.*

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! — A Reckless Disregard for Gravity


Who's going to remember all those letters? On Steam, this game's name is shortened to "AaAaAA", so I guess this title really was too long to remember.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX


This one's here just because the mix of Arabic and Roman numerals really bug me. The next Kingdom Hearts remix will be called "Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue", which is actually sort of a funny title in its clunkiness.

I Want My Mommy


Where's My Mommy?


I decided to put these similar titles together. Maybe a title asking for mommy would work best for a horror game, but I Want My Mommy is an Atari 2600 platformer about a teddy bear trying to find his mommy bear. Where's My Mommy is an autorunner about poop (on Steam), so... let's move on.

Tinkle Pit


Oh, come on! We just got done with Where's My Mommy. This one's an action/puzzle/maze game, though. Unfortunate title for sure, but maybe this one is cheating, since it was a Japan-only arcade title. It probably doesn't sound nearly as silly in Japanese.

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary


Apparently, the title for this Vita/PC game is supposed to be "Hotaru no Nikki", B#t whQ: #QuLd p0$5Lb)y g=+ t#@t Qu+ 0f T#E [email protected]=: htoL#NiQ?

*I don't really hate any of these titles. I find them more amusing if anything. Except for "ll.5", bleh.
Originally posted by UTF
Who's going to remember all those letters?
i guarantee this is the name so it appears first in your library, and you're more likely to play it. I had a game called // NDPP or something, and the name got changed because it was obvious what they were doing.


I think that any kind of title that includes a stupid character name. I opened steam and immediately saw "The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav" and it's like "Satinav sounds dumb. This game sounds dumb"
I guess as an extension of that, any name that tries to be funny. Because it will usually fall flat. Like "Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora". Get it? Yeah it isn't very funny, is it.

--------------------
r̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲a̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲t̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲s̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲p̲̲̲̲̲̲̲a̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲w̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲n̲̲̲̲̲̲̲̲
Originally posted by Hobz
Like "Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora". Get it? Yeah it isn't very funny, is it.


Actually, I don't even get it. lol

--------------------
Хуй войне!

桐生会FOREVER #ThankYouCoco / Rest in peace, Near, thank you for everything
Little Samson has a questionable title, even though I don't think it's a bad title. It definitely sounds like a bible-themed game and most bible games on the NES are trash, sooo....

Some people have speculated that the game did poorly because people though it was one of the bad, unlicensed bible games that were published by Wisdom Tree, though I'm not sure if I believe that. Were the Wisdom Tree games very common? I doubt the reputation of their games was large enough to affect Little Samson. I could be wrong though.

Originally posted by Sokobansolver
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island-The Yoshi's Island part is fine, but I am not a fan of slapping a '2' on the title if it's a prequel. If the events in the sequel take place before the predecessor chronologically but time travel is involved or if the fact that it's a prequel is meant to be a plot twist, then it's fine


I'm actually fine with numbering a prequel '2' or so on, provided it is actually a prequel. Yoshi's Island doesn't isn't really connected to SMW more than any other Mario game, so the title is misleading. I was actually confused when I first played this game because I expected something similar to SMW, though I still enjoyed YI a lot. I don't like slapping a title on a game to connect it to an unrelated game for marketing reasons.

--------------------


6 Inch My Darling



A Sega Saturn visual novel starring three 6 inch tall women.
No tiny penises, sadly.

Fun fact: It's by the same developer as Recca, Kick Master and Pepsiman (KID).

--------------------
HackPortsASM"Uploader"

"AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! — A Reckless Disregard for Gravity" was mentioned but no one mentioned one of their other games:

1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)


...or its sequel:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome
why does this thread didn't belong to the Gaming forum
Tounge of the Fatman
I'm a Fatman in an evil world...

The 3rd World War
OH GOD WHAT 😵
Booby Kids
Yikes! 😱

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Originally posted by Planet Dolan
This is a good example of a great game that was hurt in sales because of poor naming, I mean the title honestly sounds like a game all about mediocre humour or possibly a kid’s game when it is definitely neither of those things.

Bravely Default
Best game ever...worst name ever. #smw{-_-2}
Not sure where to put here... or is it? (Also: Yay! Old layout!)
Help us raise funds for the Armed Forces of Ukraine. #ДопомагаємоРазом / #HelpTogether
“Even if you personally are so dissatisfied with life that you want the world to end, surely the cruel reality is that it will continue on, unchanging. All the better for someone perfectly content, like me.”
Aya Shameimaru, Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days

This name confuses the fuck out of me. Is it '358 and a half days' or '358 over 2 days'?
Originally posted by kamekku14
The 3rd World War
OH GOD WHAT 😵

is that bill clinton shaking hands with saddam hussein
Yoshiatom's Post
Originally posted by Y.Y.
Also, XEXYZ.


Pfft, step up your last alphabet letters game:

Layout by Koopster!

<DeputyBS> I knew it
<DeputyBS> alcarobot is taking over the world through his truck dealership franchise
Somari
Hi, I'm a signature!
Hack Thread
Hack Testing Status: Available.
Layout by Koopster.
Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind. We don't need more animal puns. What could pawssibly go wrong?

--------------------
Wait, how did I not know about this thread yet? Probably because it wasn't posted in gaming.

Anyways, how comes Plumbers Don't Wear Ties wasn't mentioned yet? I thought that game was infamous.

