Originally posted by Hobz
[really much content here]
Overall, WOW that was an incredibly solid level. I love it! As a whole, the difficulty curve was great (though there are some moments where the difficulty can spike unexpectedly, but it's never unmanageable). It's a very long level, but I think it justifies its length with the amount of content. Maybe somebody else will have a better idea of what can be cut, because I'm drawing a blank!
Awesome level, probably the most fun I've had in a level yet!
Thank you Hobz for all the things you mentioned. There are definitely some little details i weren´t aware of, that they could be a bit annoying. I´m definitely going to fix many of them.
Also I´m very glad you liked my level that much. I really appreciate your fast feedback.
I´ll do my best at fixing all the thing you mentioned to give the player the best experience he can get
Originally posted by GbreezeSunset
Yeah the palettes look super nice!! Much better.
Wow, i didn´t expect that such little changes could change your thoughts "that much". I´m glad i did good with the palettes because i usually suck at custom-coloring my levels
things i fixed:
- if you start the level running, you jump directly into the monty mole and die. I'd move him to the right two tiles
> Mole is now a green Koopa that starts about 5 tiles more to the right
- maybe make that first brown brick wall 2 tiles high, right now it looks kind of awkward and i think just making it a 2 tile wall to block in the mole would be better.
> don´t understand it, but i guess it´s just a minor aesthetical thing so fixing won´t be absolutely necessary?
- in the bonus room with the yoshi coin, you can just running jump up to the coin. if you can move it up 1 tile I would. also this room has the wrong vertical camera entrance which makes it jump like that. If it's possible I'd move mario to keep it from doing that.
> Putting the platform 1 tile higher makes it even hard to reach it with the green springboard (just works in 50% of all tries)
> I hate vertical levels for their strange camera issues >.<
-using the green dots as a spring board as well as a 1f0 is a little confusing. I thought those green dots were solid to mario but not sprites, which threw me off. (not a big deal though, you learn pretty quickly!)
> When you enter the 1st bonus it should be quite clear that they are srpingboards and not platforms
- i wish that first yoshi coin room didnt skip so many mega mole sections. I went through them backwards and they looked like a lot of fun i missed out on!
> Pipe is now 1 obstacle more to the left
- I'd move that mini mole at the second yoshi coin over, or give the player a power-up immediately before getting to it. Right now you have a 1 tile gap to avoid getting hit, while you're already on a timed lift. Super easy to die here.
> You get a powerup right after the yoshiCoin. I don´t want to have a WiiU-like Level (=powerup-spam)
- i'm not a fan of the mega mole over the midway point/mushroom/pipe to next section. I think that area should be left safe.
> Is removed
- for a 1-up bonus, this is pretty freakin hard! Maybe add a second mega mole to the walking to give you more room to stand on?
> But this would make it harder to calculate how they move and jumping from Mola A to Mole B would be even harder than riding this one Mole
- the bonus room also skips a lot of content I want to see!
> There´s nothing i can do much about this without changing the entire section, i guess. Since i´m very slow at level-building i cannot do this in time.
- the sparsely used koopas are a strange addition. I was under the impression this was a MOLES ONLY kind of thing, so once koopas started showing up sparsely i got all confused. Maybe put some more in the beginning/throughout to establish they'll be a common enemy?
> Added 2-4 Koopas more in the entire level. It should be clear that this isn´t a mole-only level (it even starts with a koopa now)
- when jumping for that mushroom after the p-switch "run", i keep falling into the mega mole and dying. idk what can be done to make that easier. maybe give the mega mole more space on the right to walk?
> The MegaMole has now 1 tile more to move. I hope it´s easier now.
- that 4 second timed lift/mega mole thing with the chuck is ridiculous! I dont understand how I'm even supposed to make this jump on my first few go throughs. I'd definitely only use the timed lift to make it easier to clear that gap (maybe put a mini mole on the munchers you can bounce on)
> Added yellow blocks above the muncher to make this jump easier for switch-users. I know it may be the hardest jump in the entire level. But you cannot deny it´s creative, isn´t it?
- i misunderstood your moon puzzle. I thought you had to damage boost through the chuck and then bounce on him to kill him to let the mole through. i had no idea what the yoshi or shell were even for (until after) lol
> Well, Puzzles aren´t always instantly clear, i guess?
- the moon being gone from that sign post after you grab it is a nice touch
> Thank you
- i thought i had to ride that timed lift after the 1-up checkpoint, so i jumped up before i had a chance to see it fall to the blue tiles below. Maybe replace the ledges with a way to go back down after you see the timed lift fall
> You now can go back