- idk if there's gonna be a status bar fix in the final collab but the MARIO
looks pretty off without a black outline
- when that chain of 3 bats flies through the rising/falling 2 pipes they clip behind the pipe top but in front of the stem, and it looks really bad. I think you can change sprite priority to put the bats over the pipe by replacing them or with the scroll wheel
- that first jump over the pipes with spikes on them to the skull raft isnt easy without momentum, which I lost because I stopped on the falling platform
- The dino rhinos jump up to the rising pipe and clip through the top, running around the inside of it
- That brown platform despawns because my screen is still scrolled to the right, so when it goes offscreen it doesnt come back. Dont make the player scroll their screen ever if you then have sprites that spawn on line guides that can then go off screen
- the mushroom in this vertical level is stupid, because it literally traps you and forces you to take a hit if you go for it. What's the point of punishing a player for grabbing a mushroom you'r giving them? I'd move the saw over
- this vertical level has a lot of trial and error. There are countless times where standing on the wrong pipe just traps you in a pit ands slowly rise you into a saw you cant avoid. Considering I have to go through the entire first section again every time this happens, eugh
- In the third sublevel, after scrolling the screen to the right to allow me to get past the two saws, I run through the hallway and run directly into a ball n chain i had no way of seeing because my screen is scrolled to the right. The little section where you avoid them while the layer 2 goes up and down is neat tho
- at the third(?) yoshi coin, I thought i had to scroll the platform behind me to the left to grab it. when the brown platform came up from the spikes, i went to jump on it instead but with my screen scrolled it went away and i took a hit. I guess more clarity to make it more obvious you dont scroll your screen there (unless the point is to deliberately trick the player, in which case dont)
- At the mushroom eaters at the door, there's like no way to jump back to safety if you land on the platform while it's too high. I'd add a little platform in between, even if its a grey falling one
- You give the player a blue block and a dino torch, yet apparently blue blocks dont kill dino torches?
- the reveal of the layer 2 smash was good
- the smash at the fourth yoshi coin is kind of lame that it kills you. Because the yoshi coin is right there it doesnt even register that it's going to drop all the way to the floor if you only see it rising. But I guess it's right at a midpoint so it's whatever.
- Spin jumping on the two fuzzies while you wait for the layer 2 to drop isnt exactly a challenge, it's just kind of awkwardly waiting for the layer 2 to drop back down
- the platforms in the speedy section dont seem spaced out to accommodate for mario's crazy jumping distance. Even with coin guides some of these jumps are ridiculous.
- that song was real cool, but didnt really match the tone of the level much (aside from the bg I guess)
Overall, cool level, a lot of interesting ideas, but it's also pretty sloppy, with some things being clearly better designed than others. Most of the swoopers and dino torches are only there to get in your way, and none of them really pose an actual threat beyond not noticing them coming at you. Most of the difficulty seems to rely on knowing what to do beforehand, rather then clearly laying it out. There's nothing wrong with a level demanding quick reflexes and spontaneous thinking or w/e, but the layer 2 also causes a slower play style, which works against it.
It's not a level that benefits from being this long. I get the idea is to explore all the different ways to use layer 2 or w/e, but it's too much. I personally think you could afford to cut the vertical section entirely, and i like the ending super fast room, but yeah it's janky and all busted up, which the rest of the level isn't at all. It thematically stands out as a different idea altogether.
Keep in mind that any yoshi coins collected aren't saved until you grab the midpoint, so if you get the 1-up checkpoint and die, you lose every coin you got before it. (idk if you compensated for that)
[L to R: Nice.; This happened a lot. I started trying to run because the coin guides were on the ground, and then I got hit. I left a save state after it happened the first time, and yeah, every time this was all I could get it to do (the first time it happened about 2 tiles away from the pipe).]