Sometimes names also go horribly wrong in localisation. For example: Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise is the European name of Rhythm Heaven Fever. I really hate that name, because if you're not familiar with the series, it's hard to distinguish it from just Rhythm Paradise, the prequel. They just shouldn't have degraded Rhythm Paradise to a subtitle.

Another example would be the Mystic Quest series, if you can even call it that. Squaresoft once developed a game called Seiken Densetsu, they brought it to North America and called it Final Fantasy Adventure, then they brought it to Europe and called it Mystic Quest. Later they developed an RPG just for the west and called it Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in North America, but in Europe, they renamed it to Final Fantasy Legend. Could it get any more confusing than that? Eventually they released a sequel to Seiken Densetsu, just called Seiken Densetsu 2 in Japan. They brought that game to the west as Secret of Mana. At least the game had the same name in North America and Europe. However, this name just made everything even more confusing. Now we have a bunch of different names for the games that have no connection at all, except for for "Mystic Quest" and "Mystic Quest Legend", which do have a connection, but aren't even part of the same series, therefore making this connection completely worthless. That's how you completely fuck up the naming of your games.

I can also think of an example specific to Germany. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was named Mario & Luigi: Abenteuer Bowser in Germany, which pretty much just translates to "Mario & Luigi: Adventure Bowser". If that isn't a lame title, I really don't know what is.

Technically, I also need to mention the Ace Attorney series here. I mean, how can you go from a conveniently numbered list of games called "Gyakuten Saiban", "Gyakuten Saiban 2" etc. to something like "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations". It only got worse when they arrived at the fourth entry, since that one had a different protagonist, so they couldn't just call it Phoenix Wright. However, Ace Attorney had always been handled as a subtitle for the series. So they called this game Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, making for even more confusion. Yeah, the series is pretty much an unfixable mess at this point.

And really, this wasn't the only time Capcom did that. They have some kind of talent for bad localised game titles, going from Biohazard to Resident Evil, from Rockman to Mega Man and probably more.

I could probably keep talking for hours. There are just way too many examples of game names that went horribly wrong! #w{xD}

--------------------
Feel free to visit my website/blog - it's updated rarely, but it looks pretty cool!
Super Mario World is a bad title. The game takes place on an archipelago without any towns or villages and there really isn't much variation in the environments (no jungles, no deserts, only one snow level). If anything, Super Mario Bros. 3 should have been Super Mario World, because that game actually takes place in different kingdoms with wildly different environments.

--------------------


Originally posted by RPG Hacker
Wait, how did I not know about this thread yet? Probably because it wasn't posted in gaming.

Anyways, how comes Plumbers Don't Wear Ties wasn't mentioned yet? I thought that game was infamous.

Sometimes names also go horribly wrong in localisation. For example: Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise is the European name of Rhythm Heaven Fever. I really hate that name, because if you're not familiar with the series, it's hard to distinguish it from just Rhythm Paradise, the prequel. They just shouldn't have degraded Rhythm Paradise to a subtitle.

Another example would be the Mystic Quest series, if you can even call it that. Squaresoft once developed a game called Seiken Densetsu, they brought it to North America and called it Final Fantasy Adventure, then they brought it to Europe and called it Mystic Quest. Later they developed an RPG just for the west and called it Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in North America, but in Europe, they renamed it to Final Fantasy Legend. Could it get any more confusing than that? Eventually they released a sequel to Seiken Densetsu, just called Seiken Densetsu 2 in Japan. They brought that game to the west as Secret of Mana. At least the game had the same name in North America and Europe. However, this name just made everything even more confusing. Now we have a bunch of different names for the games that have no connection at all, except for for "Mystic Quest" and "Mystic Quest Legend", which do have a connection, but aren't even part of the same series, therefore making this connection completely worthless. That's how you completely fuck up the naming of your games.

I can also think of an example specific to Germany. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was named Mario & Luigi: Abenteuer Bowser in Germany, which pretty much just translates to "Mario & Luigi: Adventure Bowser". If that isn't a lame title, I really don't know what is.

Technically, I also need to mention the Ace Attorney series here. I mean, how can you go from a conveniently numbered list of games called "Gyakuten Saiban", "Gyakuten Saiban 2" etc. to something like "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations". It only got worse when they arrived at the fourth entry, since that one had a different protagonist, so they couldn't just call it Phoenix Wright. However, Ace Attorney had always been handled as a subtitle for the series. So they called this game Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, making for even more confusion. Yeah, the series is pretty much an unfixable mess at this point.

And really, this wasn't the only time Capcom did that. They have some kind of talent for bad localised game titles, going from Biohazard to Resident Evil, from Rockman to Mega Man and probably more.

I could probably keep talking for hours. There are just way too many examples of game names that went horribly wrong! #w{xD}


That reminds me of something...

The dilemma to naming the old Final Fantasy titles. Take for example Final Fantasy VI. It was called Final Fantasy III in the US. Then what happend to IV? Why not call it II! But what happend to V, III, and II? Let's just keep II and III exclusive to Japan while we keep V waiting for a total of seven years! Isn't Square great?

But some titles of the series got rereleased in a modern look, albeit having a different name.

--------------------
Pages: « 1 2 » Link
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Forum Graveyard - Media - Ridiculously Bad Video Game Names

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2022 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks