Banner
Views: 854,164,062
Time:
22 users online: Amine Retro,  bebn legg, Carld923, crm0622, Darizard, Dippy, ExONightZ, imamelia, Infinity,  JamesD28, KaidenThelens, kellykelster,  KevinM,  Lazy, monkey03297,  NeXuS15, Red Chameleon, RedCrescent96, Sixcorby, SwampMage, toad64, TruffledToad - Guests: 53 - Bots: 59 Users: 47,134 (2,480 active)
Latest: Bruno_Peixoto
Tip: Do you want to make fancy HDMA but don't know ASM? Worry no more, because with Effect Tool, fancy HDMA effects can easily be created.Not logged in.
SMW Central Idol 8.5: Discussion
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - SMW Central Idol 8.5: Discussion
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Thread Closed
Questions/discussion can go here.
Oh, so the Idol is being rebooted? Hmm, just curious: will there be any problems in using trackers then using a MML converter to get the MML like last time? I did see that the challenge said to port a SNES song without using the game`s original samples, so maybe its possible to use methods other than just MML (as long as you dont use the game`s samples, of course)?

Also, is it needed to loop the text files, or can you just let them be? Again, just some stuff I need to know.
Layout by Mathos
@Theultimate12 I didn't loop my text files last year's idol, so probably it isn't necessary. I'm not sure about that tracker to mml converter thing though.
Originally posted by Pinci
@Theultimate12 I didn't loop my text files last year's idol, so probably it isn't necessary. I'm not sure about that tracker to mml converter thing though.


Well, I mean, I guess S.N.N is making the rules like this to prevent cheating and to give tracker users a chance, but I dunno if it IS allowed or not. And really? In that case, then I might take a shot at this again (since tbh the ONLY thing keeping me from submitting files to the music section is because of me not looping the MMLs. Yeah, I know, it could be solved if I just took some time, but since I have school and the fact that there`s not a detailed tutorial on how to do this in the first place, I dont have much to go for this). XD
Layout by Mathos
do i have to participate in the first round again or do i get a free pass to round 2
Theultimate12: Not concerned about looping. After all, it's the userbase who decides which tracks move on to the next round, and they are only worried about how good it sounds.

MercuryPenny: If you were eliminated in round 1 of the other Idol, you have to re-enter this one from the start. If you were eliminated in round 2 of the other Idol, you get a free pass on this round but have to enter round 2.
50 DOLLAR GRAND PRIZE #wario{O_O}#wario{O_O}#wario{O_O}

so the rules are that you cant use samples from the game you're porting the song from, but can you use samples from a different game?
(aka, can you cheese it and get an identical sound font from a different game and use it)
Originally posted by S.N.N.
Theultimate12: Not concerned about looping. After all, it's the userbase who decides which tracks move on to the next round, and they are only worried about how good it sounds.

MercuryPenny: If you were eliminated in round 1 of the other Idol, you have to re-enter this one from the start. If you were eliminated in round 2 of the other Idol, you get a free pass on this round but have to enter round 2.


Yeah, thought so. I mean, this is supposed to be focused around the overall sound and not if it can be insertable to SMW or not, so yeah. Trackers are allowed, though, right? If that`s the case, I`m in. Lets see how far I can go... XD
Layout by Mathos
Originally posted by S.N.N.
MercuryPenny: If you were eliminated in round 1 of the other Idol, you have to re-enter this one from the start. If you were eliminated in round 2 of the other Idol, you get a free pass on this round but have to enter round 2.

so if i was supposed to go on to round 2 but ended up not submitting, that means i have to re-enter from the start?
I would assume dropping out of round 2 counts as being eliminated from round 2. (i.e. you get free pass to round 2)

--------------------
soundcloud / bandcamp / twitter / battle of the bits / buy our album
Do the requirements allow me to simply use any other samples so long as they weren't ripped from the game?
E: because I originally understood it was supposed to be unsampled, lol

And damn, thanks so much for the opportunity to enter this time around.
LINKS Twitter | YouTube | SoundCloud | Fortaleza Reznor
to hear birds and see none.
Originally posted by Hobz
the song from, but can you use samples from a different game?
(aka, can you cheese it and get an identical sound font from a different game and use it)


You can do this.

It should be noted, however, that this is a contest based around how good a song sounds, so if you end up fudging together a really accurate port using similar samples from a different game, it may not fare as well as you'd think.

Originally posted by Theultimate12

Yeah, thought so. I mean, this is supposed to be focused around the overall sound and not if it can be insertable to SMW or not, so yeah. Trackers are allowed, though,


Yeah, go for it. The challenge this round is more about sample usage than anything I think, so I don't see why using a tracker would be a problem.

Originally posted by MercuryPenny
so if i was supposed to go on to round 2 but ended up not submitting, that means i have to re-enter from the start?


Since you made it to round 2, you get a free pass to round 2. You do not have to enter this round (unless you want to do something for fun??)

Originally posted by MaxodeX
Do the requirements allow me to simply use any other samples so long as they weren't ripped from the game?
E: because I originally understood it was supposed to be unsampled, lol


That's correct. You can use any samples you wish as long as they are not from the game you're porting form (and as mentioned above, if you can find similar sounding samples in a different game, all the power to you - however, accuracy doesn't necessarily mean you'll beat out someone who made a really badass remix of another SNES song using non-identical samples).
Am I allowed to use samples not come from any SNES game (eg. ripped from a MIDI soundfont)?

Also I am so glad I got a official chance to re-enter the contest.
Hopefully this challenge allows me to pull out something decent/actually enter. Not so sure though, I'm a bit rusty with my porting lol
Originally posted by tcdw
Am I allowed to use samples not come from any SNES game (eg. ripped from a MIDI soundfont)?


Yeah, that's fine.
Quick question is we're allowed to use as much ARAM as we want? Usually leave a modest amount but.....

Originally posted by Theultimate12

Well, I mean, I guess S.N.N is making the rules like this to prevent cheating and to give tracker users a chance, but I dunno if it IS allowed or not. And really? In that case, then I might take a shot at this again.


If you're trying to do what I think you want to do then yes it is legal as long as you're able to submit the MML file. How you go about it isn't as important as the end result.

Crisis for me is whether to port something nice & slow, something adventurous, or perhaps a popular one?
generally the more obscure songs go over better when porting. If it's a popular song then we know what it's supposed to sound like, and deliberately or not we'll be comparing it to the original rather than only seeing it for its own merits.

That's what I've found, at least.
I certainly expected to get higher results for my clock town port since I didn't feel like I ported it badly at all, so what Hobz says seems to be right to me (or maybe I'm a narcissist).

--------------------
If I had bothered to vote, the Clock Town ports would have been at the top of my list. Not that it matters since you get a free pass anyway.
Layout by Erik557
Hi.
Originally posted by Brozilla
Quick question is we're allowed to use as much ARAM as we want?


Sure, that's fine.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Thread Closed
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - Old Contests & Events - SMW Central Idol 8.5: Discussion

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy