There are a total of six new participants who will be looking to join the ranks of the other victors. Two of these six will be eliminated. Your job is to download the ZIP with all six SPCs, and then rank them in order from your favorite to least favorite. At the end, the two who received the lowest number of votes will be eliminated. Note that if you participated, you of course cannot vote.
You have until Friday, November 25th, 11:59 EST you cast your vote.
What was challenge #1? ~Port any SNES song, but DO NOT use any samples from the game you are porting the song from. For instance, if you are porting a track from Chrono Trigger, you cannot use any samples from Chrono Trigger. You may also use SMW's samples wherever necessary.~
SM Choukyoushi Hitomi - Sounds really great. That bass line is rocking and all the instruments are fantastic. Lotta fun and a great mood. Loving this very much.
Megaman Soccer - Sounds great. Main melody sounds a little disjointed but not in a bad way. A lot of energy and those crushed samples are great.
Lufia 2 - Sounds great. Love the progression and energy. All the samples sound great. Not much more to say about it.
Chrono Trigger - Sounds good. All the samples sound great. Not much more to say about it.
Megaman & Bass - Sounds good. All the samples sound good. Not much more to say about it.
The Sweet Release of Death
7 Grand Dad - if round 1's challenge was to convince me that my spc player was broken, then this would be first and I'd have to admit you got me. But it isn't so you're either already advancing to round 2 or you're deaf. Even though there are only 6 entries I'm still ranking this 7th because the people that didn't port anything still did a better job than this. (jk i really liked this port)
Knowning none of the originals i´d rank it as following:
1st: Megaman & Bass - Coldman: Nice, relaxing melody. Great arrangement. Pleasure to listen to. Cannot say why i rank this better this is first and not second, but somehow i just like it more.
2nd: SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07: Nice, relaxing melody. Great arrangement. Pleasure to listen to. Very well done.
3rd: Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals: Battle #2: it was hard to decide whether Lufia or Chrono Trigger is my personal 3rd. Both sound pretty good. Maybe i just ranked Lufia better due to personal nostalgia..?
1. Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2 - Something about the instrument samples just makes this sound even better than the original. Did you get them from a PS1 game or something? Outstanding job.
2. Megaman's Soccer - Wood Field - An improvement on the original's instrumentation. Are these from MMX1-3?
3. SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07 - Sounds hella upbeat, I dig it~ also im not surprised that this is from an unlicensed snes porn game lmao
4. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals - Battle 2 - An extremely accurate port of the original. Great job.
5. Megaman & Bass - Cold Man - Sounds really muffled compared to the original. As a fan of MM&B's soundtrack, I'm disappointed.
6. 7 GRAND DAD - you couldnt have gone for something that wasnt a dead horse by now?
1) Battle #2: this is my favorite song from the lufia 2 soundtrack. the percussion lost some power but this is a solid port of a solid track.
2) Track 07: good sample choices, never heard this song before but it's a pretty good choice too.
3) Cold Man: this is how you do a semi-sampled port tbh
4) Wood Field: i think the bass might be a little flat, but this is actually pretty good! i'd place it higher but the others are just too good to put in 4th
5) Boss Battle 2: this definitely isn't one of my favorite tracks in the game and it lost a lot of power due to the sample choices. the transcription is pretty close but it's just overall pretty weak imo (also it doesn't loop right lol)
6) 7 GRAND DAD: u tried
1.- Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals: Battle #2: Sounds like Final Fantasy 4, and I love it.
2.- Megaman & Bass - Coldman : Vanilla Ice Cream Man.
3.- SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07 : Reminds me of kirby.
4.- Chrono Trigger - Battle #2: It Sounds Greatly Imperial.
5.- Megaman's Soccer - Wood Field: Guitars, I can oly say guitars.
6.-7 GRAN DAD: FLINSTONES?!
-------------------- Made you look. Now Breath Manualy.
