The pink you're using for your sky is REALLY bright, it hurts my eyes a little. mostly because it's all over the screen.
Maybe try to tone that down a little?
Don't make it darker, make it a bit less saturated.
-------------------- Your layout has been removed.
yeah that's a very surface level observation of the genre/aesthetic. You might want to delve deeper and do some more research if you want your level to be more authentic. There's a lot more to it than "pink and a big sun"
You'll also need to put a lot more effort into the aesthetics as a whole. I get you just started but those are very empty screens, and for an aesthetic level no real aesthetics on screen is a problem lol
I would strongly suggest making the shade of pink for the sky more light and pastel, like one of these colors.
Second of all, I would recommend the use of gradients when you make your palettes. For example, the water is all one shade of pink. You can fix that by making the leftmost color darker pink, the right one light pink, and clicking ALT and the two colors together forms them into a gradient.
The FG itself is far too saturated, I would make the dirt tiles a much lighter shade of orange, and the grass a more seafoam green, like this.
Um, it definitely looks better! The foreground grass looks good. Now I would red the dirt tiles so the are lighter and softer. Not brighter, just softer.
Also, the pink water needs redoing, it's too saturated and bright, with no gradient. The red sky looks better, but I still think a softer, more pastel shade of pink or pinkish red would look better. Now, if you're trying to make a sunset, I would really suggest a fake hdma gradient, but fake hdma has to be done particularly well or else it makes the level look worse. I like the statue ideas, but the Mario head statue looks kinda odd, I think you could make statues out of silver goombas and koopas instead. Also, the statues themselves could be a little more silver.
Yes i renamed the Level, because not everything is really a Beach
I also released a Video of the first half of the Level Video
Not a bad level at all.
Things i would critisize:
- Try to make the Flashing in the ExAnimated Area a bit smoother. The color transitions are really sharp and i.m.o. eye-searing.
- The Water at the beginning has a similar color as the background. Maybe you want to change the color of one of them so they differ a bit more (i mean, since this a an abstract beach you can keep/the red/pink but maybe you´d like to desaturate one of those colors a bit)
- The partially translucent Mario-Head at about 0:48 is kinda weird i.m.o.
- the black squares at 0:55... wel their discussable i´d say. maybe a better solution for a death-pit could be found, but at least this isn´t an absolutely bad design idea.
- Level-design wise this level is ok i´d say. Nothing outstanding. Not on the plus side, but not on the bad either
Maybe you want to change some of the mentioned points. Good luck with your level.
Yeah just like Leiras said, you should work more on the color transitions on the second part. Lunar Magic allows up to 256 entries/frames on a ExAnimation slot, so there's no excuse in making it fast ;)
ill admit, I rolled my eyes at the original screenshot, but man, you did it. This was much better than I expected it to be, and a faithful showing of the vision you clearly had in your head.
Three suggestions I'd offer, since you have time.
- try to put more words and phrases on layer 3 in the outside areas. Having them remain static in the air like that is a little off, it'd look much much better if they had some sort of scrolling to them
- try to smoothen out the exanimation in the later sections. the switch in colours is pretty sudden, I'd try to find a way to smoothen it out to make it look good
- think of a better name for it! Aesthetic Land sounds really stupid, and i guess it represents your level good enough, but Aesthetic Land in Aesthetic world is pretty lame. Try coming up with a real name if you want your level to stand out more on its own merits rather then seeming like a joke.
But yeah, awesome stuff. The auto-scrolling section was my favourite.
Yeah, too many memes will make it seem dumb. However, the Japanese text in the auto stroller added to the atmosphere. Usually, I'd have maybe 1 or 2 phrases towards the end, maybe in a hidden room, to add to the atmosohere. As is, you kinda overdid it. The aesthetics look pretty great though!