1.- Mega Man & Bass - Coldman
2.- Mega Man Soccer - Wood Field: Nice
3.- SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07
4.- Lufia 2, Rise of the Sinistrals - Battle 2.spc
5.- Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2.spc
6.- Flintstones Theme 7 GRAND DAD
edit: shoutouts to hobz for giving me an mp3 of woodman
1. SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07 (not familiar with the original at all but this sounds great. very nice bouncy feel to it, you'd think the very synthy bass would sound out of place in a kinda ska flavoured track but it works well here)
2. Lufia 2 - Battle 2 (very neat FF style port of a good song, not much to say other than good job)
3. Coldman (good blend of vanilla and custom samples tho cuz smw snare sucks the hats kinda come through more clearly than the snare. thats my only real nitpick tho the arrangement is otherwise quite nice)
4. Wood Field (sounds like an old pc soundcard. pretty sure this is intentional and it kinda works but its also a bit harsh and the longer sustained notes dont really sound that nice. also the snare is too hard to hear, it could use a stronger backbeat imo)
5. Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2 (lacking dynamics and impact. cutting the timpani was a bad decision tbh and the snare rolls sound super muddy with that sample, other stuff sounds decent tho)
ah, the annual smw central me 8.5 contest. bittersweet memories. i dont have much to say about the tracks tbh. megamans soccer sounds like a dragonforce midi at times though which is really funny to me. also i have no idea what 7 grand dad is as a meme but i enjoyed it. Sounds good. All the samples sound great. Not much more to say about it.
Lufia 2, Rise of the Sinistrals - Battle 2.spc SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07.spc Megaman's Soccer - Wood Field.spc Megaman & Bass - Cold Man.spc Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2.spc 7 GRAND DAD.spc
1. SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07.spc: this uses none of the original track's samples!?
2. Lufia 2, Rise of the Sinistrals - Battle 2.spc
3. Megaman & Bass - Cold Man.spc: good job with SMW's samples! I dig it.
4. Megaman's Soccer - Wood Field.spc
5. Chrono Trigger 2 - Boss Battle 2.spc: samples sound a bit detuned to me?
6. 7 GRAND DAD.spc
1. Megaman & Bass - Cold Man: i'm a sucker for (mostly) unsampled tbh and this is a hard pick but gotta go with megaman
2. SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07: i just really like the samples. remind me of bust-a-move both in composition and in technicality (i've done zero research into finding out if this is actually some bust-a-move thing)
3. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals - Battle 2: the opening's strong as hell and i love it... till it loses the punch it had before. it picks up after a while, though, and it sounds really neato afterwards
4. Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2: sounds detuned and doesn't feel like it has that same strength to it. not a fan honestly. also the loop is not gucci
5. Megaman's Soccer - Wood Field: was expecting mm2wood.mid and i'm very disappointed. the samples are obnoxious and loud too
6. 7 GRAND DAD: if the challenge was to make a port with an mp3 to midi generation you fucking nailed it bro
#1 Lufia 2, Rise of the Sinistrals - Battle 2: The slide at the beginning is off, but aside from that it's a pretty good port of an awesome song, and I like the samples used.
#2 SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07: I really like how cheery this sounds. The Brass Section sample doesn't go that well with the rest though.
#3 Megaman & Bass - Cold Man: The slides sound a bit too fast/sudden, mostly because you used legato and the original game used portamento. This could've been avoided by doing manual pitch slides, but I guess that takes too much time. The rest is pretty damn good though.
#4 Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2: This isn't bad by any means and I'd rank it higher if it wasn't for the fact that most of the samples lack power and sound slightly detuned. And last but not least, it appears one channel ends a split second too early, screwing up the loop.
#5 Megaman's Soccer - Wood Field: Not a bad attempt, but for the love of whatever you believe in, use more reasonable volumes next time. Also, that bass is super detuned and the hi-hat is a bit too loud in my opinion.
#6 7 GRAND DAD: This had potential, but you used @9 instead of @7. 0/10.
1. Lufia 2, Rise of the Sinistrals - Battle 2 This sound very accurate! Final Fantasy sound is fit here. 2. SM Choukyoushi Hitomi Vol 3.10 - Track 07 This song cute! Ｏ(≧∇≦)Ｏ But I'm complaint is little short and repetitive... 3. Megaman & Bass - Cold Man I'm fan of original song. Super Mario World sample sound good here, but I think different sample choice would better. 4. Chrono Trigger - Battle 2 Song is not bad, but sample sound too low passed than original. 5. 7 GRAND DAD Love it! GRAND DAD! (ᗒᗨᗕ) 6. Megaman's Soccer - Wood Field Song does not play on SPC700 Player...